FreeNas users?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FreeNas users?

Hi folks.. Any FreeNAS users out there? I am unable to remotely log into my FreeNAS server using the WebControl panel created user/groups etc (CIFS). I can get in with the Admin account.. but non of the others. Here is the LOG error I get:
    lighttpd[862]: (http_auth.c.854) get_password failed

I also have the same type issue with FreeNas FTP.. I can get in anaonymously..but as soon as I try to use a login/password it all goes sound and no connection.

Any Ideas? Is therer something on the Terminal/Console end I should have done to configure the accounts?

Thanks!
    :row__632:
    |TG|ARMA Pathfinder
    ..now where did I put my keys?

Re: FreeNas users?

Originally posted by peardog View Post
    Hi folks.. Any FreeNAS users out there? I am unable to remotely log into my FreeNAS server using the WebControl panel created user/groups etc (CIFS). I can get in with the Admin account.. but non of the others. Here is the LOG error I get:
    lighttpd[862]: (http_auth.c.854) get_password failed

I also have the same type issue with FreeNas FTP.. I can get in anaonymously..but as soon as I try to use a login/password it all goes sound and no connection.

Any Ideas? Is therer something on the Terminal/Console end I should have done to configure the accounts?

Thanks!
    :row__632:
    What version of FreeNAS are you running? Have you configured any of the external authentication sources (such as LDAP) that could be getting in the way of the local authentication?

There shouldn't be anything you need to do to configure those accounts other than what is available in the web control panel.
    Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

Comment

Thanks Apophis... No external Ldap or AD... Fixed IP.. It's the most current verson (full ISO download from thier site..)... Downloaded yesterday.. .685b
      Locally ,on the same workgroup, I can access the Share with no issues.. (save and read files etc..)
      Rob
      |TG|ARMA Pathfinder

Comment

I'll take a look tonight when I get home and see what's set up on mine. I'll be able to give you a more intelligent response than trying to do it from memory.

Comment

Apo,
          I think I have an Idea what is wrong.. .I have no idea what I am doing!! ;-)
          I was trying to access the share via a web browser..but I cannot do that because of the Webgui.. Right? (A (Plus other reasons probably).. So for a Remote share, I tried using a UNC ( \\111.11.111.33\STORAGE ) in the RUN Command but Windows doesn't see that share ...
          So generally am I way off base or syntax or what?
          But Basically I want to be able to have users hit my SHARE with Account control over the internet.

Thanks
          |TG|ARMA Pathfinder

Comment

Apo,
            I think I have an Idea what is wrong.. .I have no idea what I am doing!! ;-)
            I was trying to access the share via a web browser..but I cannot do that because of the Webgui.. Right? (A (Plus other reasons probably).. So for a Remote share, I tried using a UNC ( \\111.11.111.33\STORAGE ) in the RUN Command but Windows doesn't see that share ...
            So generally am I way off base or syntax or what?
            But Basically I want to be able to have users hit my SHARE with Account control over the internet.

Thanks
            Well, that should actually work. Provided that 111.11.111.33 is the actual IP for your FreeNAS box. I'm assuming you set up "storage" as a CIFS share under Services?

Comment

Thanks Apophis... No external Ldap or AD... Fixed IP.. It's the most current verson (full ISO download from thier site..)... Downloaded yesterday.. .685b
              Locally ,on the same workgroup, I can access the Share with no issues.. (save and read files etc..)
              Rob
              I can't reproduce that problem at all. My users/groups all work fine. New users can FTP in without any issues as well as hit the web interface. I'm wondering if something might have gotten corrupted with your install?

Comment

Originally posted by Apophis View Post
                I'm assuming you set up "storage" as a CIFS share under Services?
                I thought that was it... Storage is the name of my Mount Point and SHARE name.. but It wasn't listed in the Shares Tab (Just - Documents, Utilities , which are two different Folders in the MAIN share (Named Storage). SO I tried to UNC to both with negative results..
                I added Storage as a share under storage..but no go also.

On a positive note... I am able to FTP in.. but only on ADMIN account.. others basically want a HOME folder specified .. not sure where that setting is...

heh..I'm still working on it tho..!
                thanks for your help..
                |TG|ARMA Pathfinder

Comment

I thought that was it... Storage is the name of my Mount Point and SHARE name.. but It wasn't listed in the Shares Tab (Just - Documents, Utilities , which are two different Folders in the MAIN share (Named Storage). SO I tried to UNC to both with negative results..
                  I added Storage as a share under storage..but no go also.

On a positive note... I am able to FTP in.. but only on ADMIN account.. others basically want a HOME folder specified .. not sure where that setting is...

heh..I'm still working on it tho..!
                  thanks for your help..
                  When you created your mount points, what did you use for partition type and filesystem? I would highly recommend EFI GPT for the partition type if you're mounting physical drives and UFS for the filesystem.

As for home folders. I don't believe that you can set a home directory for a user account. When a user FTPs in, they will just see the root of the shared filesystem and won't actually have their own /home/user directory. I'm not sure if that's something you could manually edit, but I don't think its supported by default.

Comment

I don't know about freenas, but I use and endorse http://www.openfiler.com/

It's really complete, and stable.
                    Do or do not, there is no try....
                    -- Yoda, Dagobah

Comment

Originally posted by gunjunkie View Post

I looked at OpenFiler but it didn't appear to have UPNP capabilities. I use the UPNP functionality of FreeNAS with my Xbox 360 and PS3 quite extensively.

Comment

Peardog,

I had an older version of FreeNAS installed. I just did a remote upgrade to the firmware to the newer version so now I can re-attempt the user controls and see if I get any errors.

Comment

Nice..thanks..I hope the new version doesn't break your Box.. I have read some of the complaints on some bugs where folks had to back track...
                          |TG|ARMA Pathfinder

Comment

Originally posted by gunjunkie View Post

Oh Sure..I gotta go and download and try this too..!! I am getting the ISO as we speak..
                            I am sure any issues with FreeNAS on my end are my fault or my setups.. It install lied a dream.. I am just a newbie when it comes to NAS...

Thanks for the tip Gun...
                            |TG|ARMA Pathfinder

Comment

Originally posted by Apophis View Post
                              When you created your mount points, what did you use for partition type and filesystem? I would highly recommend EFI GPT for the partition type if you're mounting physical drives and UFS for the filesystem.

As for home folders. I don't believe that you can set a home directory for a user account. When a user FTPs in, they will just see the root of the shared file system and won't actually have their own /home/user directory. I'm not sure if that's something you could manually edit, but I don't think its supported by default.

Yep.. I tried the old NTFS and it errored out..tried the Fat 32..but no luck either..so I went with what the Documentation stated and it was the UFS and the EFI GPT (which I have never heard of..being allergic to UNIX..) ;-)

It seems with the FTP account it allows me to log in as a standard user, but seeing there is no HOME FOLDER it kicks me out. I may have to add users manually to the distro/HD install to allow this type of access??

Sneakernet here I come...
                              |TG|ARMA Pathfinder

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse