Fast Thread:9 Terabytes

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fast Thread:9 Terabytes

Now, I have just lol'd...HARD. Some people like space...
    Ummm, Discuss? Any of you runnin this? Also, is it possible to recognize and USE such space?

Re: Fast Thread:9 Terabytes

ive got 2 TB in my file server and i actually just ran out of room tonight :-(

Windows XP had theoretical storage limits in excess of 16 exabytes, so theoretically it should work. All just depends on your motherboard support/controller cards.

Comment

The funny thing is, that could be done with 9 drives now :icon_eek: I've got a 2 TB at home for media storage and MythTV and it is about 60% full. It would take me a looong time to fill up 9.

Comment

Thats a lot of pr0n.
        Oyee

Comment

LOL @ wooden case.

Comment

IT'S OVER NINE THOUSAND THOUSAND THOUSAND THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAND!

gb2/mordor

Comment

That number is a bit hard to grasp. For us regular citizens you need to put it in terms of a simple comparison. How many copies of the Library of Congress could that hold?
              Peace through fear... since 1947!

Comment

Originally posted by MagnaCentipede View Post
                IT'S OVER NINE THOUSAND THOUSAND THOUSAND THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAND!

gb2/mordor
                Classic!
                "The electric Yellow's got me by the brain banana!"

Comment

It looks like he has at least 36 hard drives in there which if my math is correct they must all be 250 gigs a piece.

Comment

I bet that warms the house really well.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by icky View Post
                      That number is a bit hard to grasp. For us regular citizens you need to put it in terms of a simple comparison. How many copies of the Library of Congress could that hold?
                      I had to look it up :)

Quoted from this page

«With 6 petabytes (6,000 terabytes) of storage capacity, the San Diego Supercomputer Center has plenty of room to store the 8 terabytes of American Memory's digital data, plus additional records as the collection evolves over decades, or even centuries. »

Holy flux reversal Batman!

DB

«That looks like a really nice house except for that horrible bathroom.» Donrhos

| |

Comment

Originally posted by icky View Post
                        From http://www.jamesshuggins.com/h/tek1/how_big.htm :
                        "10 Terabytes: Printed collection of the U. S. Library of Congress"

So not even one copy of the LoC.

Of fun note:
                        Exabyte
                        1,152,921,504,606,846,976 bytes or 2^60
                        approx. 1,000,000,000,000,000,000 or 10^18

* 5 Exabytes: All words ever spoken by human beings.
                        [volun2]
                        NS Game Officer. TF2 Admin. BF2 Admin / Scripter. PM with issues.
                        Tempus: Pokerface is nailing it right on the head. Everyone who is arguing against him is simply arguing against reality.
                        <anmuzi> it is not permitted to have privacy or anonymity
                        <LazyEye> yeah when I play on TG the server digs though my trash

Arm yourself with knowledge: TG NS TF2 BF2

Comment

Originally posted by Pokerface View Post

* 5 Exabytes: All words ever spoken by human beings.
                          in .mp3 or .wav?

Comment

It'd need to be 44100Hz-1ch floating point WAV. MP3 is lossy, and it's piracy.

"For us regular citizens you need to put it in terms of a simple comparison."

Let's say you're playing Counterstrike at 1024x768, and you want to record it without any compression loss so you can show your grandchildren how much you pwned back in the medieval period. Including CD quality sound, you consume:

1024 wide × 768 tall × 3 bytes per pixel × 60 fps recording + 44100 samples × 2 channels × 2 bytes per sample = 141,734,160 bytes per second.
                            Against nine trillion bytes, that's 63,499 seconds of storage space, which is 17 hours and 38 minutes.

So, that box contains enough disk space to archive the counterstrike exploits of the TG primary server's crew during peak bidness for a bit over an hour.

Comment

its actually more than that because 9 TB != 9 000 000 000 bytes

Its 1024 x 1024 x 1024 x 1024 x 1024 or something similar to that. I cant think ATM
                              "Give a man a match and he'll be warm for a minute. Light the man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life"

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X