Upgrade advice plz :)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upgrade advice plz :)

Ok, I currently have an AMD XP 3000+, 2 gig ram and an ati xt800gto(agp).

It will be a while still till I can upgrade my whole system to get pci-e support, so I am wondering how much of an preformance boost I will get by upgrading my video card to a ati 1950pro.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Mugzy
    When you can't run, you walk. When you can't walk, you crawl and when you can't do that, you get someone to carry you.

Re: Upgrade advice plz :)

First question:Whats your budget? answer this before you shoppe.

I track prices with http://www.pricewatch.com/ (Purchase only from well rated sellers!!)

Take a look at http://www.anandtech.com/ or another page like it for hardware reviews. Anandtech is my favorite as the articles are well written and include lots of graphs. Just search the article database for the cards you looking at.

let us know what your looking at spending.

Sarcoma
    Sarcoma.

Comment

My budget is $250 max.

I may be able to get a new mb/cpu and a cheap pci-e card for that. Or I could get a very good AGP card.
      When you can't run, you walk. When you can't walk, you crawl and when you can't do that, you get someone to carry you.

Comment

www.tomshardware.com

Check the VGA Charts for 2006/2007.

You should get a rough idea of how much of a performance boost you'll get from the x1950 Pro over the x800 Pro you currently use.

And for $250, you have quite a bit of choice imo.
        |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
        TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
        Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
        Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

If you are just wanting to upgrade the video card this would be my choice.
          http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814161082
          Although I have had nothing but bad luck out of my ATI X800XT All in Wonder. Drivers keep needing reinstalled about every 2 weeks. Anyway, maybe that will hold you over till you can afford to do a major upgrade as I plan on doing. I have an Athlon XP 3000+ also with only 1.5Gb of RAM though.

Comment

You really need to upgrade both your CPU and GPU. Otherwise, you're going to wind up with a pretty nasty bottleneck. Another factor to take into consideration is your PSU; a lack of power could cause a plethora of problems (and that card is a hog).

It's hard to say what kind of improvement you would see with just the one upgrade.

Comment

On a related note, since my question is pretty similar:

When I got my new PC (Dual core E6400, 2Gb RAM) I popped a budget-ish video card into it (x1650 Pro) figuring it'd be better to wait til DX10 cards were more common before treating myself to a better one. Now I find myself looking at the ATI x2900 and the 640Mb 8800 GTS and wondering if it's time to upgrade, and whether I'd honestly see much of a performance boost. Any thoughts?
              2142: |TG-Irr| Silverfish
              BF2: |TG-Irr| Maus

Comment

Yes i have the X1650, which came with the computer to start with. For now i dont see a need in upgrading, it plays 2142 fine and all of my memory rich programs like pinnacle.

Comment

Well, I wouldn't get the X2900. It seems to use far too much power for the performance you get. It needs 2 power connectors compared to 1 for the 8800GTS.

I'd also wait for the 2nd gen cards if possible since you don't seem to upgrade often. The first round of cards have barely been benched with X10 compatible games. The few games that have been tested don't run that well either.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

All righty - just the kind of advice I wanted, thanks! +rep
                    2142: |TG-Irr| Silverfish
                    BF2: |TG-Irr| Maus

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement