Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Noise canceling headphone reviews/recommendations?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Noise canceling headphone reviews/recommendations?

OK, so now that I'm flying more than I ever have in my life, I'm realizing that perhaps those noise canceling headphones might be worth the money. I also go to try out the Bose Quiet Comfort headphones yesterday and they were nice. I was impressed with the noise cancellation, but the speakers were, well, crappy.

So, I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations or knew of any good reviews.

I'm looking at Logitech's set for $150. I know Logitech uses Cambridge Soundworks speakers, so they might be decent, and the price is certainly right. I like the fact that I can take the cord completely off of the headphones and just leave them on for a nap.

Reviews I've found useful (I've skipped over reviews from non-audiophile reviewers, as sound is important to me. Some of the reviews from travel sites scared me with their ignorance.):

http://www.headphonereviews.org/index.php

http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-3000_7-1017728-1.html

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/06/14/te...rssnyt&emc=rss

So far, I'm leaning towards these phones: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=234882
    Become a supporting member!
    Buy a Tactical Duck!
    Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
    TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Re: Noise canceling headphone reviews/recommendations?

Wow, very good read and some excellent information. You might have just persuaded me to look at AT's as a competitor to the Bose pair of on-ear phones I've been looking at.

Excellente, senor! :D
    |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
    TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
    Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
    Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Originally posted by Acreo Aeneas View Post
      Wow, very good read and some excellent information. You might have just persuaded me to look at AT's as a competitor to the Bose pair of on-ear phones I've been looking at.

Excellente, senor! :D
      It looks like the Logitech headphones might be the same thing, just rebranded.
      Buy a Tactical Duck!
      Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."

Comment

Originally posted by CingularDuality View Post
        OK, so now that I'm flying more than I ever have in my life, I'm realizing that perhaps those noise canceling headphones might be worth the money. I also go to try out the Bose Quiet Comfort headphones yesterday and they were nice. I was impressed with the noise cancellation, but the speakers were, well, crappy.
        Did you try the QuiteComfort 2 or 3? I have the 2's and love them. I tried the 3s once in the store and hated them. They didn't sound as good, weren't as comfortable and didn't cancel noise as well.

I fly a lot too and couldn't live without these things.
        Twisted Firestarter
        a.k.a |TG| Harkonian
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Twisted_Firestarter View Post
          Did you try the QuiteComfort 2 or 3? I have the 2's and love them. I tried the 3s once in the store and hated them. They didn't sound as good, weren't as comfortable and didn't cancel noise as well.

I fly a lot too and couldn't live without these things.
          I tried my coworker's QC2s while on the plane, and then tried the 3's while in Heathrow Airport. The 3's definitely were not as comfortable, and didn't seem to sound as good, nor cancel sound as well, but I was in a much different environment, so I wasn't sure how much that had to do with it... If I went with Bose, I'd definitely go with the QC2s.

I'm hesitant to buy Bose, though, just on principal. They make such overpriced crap most of the time.
          Buy a Tactical Duck!

Comment

One alternative to keep in mind is in-ear earbuds. I have some Shure E-3c's and love them. They're great on planes or in noisy environments, are very high quality and you can use them in more situations than the noise cancelling headphones.
            Beatnik

Comment

Originally posted by Beatnik View Post
              One alternative to keep in mind is in-ear earbuds. I have some Shure E-3c's and love them. They're great on planes or in noisy environments, are very high quality and you can use them in more situations than the noise cancelling headphones.
              Yeah, I already have some cheap Sony's that sound great (for the money), but I just don't like the way they feel. I definitely want some that go over the ear.
              Buy a Tactical Duck!

Comment

In-ear buds that use passive (silicon buds) to block out unwanted noise can become uncomfortable over long periods on a plane or bus. I'd never thought I'd actually regret paying $100 for a pair of water-resistant in-ear buds with passive noise-cancellation.

Here's a question for those of you owning the QC3s, how do they compare to the Bose On-Ear Headphones (the non-noise cancelling one which looks almost identical to the QC3)?
                |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
                Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
                Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

I'm wondering why nobody has taken the Ear Defenders we use on the flightline and turned them into a headset. Not only are they extremely comfortable, but if you can stand underneath two running F-15 engines with them on and hear it at an entirely comfortable level, then they're definitely doing something right.

Actually, if you wanted to do a little soldering work, you could easily turn our in-cockpit headsets into a compatible headset. It'd be awkward to wear since the mouthpiece is noiseproof and straps to your face, but you'd be able to play a game in the middle of a... well... an airfield and have no problems at all :)

Comment

Originally posted by Uranium - 235 View Post
                    I'm wondering why nobody has taken the Ear Defenders we use on the flightline and turned them into a headset. Not only are they extremely comfortable, but if you can stand underneath two running F-15 engines with them on and hear it at an entirely comfortable level, then they're definitely doing something right.
                    Can we have a link to these magical muffs?

Comment

http://www.elvex.com/prod021.htm

:p

The only problem is they can get really warm and make you sweaty, since they're nearly airtight.

Comment

Originally posted by Uranium - 235 View Post
                        I did exactly that with a pair of Peltors back when I was in high school. They're not very comfortable to wear, though, and you look really silly. I used some really cheap earbuds back then. I bet they'd sound a LOT better with some of these new headphone speakers!
                        Buy a Tactical Duck!

Comment

I would say right now the QC3 is the best, but it comes with that Bo$e price though

Comment

Originally posted by VegaBond View Post
                            I would say right now the QC3 is the best, but it comes with that Bo$e price though
                            Why do you say they're the best? I didn't think they sounded nearly as good as the QC2's that I tried.
                            Buy a Tactical Duck!

Comment

I'm having trouble getting it to work, but the Bluetooth Jawbone is supposed to be really good. You can play the game through your speakers and configure TeamSpeak to use the Jawbone.

I had it working once but I wanted to see if I could get the unit to also work with my new cellphone, and now I think have the config all confused. The PC sees the Jawbone but loopback testing in TS reveals that no sound is going through.

I'm using the Kensington USB Bluetooth dongle for the host connection. It says it has a good connection to the Jawbone.
                              Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X