No announcement yet.

New TV, looking for some help

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New TV, looking for some help

So I got this TV:

Now I have digital cable, but not HD Digital (not worth the money for only having like 8 channels), and this TV is made for HD signals. So, running coax from the cable box to the TV gives me a not that great picture. It's not so bad when you're about 10-12 feet away, but it definitely could be improved.

Basically, I'm looking for a cable/converter/device that will allow me to take the RF/coax from the cable box and turn it into component video to plug into the TV, hoping that that will clear the picture some. I found some device called an RF converter, but that seems to do the opposite, taking in component and outputting RF.

1) Is there a device (outside of a digital HD box/connection) that will take in RF and output component?
    2) Is this even a feasible move, as in, will my picture clear up noticeably should #1 prove achievable?

Basically if I don't clear up the picture, I might as well take the TV back and get a flat tube or CRT TV. My old giant 20 year-old TV with a wooden casing gave me a better picture than what I have now.
    "I am the prettiest african-american, vietnamese..cong..person." -SugarNCamo

Re: New TV, looking for some help

HDTV's look like crap while running in SD mode. It's to do with the TV's resolution, basically stretching the 480 picture to fit.

ie; Take a small resolution video on the computer, and make it full screen. I think
    they have something called a scan converter or something? I don't quite remember, maybe someone else knows what exactly will clear the picture up, if fully possible.

I know my first HD CRT tv looked terrible in HD, and my second HD CRT tv looks quite a bit better, but still not as clear as a regular SD signal would look on a SDtv.

So far I found this:

Very pricey, costs almost as much as your TV. Would be cheaper to upgrade your cable than buy this box. It is the only soulution I have been able to find so far, I will keep digging.

SigPic provided by

I am a proud former IRRegular!

couldnt you just use something like this

rf modulator
        that sounds like a good idea trooper.

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Twitter Feed