My Rig

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Rig

PROCESSOR Intel® Core™2 Extreme QX6700 (8MB,3.46GHz Factory overclocked) edit
    OPERATING SYSTEM Genuine Windows Vista® Ultimate edit
    MEMORY 4GB Corsair Dominator DDR2 SDRAM 800MHz OC'd to 1066MHz-4 DIMMs edit
    HARD DRIVE 1TB Data Security RAID 1 (2 x 1TB Hitachi SATA 3Gb/s 7200 RPM HDDs) edit
    ADDITIONAL HARD DRIVE 1TB - Hitachi 7200RPM, SATA 3.0Gb/s, 32MB Cache edit
    OPTICAL DRIVE Single Drive: Blu-ray Disc Drive (BD/DVD/CD burner w/double layer BD write edit
    MONITOR 24 inch UltraSharp™ 2407WFP Widescreen Digital Flat Panel edit
    OPTIONAL SECOND MONITOR 24 inch UltraSharp™ 2407WFP Widescreen Digital Flat Panel edit
    VIDEO CARD Dual 768MB Nvidia GeForce 8800 Ultra edit
    PHYSICS ACCELERATOR AGEIA® PhysX® physics accelerator edit
    SOUND CARD Sound Blaster® X-Fi™ XtremeGamer (D) Sound Card
    -Armed Assault- Looking for the EVOLUTION SERVER PASSWORD

Re: My Rig

So, did you buy that or are you just showing off what you want?

Also, ASUS is releasing a new soundcard that will be better than the X-Fi, its called Xonar, and is PCIe based. And 2x 2GB for 4GB of RAM is the best option to take now, so you can upgrade easier to 8GB (What i have done)

The monitor, Hard Drives, Video cards, Processor, and optical drive are all top notch, you should seriously post some benchmarks once you get that thing!

Whats the price total?
    Oyee

Comment

IF i get that thing, i am saving up, so when i am 35 i will post the benchmarks, it costs $9886
      -Armed Assault- Looking for the EVOLUTION SERVER PASSWORD

Comment

Originally posted by blackknight63 View Post
        IF i get that thing, i am saving up, so when i am 35 i will post the benchmarks, it costs $9886
        Maybe drop one of the monitors so that you can get it sooner :)

Comment

Why would you spend $10k on a computer like that? *confused*

Comment

Yeah when no matter what, it will be almost obsolete in 3 years. Its why I don't mind spending 1,500-1,600 every 3 years on a computer.

Also, this is why I can't justify 500-600$ video cards yearly. They come out with a new one every year. Stay under the 2,000$ range.

Comment

You could probably build it yourself for less than half that... 8800 Ultra is a huge waste of money.
              sigpic

Comment

The BD drive is an odd purchase. I don't think there's a clear winner at the moment for the next media format.

The AGEIA card is a waste. Have fun playing the few games that support it. Plus, you mostly get prettier explosions. Oh, prettier explosions always make games better!

1TB drives? I wonder what you need that space for... :P

Go for 64-bit Vista since you'll need that to address 4GB of RAM.

Get the 8800 Ultra if it doesn't cost too much more. I'm talking about the difference of $20. If you pay a lot more, you're only getting a marginal performance boost over the GTX.

Other than that, I still don't know what the point of this thread is. I assume you want opinions of this build. Take everybody's advice and build a system sooner that costs 1/4 of the cost of the posted rig, maybe even spend less than that. Then you can take a vacation with the money you saved, buy some video games to play on that new rig, and still have some money for an upgrade in a couple of years.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

So if he had 32-bit Vista, he wouldn't be able to address 4GB of RAM?

I'm pretty much in agreement with Sarc on this one (except I'm still lost on 64-bit vs. 32-bit).
                  |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                  TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
                  Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
                  Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Well, I'm still not quite sure of the memory limitation with 32-bit Vista. It may tap out at 4GB or it may have the same limitation as XP. I do know that 64-bit Vista can definitely address 4GB and more.

My opinion, 4GB is quite a lot at the moment. Maybe in a year or two it'll be a good idea. Although, I've noticed RAM prices are much cheaper than they were last year. Still, 2GB is definitely ok for someone that has to cut corners.

http://www.vistaclues.com/reader-que...memory-limits/
                    Last edited by =Sarc=; 07-28-2007, 02:56 PM. Reason: Added link that clarifies the RAM limit

- It's who you game with.

Comment

this just goes to show

Dell=Ripoff

I could easily build you a system with the same peripherals. for 5k or so, maybe and probably less, a question arises though?

I spent 3500 on mine, ive had it the last six months and its been the greatest thing. buuuuuuuuuuuuuuut, I could never justify spending more then that. Technology changes too quickly

Comment

Vista 32 bit is SUPOPOSED to be able to handle the 4Gb, 64 bit SUPPOSED to handle 8Gb.....but had read it could even handle up to 16Gb of RAM?!?!
                        I am only putting down what I read, not from any experience. Thing is, MOST(not saying all) motherboards I see can only handle up to 8Gb of RAM with 64 bit Vista.
                        I put together a wish list of a computer I am wanting to build myself and for about $2200 I think it would come close to the one above. Although not with no 2x1Tb of HDD, I was thinking more along the lines of 2-74Gb raptors and maybe something like 500Gb HDD for storage. I am working with only 100Gb right now, garsh, all that room I would most likely NEVER use it. Then again I said that 5 years ago about 100Gb too.
                        Especially since the price drop of the Q6600 Core 2 Quad to about $300 dollars depending on where you buy it from.
                        By the time actually gets here for me to build a new computer the price might really be along the lines of $1800 instead of $2200 or newer technology will be out and I might be aiming for it?

Comment

I'd only go over 2GBs of RAM if I knew I'd be using the 64 bit versions of Windows. 4GBs won't be seen in a 32-bit OS, it'll be closer to 2.7-3GBs in actual use, as the "last" 1GB is used by the physical addressing space inherent in an x86 system.

Take a look at:

vvvvvv.codinghorror.com/blog/archives/000811.html

&

vvvvvv.interact-sw.co.uk/iangblog/2005/08/05/is3gbenough

(Six v's are used to signify three w's, as I can't post URLs yet).
                          Last edited by Coz; 07-31-2007, 08:26 PM. Reason: Typo
                          “The rule is perfect: in all matters of opinion, our adversaries are insane”.

Comment

@msdz

Windows vista 32-bit can only handle 4 GB of ram.
                            Windows vista 64-bit can use almost an unlimited amount of ram. if you wanted too you could use 100GB, but good luck finding a motherboard to support that lol :P

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                            X