Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DVD Drive in Eternal Load

Howdie!

I'm having a problem where my DVD drive is stuck with the reading light on when I switch disks. It seems to happen only when I switch to a DVD (usually 2142, but other disks as well), though I just don't remember it ever happening with a normal CD. When I close the drive, the read light turns on, the disk spins, but that's all it does. It just keeps spinning and the light keeps blinking. I can't open the drive, eject the disk, or try to run anything from the disk. The only way I've found to fix it is to hard restart my computer, as soft restarting it just freezes my computer (with the darn read light still on!).

Also (don't know if it's related), but on start-up and at the end of disk reads, I can hear my DVD drive grind to a halt as the disk stops spinning. I don't think that's a good sign, but I'm hoping for the best?

It's a problem that seems to only have started after the computer case was opened and the video card switched. I just don't remember having this problem before then. I'm hoping nothing is physically broken. Please help me try to fix this problem!!!

|TG-Irr| ThePenguineer ::: |TG-Irr| Pengie the Noob
    TG-Irregulars Commanding Officer
    ||

Re: DVD Drive in Eternal Load

i would probably say its broken, 30 dollars and a trip to the electronics store might be the solution

Comment

Originally posted by ThePenguineer View Post
      It's a problem that seems to only have started after the computer case was opened and the video card switched. I just don't remember having this problem before then.
      Check the wires inside the computer and make sure they're firmly seated and not rubbing up against anything. I've got a penny on that one of the cables got bumped a bit.

Comment

Probably won't solve your problem, but a very handy bit of information: if a disk is ever in your drive and for some reason the damn thing won't open, get a paper clip and unwind it. See that little tiny hole on the faceplate of the drive thats probably near the button? Insert the paper clip into that and press inwards and the drive will eject.

Comment

Originally posted by Anospa View Post
          Probably won't solve your problem, but a very handy bit of information: if a disk is ever in your drive and for some reason the damn thing won't open, get a paper clip and unwind it. See that little tiny hole on the faceplate of the drive thats probably near the button? Insert the paper clip into that and press inwards and the drive will eject.
          I actually tried that, but no dice. Made a scary gear grinding sound, though :(

||

Comment

Originally posted by stickyjeans69 View Post
            i would probably say its broken, 30 dollars and a trip to the electronics store might be the solution
            Would it make a difference if I said it works fine after I restart and get it to stop loading? Weird thing is that sometimes it works fine, and sometimes it gets stuck.

||

Comment

it sounds like the drive might be dying if it is plugged in correctly. and nothing should happen when you stick the paper clip in. Id bite the bullet and buy a new drive.
              "Give a man a match and he'll be warm for a minute. Light the man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life"

Comment

Yeah, drives are real cheap nowadays, or just grab one from an old PC if you have any lying around.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                X