Vista and DRM

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vista and DRM

Going on 8 months ago, I made a post concerning Vista and DRM. Basically, some people (not just from this thread, mind you) were going on about "MS will force DRM on everything in Vista." I didn't believe this. And I noticed an article the other day basically stating that Vista only enforces DRM on HD material, and even then, there are 3rd party players that will bypass it (not that I even play HD videos on my PC).

From this post:
    Originally posted by TheFeniX
    If Vista comes around and tells me once "I'm not going to play this video/mp3/etc without a valid "license:" I'll be the first to bash the Hell out of them and switch to Linux. Until that happens, I'm not considering MS as "Pushing DRM" on me. WMP might ask if I want to automatically download licensing, but they don't force me to.
    As I plan to upgrade to Vista in the next few months when I finally scrounge up the cash for a complete system overhaul, I want to know if I need to invest in installing Linux instead. I have found nothing to the claims made in certain threads concerning Vista and DRM, but I want to be sure.

NOTE: I am not interested in the other content of the original thread nor anything related to "Switch because MS sucks anyways." We can argue that another time.

Has anyone here had any issue playing videos or MP3s in Vista. Or was this whole ordeal just more FUD?

Re: Vista and DRM

Originally posted by TheFeniX View Post
    Going on 8 months ago, I made a post concerning Vista and DRM. Basically, some people (not just from this thread, mind you) were going on about "MS will force DRM on everything in Vista." I didn't believe this. And I noticed an article the other day basically stating that Vista only enforces DRM on HD material, and even then, there are 3rd party players that will bypass it (not that I even play HD videos on my PC).

From this post:

As I plan to upgrade to Vista in the next few months when I finally scrounge up the cash for a complete system overhaul, I want to know if I need to invest in installing Linux instead. I have found nothing to the claims made in certain threads concerning Vista and DRM, but I want to be sure.

NOTE: I am not interested in the other content of the original thread nor anything related to "Switch because MS sucks anyways." We can argue that another time.

Has anyone here had any issue playing videos or MP3s in Vista. Or was this whole ordeal just more FUD?

I have had no problem playing any audio or video file in vista, at least those that I had the codecs installed for :) .

I did watch Darker then Black (an Anime ) back before it was Licensed, in 720p, so it does not block HD content on VGA unless the HD content asks for it.
    Current game name : Lost, Phantom Thief

Comment

I don't have any DRM type videos or MP3's so everything plays fine. I don't have a HD-DVD player either but DVD's play just fine.

There's not much to really report until users start trying out HD content (which will be protected).

- It's who you game with.

Comment

I ran into some issues at 1st with Vista and DRM to later find out it was not Vista but rather the new Windows Media Player 11. I was using a 3rd party program to convert WMA (protected) to MP3 format (unprotected). After doing a quick search, I found it is a option inside Media Player that can be simply disabled. Once unchecked I have not seen any issues since I fixed it.
        "The chief foundations of all states, new as well as old or composite, are good laws and good arms; and as there cannot be good laws where the state is not well armed, it follows that where they are well armed they have good laws." -Machiavelli

Comment

Originally posted by =Sarc= View Post
          I don't have any DRM type videos or MP3's so everything plays fine. I don't have a HD-DVD player either but DVD's play just fine.
          That wasn't what I was told though. People were basically saying that Vista would block attempts to play any videos or music that didn't have a license.

I can understand companies jumping through hoops for something as heavily contested and legislated like HD content. Hell, you won't even be able to get 1080p over component, even though the wire itself has the bandwidth for it.

What I was concerned with was the notion that MS would monitor every piece of media you had and control your viewing of it.

For example: the software that came with my Sony Clie' (a gift) wouldn't even let me load my legal mp3s of "The Offspring: Greatest Hits" because I couldn't prove I owned a license. So, it seems this isn't the issue. Thank you all for your answers.

Comment

For example: the software that came with my Sony Clie' (a gift) wouldn't even let me load my legal mp3s of "The Offspring: Greatest Hits" because I couldn't prove I owned a license.
            Maybe it had a high standard and wouldn't allow it because The Offspring is awful ;)

Comment

You might want to also know that Vista sends data to the United States Department of Defense and the United Nations. Hows that for hey did you know!

Comment

I have absolutely no problem with vista playing non-DRM material. Preactically half the media I have on my computer is DRM-free simply because it dates back to the days when DRM didnt really exist yet. I have yet to have anything pop up in WMP or any other program that tells me I cant run media.

Comment

That wasn't what I was told though. People were basically saying that Vista would block attempts to play any videos or music that didn't have a license.

I can understand companies jumping through hoops for something as heavily contested and legislated like HD content. Hell, you won't even be able to get 1080p over component, even though the wire itself has the bandwidth for it.

What I was concerned with was the notion that MS would monitor every piece of media you had and control your viewing of it.

For example: the software that came with my Sony Clie' (a gift) wouldn't even let me load my legal mp3s of "The Offspring: Greatest Hits" because I couldn't prove I owned a license. So, it seems this isn't the issue. Thank you all for your answers.
                  Definitely no problems with non-DRM protected content. I've ripped CD's with iTunes, played videos/music and watched DVD's. Although, I don't use WMP so that might be a different experience.

From what I've thought, it's the HD content that will be protected and give the most hassle. You'd have to get a HDCP monitor and HDCP video card to play HD content. Although, I wouldn't care at all about HD content. I'd rather play that stuff in a home theater setup where presumably there wouldn't be that kind of problem.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

I copied the contents from a 1st gen ipod nano that was all AAC formatted (I HATE itunes), and Vista and WMP11 played it just fine... even displaying the id tags.

*Note, I did not steal the music, the ipod is synced to another XP PC that I own.
                    Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein
                    The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity. -Harlan Ellison

If all else fails: "rm -rf /"

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                    X