No announcement yet.

as luck would have it... PhysX card...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• as luck would have it... PhysX card...

Bought the card for just over 100 bucks over a month ago... sat in my closet till today... with GRAW2 coming out in days I wanted to get it installed and running... NO LUCK...

I have no more damn power supply connections, and the system is already daisy chained and split to max... with all the other goodies I have in there...

I guess the only way to fix this is for a new motherboard with more juice connections, right?

Which I won't do, getting a new system at years end... but no other way around it, correct?

Thx for any info.
    Magnum |TG-18th|

We stand between chaos and order, evil and good, despair and hope - we are the Thin Blue Line, and we will never be broken.

Re: as luck would have it... PhysX card...

You mean a new power supply?
    Become a supporting member!
    Buy a Tactical Duck!
    Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
    TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Originally posted by Magnum50 View Post
      Bought the card for just over 100 bucks over a month ago... sat in my closet till today... with GRAW2 coming out in days I wanted to get it installed and running... NO LUCK...

I have no more damn power supply connections, and the system is already daisy chained and split to max... with all the other goodies I have in there...

I guess the only way to fix this is for a new motherboard with more juice connections, right?

Which I won't do, getting a new system at years end... but no other way around it, correct?

Thx for any info.
      You would just need a new power supply. Alternatively, you could just go get another splitter to get some juice over to the Physx card.
      Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

Comment

doesn't the power supply really just have one main power connection, then then all the connections go to that?

The reason I ask... I have a Dell XPS Gen 4... but all the power supply stuff, and wires is underneath a steel plate separating the rest of the PC...

and the card comes with a splitter wire, but it looks old school, the new power supplies have thinner, smaller, slot connections... not male/female pins.
        Magnum |TG-18th|

We stand between chaos and order, evil and good, despair and hope - we are the Thin Blue Line, and we will never be broken.

Comment

Are you maybe looking at the slot connectors for SATA? because they still use male female plugs on other things.

Comment

Yeah, you might be looking at the SATA connectors.

Can you take a pic of it and post it?
            Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

Comment

Power supplies have rails that supply power - at least that's my understanding. You don't want to overload one of the rails.
              You can get a device that goes into the wall socket and you plug your PC into that. Then it tells you the watts used. But this only gives you the total, not the wattage per rail. So if you have a 500W PSU and it's at 450W I would get a new one. For my machine I have a 500W PSU and it's at ~300W-350W. Just send the Physics card and the game to me and I will test it out for a couple weeks. ;-)

Comment

The PhysX card uses a 4 pin molex connector. It's the same one that connects to CD/DVD drives and older harddrives (not the new SATA connector). Your PSU should have some that you can split a connection. The only worry is if your PSU doesn't have enough power to supply all the connected devices.

It would very odd if your PSU didn't have these connectors. It's been an ATX standard for years and is still used. You can definitely split from one of your optical drives if the cable can reach. Otherwise, there should be another cable hidden in your case that you can use. Your PSU probably has two or three of these connections coming out of it.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

You can split off the PSU but consider...what wattage PSU you are running? Do you have enough juice to run the physX card with all the other stuff you have? If not consider buying a new PSU. Only make sure you get one that is well above all the wattage that you need. I always try to be at least 100W over what I need just to be on the safe side but now it seems like 100W isn't really enough anymore if you consider on doing some other upgrades later down the road, maybe 200W-250W?

I had bought an Ultra X2 550W dual rail PSU last year and thinking of getting a bigger one soon. Planning on doing a complete new build and sure the 550W isn't going to cut it. Have to wait to find out how much all the new is going to require first. You can usually check around on the internet for each component you are running to find out the MAX wattage it may require to operate smoothly. Don't forget to add MB, processor, cd/dvd drives, fans, hard drives, video card(s), and any other device you have connected to the power supply.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                  X