NAS question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NAS question

Can I use an older PC for a NAS system on our lan? they are P III vintage, I had an 500, 933 and duron 700 given to me. they work fine. I hate to toss out a working machine I could find a use for.

thanks
    {Once again, Fetterman wins "Grumpiest Pirate of the Week" award.} "Axis of Eeevil"

Proud Member of "TG-IRR" Since 14 Sept 2007.

Never give up, never give in. Fight until you die, or until you win. Failure does not come from a lack of knowledge or skill... It comes from a lack of will.

"Bittersweet Symphony"

Re: NAS question

Yes, you can. You will need to share your old computer's partition(s) with the rest of the network. Also depending on how much room you need for the NAS server, you might want to put in a bigger hard drive (or add another hard drive).
    |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
    TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
    Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
    Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Originally posted by sgt fetterman View Post
      Can I use an older PC for a NAS system on our lan? they are P III vintage, I had an 500, 933 and duron 700 given to me. they work fine. I hate to toss out a working machine I could find a use for.

thanks
      Absolutely. You might want to look into FreeNAS (http://www.freenas.org).

It would work great on some of those older PC's and is quite feature rich. It will allow for sharing via iSCSI, CIFS, NFS and more. I use FreeNAS at home for all my media files (audio, video, digital photography) with an iSCSI mount on my desktop and uPNP shares for my Xbox 360 and PS3 so I can view the media on those devices as well.
      Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

Comment

I have an old(er) machine set up as a file/print server at home.

The only thing I hate is that the network access to the files isn't fast enough as a source to burn DVD's. You need to do a temp copy of the files before the burn. Gig-E might solve that, but I just stuck a burner in the server.
        Peace through fear... since 1947!

Comment

cool. thanks alot fellows. I have a couple 100 gigers collecting dust and I'll use them on the 933.
          freenas, cool. I'll read more about it after super, thanks apophis
          {Once again, Fetterman wins "Grumpiest Pirate of the Week" award.} "Axis of Eeevil"

Proud Member of "TG-IRR" Since 14 Sept 2007.

Never give up, never give in. Fight until you die, or until you win. Failure does not come from a lack of knowledge or skill... It comes from a lack of will.

"Bittersweet Symphony"

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
          X