Advice on upgrades

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice on upgrades

Hey guys, currently got an Athlon 64X2 2.42Ghz with 2GB and just bought a Nvidia 8800 GTSOC2 320 MB card. Do I need to start looking at a GPU upgrade as well now to prevent bottlenecking. Sorry if it's a dumb question but I'm relatively new to all this so any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Re: Advice on upgrades

I'm not sure if I'm reading something wrong, but if you just bought a GeForce 8800GTS (which is one of the best cards at the moment) and 2 gig of RAM + an AMD X2 2.42Ghz there is no need at all to upgrade. The system you have now will perform great on every game on the market right now.
    So actually I don't see the problem, neither do I see any bottlenecking?

Comment

Ditto with Concrete.

That's a pretty good system right there. Unless you regret buying the 8800GTS 320MB and want a new GPU. The only reason I would think the 8800GTS 320MB isn't good is if you're playing at resolutions of 1920x1200. You'd want a card with more memory like the GTS 640MB.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

Thanks guys that's reassuring, I currently have an nvidia 7800 gt installed and I get quite a few frame rate problems. Hopefully this should resolve them. Thanks again.

Comment

FPS problems on a 7800GT? That's new. My brother's system has one (bought it for him a year ago) and I haven't heard him complain about any framerate problmes.
          |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
          TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
          Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
          Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Originally posted by Acreo Aeneas View Post
            FPS problems on a 7800GT? That's new. My brother's system has one (bought it for him a year ago) and I haven't heard him complain about any framerate problmes.
            Haven't had a bit of trouble with mine.
            The Old Guy
            kin3
            sigpic

Comment

What are games are you playing?

Comment

If anything your bottleneck will be at the CPU. Depending on your cooling you should seriously consider over clocking it, that CPU is very OC friendly.

Comment

Again thanks guys all the info is helpful. Been playing HL2, BG2 Vanilla (spit), PR, Insurgency lately (which is cool but the maps are quite small and dark), FarCry etc. PC novice so maybe it's how I've got things set up but it gets a bit choppy sometimes. On the plus side since installing the overclocked 8800 GTS I couldn't be happier, great card if anyone thinking of getting one. I will look into oc the CPU next thanks Mosatii. See you out there!

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                  X