PC Upgrade

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PC Upgrade

Ok, so after a good 2 years of solid gaming, my rig has finally because obsolete. I'm running an Athlon64 3000+, with 1GB DDR400 RAM, and an XFX GeForce 6600 AGP. Now, this is an AGP board, and I think I can still squeeze by for another year or so without completely ripping the guts out and going PCI-E.

I'm considering an XFX GF 7600 512MB. I've had good luck with XFX and I think this would be a good idea. Anyone had any experience with these cards?

For some background: I can still pull 60 FPS in mods like Insurgency. but, when the map gets crazy, that FPS can cause some major "stuttering." I think my basic rig is ok, but the video card is just falling behind. The only other thing I can think of is too maybe throw another GIG of RAM in, but I really don't think that's necessary.

Let me know what you guys think.

Re: PC Upgrade

From experience running my 7600GS for almost a year in multiple games, I can tell you that it fails to handle BF2 or BF2142 at higher resolutions adaquately. I would recommend getting at least the 7600GT or if you can afford it, the 7800GS or 7900GS (currently made by XFX only). The 7600GS performs well on other older games and very well in less demanding applications.
    |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
    TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
    Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
    Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

I've noticed a 7600GT for around $170 and a BFG 7800 for around $220.

Is the performance boost worth the extra cash?

Notice: I use directron even though they have a bit more pricey hardware because they are local and their customer service is top-notch. I'll pay extra for that.

Comment

I would say yes, go for the GeForce 7800 and a GTX if you can afforad it. But remember it won't be long before we have to upgrade to a DX10 card.
        The Old Guy
        kin3
        sigpic

Comment

Yes, it is worth every extra penny for the 7800GS. You get 16 pipelines and 256-bit memory and GDDR3, which is a huge performance boost over the 76xx line.

Although, if you buy that same card from NewEgg, you could save yourself around $70: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814130274
          |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
          Former 9th & 13th

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Have you considered eBay? While my 7800GT performs great in BF2/2142, I've been considering adding a second card for SLI and have seen them for ~$75 on eBay. Much cheaper than new...if you can even find that model any longer. If you have a bit more cash you may consider the 7950GT.
            |TG|Melee
            Clear Eyes, Full Hearts, Can't Lose!

Comment

AGP is an old technology now and believe it or not, the cards are more expensive than PCI-E. I have almost the same set up, an AMD Athlon 3000+, 1.5Gb of 333DDR RAM, but an ATI All-In-Wonder X800XT 256Mb card. Last time I had checked ATI had the X1650Pro 512Mb for around $184, a HIS X1950Pro 512Mb for about $240, also another HIS X1950Pro 512Mb for about $180 which Newegg.com has a rebate that makes it $144.99 after the rebate(that would be the one I would go with if it were me and was able to afford it).
              Now after having this ATI card I would say stay away from ATI, I HATE their drivers for MY card. But after RMA'ing my card (3)three times their tech support finally told me their drivers had issues with this particular card and the North Bridge chipset of my MB. Lame excuse IMO. Talking to a lot of other ATI owners they claim to have no issues with their cards at all, of course they aren't running the type of card I have.
              New computer I plan on building WILL definitely have Nvidia in it, lol. For the time being though, maybe the ATI might be something to consider cause some buddies claim Nvidia cards are more less out of the running in the AGP area now, most of the Nvidia are running about $30 cheaper than ATI but not close to the same class.
              Ebay is also an idea to find something cheaper. But I usually steer away from Ebay especially if it has already been used.

Comment

As old as AGP is, it is still viable for those of us who can't afford switching our boards over to PCI-E, which usually entails a need for a new CPU and memory as well.

nVidia of late, has been known to have better driver stability than ATI.

Fenix,
                Have you decided which card you will purchase?
                |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Originally posted by Acreo Aeneas View Post
                  nVidia of late, has been known to have better driver stability than ATI.
                  Of late? ATI has suffered from horrible drivers for the last 7 years.
                  Become a supporting member!
                  Buy a Tactical Duck!
                  Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
                  TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

*blushes* 7 years seems like it was just a few years ago. I still have some old old ATI cards in use.
                    |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                    Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

If a person budget shops, they could get all the required stuff for almost the same price as a expensive AGP card though. I;ll admit, it would not be a great PC, but would still be an ok one with PCI-E.

With my particular card, for some reason every 2-3 weeks I need to reinstall drivers. When playing PR stuff will start looking like a chess board, little white and black squares all over different objects. That is why their tech supprt states it is the NB chipset and the video card not transferring data correctly. BTW, it is a Via chipset. I thought Via was pretty popular and you'd think that ATI would have the kinks worked out with a popular chipset?!?! Probably they just don't know what the hell the problem is and there is no real issue to begin with.

Comment

Originally posted by Acreo Aeneas View Post
                        Fenix,
                        Have you decided which card you will purchase?
                        Yea, I went ahead and bit the bullet and grabbed the 7800GS off that newegg link Acreo sent me. I like directron, but considering the price difference and the fact that this is just a retail video card (not a whole system), I wasn't too worried about tech support.

Thanks for the help guys. I hope this card see me on the insurgency server more often.

Comment

I bought a 7800GS earlier this year. I think you'll be quite happy with the performance. I was in the same situation of not being able to make the jump to PCI-E and the 7800GS has filled the gap quite nicely.

Comment

I couldn't get my waterblock on the card without leaving the RAM exposed, so I rigged the sucker on the back of the heatsink. Not that effective, but at least it's something. Insurgency seems to be running much better.

Comment

The 7800GS will more than get you on INS Fenix. I'm still running my 7600GS and INS and everything looks superb.

I'm looking at purchasing the 7900GS later in the year if I can afford it.
                              |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                              Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X