Format HD

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Format HD

I was going to format my hard drive. Is there much point in doing a low level format over a regular format?

If you think a low level format is a good idea what (free) software would you recommend I use?

Re: Format HD

unless you are having sector problems or even a boot sector virus i wouldnt even bother with a low level. You can mess things up pretty quick doing a low level one. Normal slow NTFS format will do just fine.
    that sounds like a good idea trooper.
    -Vulcan

Comment

Are you just reinstalling your OS? If so you can just delete the partitions and create new ones, it only takes a few seconds. Filling the hard drive with zeros is unnecessary.
      |TG| Lorian
      Member since 18th February 2006

Comment

I like to zero full because it ensures if anything silly happens I've eliminated that potential of not-zeroing having had something to do with something. Anything beyond zeroing is overkill, unless you're disposing of the drive or giving it away. In that case, go nuts all over the platters because otherwise ninjas will steal your identities.

Ultimate Boot CD (Version 3.x seemed to be more playful than 4, but whatever you can find) comes with a load of utilities for everything, including disk wipers. I never use it for partitioning, though. I've found that Windows only likes partitions it has formatted, and if you're dual booting, Linux will take care of the rest.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
        X