Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which Wireless Router Should I Purchase?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which Wireless Router Should I Purchase?

I know Drizzid had a post a while back asking for recommendations for a new router. I feel that I should start a new topic specifically for wireless routers.

Okay, long and short of the story is this:
    After about 5 months, I finally got one of my older systems in the back of the house back up and running. The problem is I'm still on a 4 port wired router and DSL. So, instead of getting a 4 port switch so the system in the back can hook up, I thought I would search for a wireless router. In addition, over the last 6 or so years, my download speed has dropped by some 30 kbps (bytes not bits). I am fairly certain my current router is the cause of this slow down, since I have tested a direct hookup to the modem and got very nice speeds (80 kbps to 100 kbps).

So, I have researched a little, and have come down to three top picks:

1) Buffalo WHR-G54S: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16833162173

2) Linksys WRT54GL: http://www.newegg.com/product/produc...82E16833124190

3) D-Link DGL4300: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16833127158

Overall, I have heard that Buffalo has excellent tech and service support, but their products are well made if only mediocre in performance.

Linksys seems to have issues with tech support and they also seem to no longer stand behind their products as well as they did in the past. Overall, it seems everyone as the WRT54GL because of it's ability to use alternate firmware.

D-Link's router seems to be top-notch for gamers (like most of us) and the DGL4300 seems to be a top pick for user friendliness and great control over LAN, WAN, and other network settings. Also there is a customizable (packet?) filter onboard that lets you set up various settings for various applications and games (and VOIP).

Now I would like to stick with an A/B/G router and not with any of the newer rushed-to-market draft N routers (final versions might require a complete overhaul of current models). Secondly, it would be a plus to have D-Link's control panel at my fingertips. Third, I want something reliable and with good tech support and customer service.

Price-wise, Buffalo is the cheapest at $50 USD. The D-Link comes it at $125, just double of what the Linksys costs.

So, of the three, which one would you guys recommend? Why do you recommend that particular model?

Or if you would like to recommend another router, please post a link and give me some feedback as to why I should consider that router (over the above).
    |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
    TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
    Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
    Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Re: Which Wireless Router Should I Purchase?

personally i use netgear.cheap and works great.

Comment

Love my D-Link 4300. As long as your using another D-Link adapter, which i'm using the DWA-552> Xtreme N Desktop Adapter.
      [TG] Rideau

Comment

So would the D-Link cause problems if I was using another brand-name adapter on my PCs?
        |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
        Former 9th & 13th

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Originally posted by 2 Para View Post
          personally i use netgear.cheap and works great.
          I've had really good luck with my Netgear WGR-614. Back when I got it, it was a great deal as I got the router AND a PCMCIA NIC for $20 after rebates.

Comment

Originally posted by Acreo Aeneas View Post
            D-Link's router seems to be top-notch for gamers
            "For gamers" = $ x 2

I have a $30 D-link setup with some discount 801.11b cards I bought from CompUSA for $2 each. Even at 11b speeds it's so much faster than my DSL that it really doesn't affect my in-game ping adversely.

So would the D-Link cause problems if I was using another brand-name adapter on my PCs?
            I don't see why it should?

I would opt for a far cheaper router, in fact, probably the cheapest with decent reviews. If it doesn't work out, send it back and get a better one. Check the forums at slickdeals.net or fatwallet.com and see if there are any good sales going on.

I did buy a Hawking for the in-laws and had nothing but trouble getting it set up. That's one brand I'll stay away from.

I don't mind spending money where it matters, but I don't think a router for a home LAN is the best place to drop $100+.

Comment

The reason I use that particular adapter is because it future proofs it self for a while. And it is a good idea to go with the same brand for no conficts.
              [TG] Rideau

Comment

My specialty is networking.

"A" is nice fore gamers since the band is run on the 5.8Ghz band. Which has 3x if not less interference then the hogged up 2.4 Band. This would help dropout that can cause massive packet loss at random times.

Wireless N does help packet loss since it uses another antena for the signal thats dropping out.

Wireless B has a full range of 11mbps but half of that is used on overheard(direction information). You'll be capping your internet connection if your using anything faster then 5.5mbps.

Brand wise. I chose cisco, But we all dont have that money. So I trust linksys and never had a problem personaly. I seen a number of issues with larger networks and netgear products conflicting. D-link isn't to shabby, But I dont care for there history of a few bad products.

I am very intrested in the bufflo line. I have never used thier products but I have heard good stories about them.
                The soldier formerly known as, Eroak.

From the TG Primer: 2) Create an environment where there is
                mutual respect for your fellow gamers
                and where all members
                would be working together to advance the enjoyment of their hobby.
                Former TGU Dean, 3rd, 9th, & 56th IHS member.

Comment

Just to touch base, but I mentioned this in another thread.

Dsl Reports is a great site for anything net related. Their forums are an awesome source of info, they have sub forums for the major equipment manufaturers and many isp's.

Good resource when you're ready to buy and want to finalize your research.

http://www.dslreports.com/forums/all

Comment

Yes, if I could afford Cisco, I wouldn't even have to post this. :p

Hmm, so then all 3 would be good choices according to most of you.

E, would the packet prioritizer on the D-Link help latency more than using the WDDTF (or whatever that firmware is) on the Linksys in terms of having a low ping gaming while others on the network are downloading large files?
                    |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                    Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

*Cringes at the spelling and grammar*

I'd go for the cheaper one.

Comment

E, would the packet prioritizer on the D-Link help latency more than using the WDDTF (or whatever that firmware is) on the Linksys in terms of having a low ping gaming while others on the network are downloading large files?
                        Packet prioritizer is nice if you set it up correctly. But, are you downloading music, steaming HD video, and running BF2142 at the same time? I doubt it. Also the packet prioirty doesn't really shine unless your maxing out the bandwith where you would be causing packetloss on the client end. You don't need this.

Linksys has been proven to have the extra edge on pings, But most tests only yeilded a average 2ms over 2000 miles. It all depends. One thing I love about linksys, Techsupport. I have never talked to a compony that has this level of techsupport. I swear I only talk to tier 2 support when I talk to them. D-link, Heh I teach them every time I called. Netgear only gives support for 90 days.
                        The soldier formerly known as, Eroak.

From the TG Primer: 2) Create an environment where there is
                        mutual respect for your fellow gamers
                        and where all members
                        would be working together to advance the enjoyment of their hobby.
                        Former TGU Dean, 3rd, 9th, & 56th IHS member.

Comment

I have the same Linksys router. Got it at best buy for 20 bucks off. Anyway, i have not had a problem and i use the regular firmware, and have not had any problems. The tech is also good. When i first bought it, i couldnt get my computer (wired) to access the internet. I called and got an Indian sounding woman on the other end, and im like "oh, great."

Anyway, she starts to have me manually install stuff, and a few minutes in, she asks if i had installed an Ethernet card. I had forgotten to buy it. She got te answer in only 5 minutes or so of talking. Not bad.

And with the ping, i dont know if the router is the important part of it, but i ping 17-23 to the Texas TG server, and sometimes as little as 60 to Euro servers. From NJ, and with Verizon DSL, nothing special
                          "Give a man a match and he'll be warm for a minute. Light the man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life"

Comment

Anyway, she starts to have me manually install stuff, and a few minutes in, she asks if i had installed an Ethernet card. I had forgotten to buy it. She got te answer in only 5 minutes or so of talking. Not bad.
                            :icon_lol:

That's the networking equivalent of "is it turned on?". ;)
                            Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Originally posted by Eroak
                              Packet prioritizer is nice if you set it up correctly. But, are you downloading music, steaming HD video, and running BF2142 at the same time? I doubt it. Also the packet prioirty doesn't really shine unless your maxing out the bandwith where you would be causing packetloss on the client end. You don't need this.
                              I had asked originally, because I have 4 comps on the network now. I myself don't download much at all. My brother and sister stream large vid files almost constantly and download torrents almost every day. Once I add my dad's system on, he'll be streaming large vid files as well.

Originally posted by Eroak
                              Linksys has been proven to have the extra edge on pings, But most tests only yeilded a average 2ms over 2000 miles. It all depends. One thing I love about linksys, Techsupport. I have never talked to a compony that has this level of techsupport. I swear I only talk to tier 2 support when I talk to them. D-link, Heh I teach them every time I called. Netgear only gives support for 90 days.
                              Hmm, that's interesting. So Linksys has very knowledgable tech support and D-Link has script readers? Now I'm stuck between the D-Link and the Linksys one.
                              |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                              Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X