Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sony "Reader" (E-ink ebook reader) Anyone have one?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sony "Reader" (E-ink ebook reader) Anyone have one?

These are really starting to pop up in all the retail stores:
    http://products.sel.sony.com/pa/prs/index.html

They go for anywhere from $300-$350 it seems. I'm seriously considering buying one and was just wondering if anyone had one they could comment on.

I'd REALLY like this though:
    https://www.irexshop.com/product_inf...0bf6be5ad65f8b

But... at $700 there's no way I'm gettin it.

There's also a really cool website that supports this new EReader "revolution" we seem to be going through these days:
    http://www.mobileread.com/

Lotta info. there for those of us that are curious.

For me, I've been following "e-ink" ever since it started being developed at MIT years ago and have been patiently waiting for the right product. The Sony seems close, the Iliad closer (but too expensive). Man, how us dorks would LOVE to have the ol' Star Trek PADD. The Iliad seems the closest with its big touchscreen.... but only 12hr battery life (stock, if ur lucky) makes it a bit counterintuitive.

Then again, there's the new ASUS Eee:
    http://event.asus.com/eeepc/
    Which will be cheaper then both of em at around $200. (sigh)
    My head is going to explode...

Re: Sony "Reader" (E-ink ebook reader) Anyone have one?

I absolutely love to read but I think I would prefer to have a paperback in my hands. Plus I love going to the used book stores and looking for the diamonds amongst all of the coal.

I do have to admit that it would be way cool to be able to carry multiple books on one device. It would also free up many square feet of space in my house.
    Retired 6th DB

Comment

Originally posted by Wimpinator View Post
      I absolutely love to read but I think I would prefer to have a paperback in my hands. Plus I love going to the used book stores and looking for the diamonds amongst all of the coal.

I do have to admit that it would be way cool to be able to carry multiple books on one device. It would also free up many square feet of space in my house.
      My problem is I read a LOT of reference/non-fiction material, so I have a helluva time deciding what to take with me on trips. Having ONE reader to hold all my stuff is a powerful thing. Imagine being able to study Calculus, read Harry Potter, and then switch to C# Programming in one plane ride w/o even having a carry-on bag.

Comment

E-ink may change my mind on this. My wife tried reading a book on her Palm Pilot and she couldn't do it. I couldn't handle it either, it was just too hard on the eyes.

When this comes down in price, I'll probably get one.
        Become a supporting member!
        Buy a Tactical Duck!
        Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
        TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

I first read about the E-Ink thing in Popular Science magazine. It sounded really cool and the extreme battery life was of course a plus (something like the entire Harry Potter series 6-7 times through) So i was fortunate enough to try on. It was nice, i liekd the size a lot and it looked nice. Overall, id definately buy it off ebay or if a rebate is possible. 300 $, not worth it really, but 250 (pref. less) or so and i might get it.
          "Give a man a match and he'll be warm for a minute. Light the man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life"

Comment

This seems really good but it's at least the cost of a PDA to get a larger screen dedicated to reading. It would be nice if they could add in PDA like software. Having a PDA with a screen that large would be really good.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

I am considering getting an E-Reader in the future since I tend to carry several paperback novels with me at a time. Plus, if I wanted to reread some of my other novels I can without having to lug them along with me.

Of course the complete downside is that e-novels cost just as much as a normal paperback if not more. Plus, at some $300, the Sony E-Reader is pretty pricey. Although for the feature set and battery life, it is better than most of the last generation monochrome readers.
              |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
              TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
              Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
              Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
              X