Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Core 2 Duo e6600 Average rating under Vista?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Core 2 Duo e6600 Average rating under Vista?

I'm not sure, but I'm only getting a 5.3 rating from the windows experience thing. I'm not sure if thats the typical rating for the CPU or what?. Anyone else have the same CPU and same rating?

So obviously my rating is 5.3 since its determined by the lowest subscore.

C2D 6600 2.4ghz Non-OC'ed
    2x1GB DDR2 Dual Channel 800mhz
    8800GTS 320MB Factory OC'ed
    The drive that Vista is installed on is WD 80GB SATA/2 8MB Cache HD.

Does the HD score read from the amount of space the harddrive has? Or is it actual speed? Figured SATA/2 was fast enough to get a higher rating actually, unless it has anything to do with the 8MB cache.

I also have my Drive with XP installed, its a SATA/150 80GB, I'm not sure if its reading that as the slowest drive?

Re: Core 2 Duo e6600 Average rating under Vista?

Overclock the E6600 and you'll get a higher score. My E6400 is at 3.0Ghz and gets 5.7. You must realize that there are faster processors out there like the E6850. Plus, the rating system adjusts itself over time as faster hardware becomes available.

The disk rating is normal. I also get a 5.3 based on my primary hard disk (WD 200GB 8MB cache IDE drive). Although, I don't install games to it. They all go on my SATA2 drive. There are still faster setups than a SATA2 drive. There are also drives with 16MB caches and RAID0 setups. They'll surely be faster at disk access.

Don't let these ratings get you too down. There are tons of rating systems out there like 3DMark and whatever. Some of them are just benchmarks with numbers and ratings. Others give you quantifiable values like MB/s transfer rate. In the end, be satisfied with the performance you get in games.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

Yeah my 500GB Maxtor is 16MB cache. I do need to OC this Cpu, but I have no experience with OCing on this mobo and cpu. Last computer was easy as cake.

I just found out earlier 5.9 was the highest rating too.

Comment

Originally posted by UnDeaD77 View Post
        Yeah my 500GB Maxtor is 16MB cache. I do need to OC this Cpu, but I have no experience with OCing on this mobo and cpu. Last computer was easy as cake.

I just found out earlier 5.9 was the highest rating too.
        I pretty much got the same set up. PM me if you figure out how to OC it. I'd like to learn.

Comment

Well my multiplier is not locked, like my last computer was (2.4c 800mhz fsb)
          Everytime I change it to manual settings, it displays 533mhz, so I'm assuming just raise the fsb clock until it reaches past 1066mhz. I'm a bit weary of just setting the multiplier up.

Comment

What motherboard?

Comment

Are you sure the multiplier is unlocked? I think they're only unlocked for lower multipliers.

In any case, raise the FSB to something close to your rated RAM speed since the RAM uses the timing from the FSB. 800Mhz is a good start but you may want to try a little below that. You can also push the FSB higher than the RAM if your mobo has ratio settings for the memory.

OC'ing is pretty much the same with any setup. You just have to understand the concepts and learn what the regular settings are for the hardware. From there, you just push the settings as far as they can go.

Comment

Mobo is MSI P6N-SLI, Ram is just A-Data, I usually just run in a 1:1 divider, I need to find out what this ram can handle, then I'll raise my FSB a bit.

Also, my ram is already @ 800mhz default.

Comment

Is the RAM rated for 800Mhz or more? You can try going above the rated speed (it's a good boost to performance) but it can introduce stability problems. Although, DDR2 is supposedly pretty good at overclocking.

Raise the FSB a bit and run some stress tests.

Comment

The score is only a litle higher for the QX6700 (quad-core) with 3 GB of RAM.

Is 5.3 a average score to have or a not-so-fair score to have given his hardware?
                    |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                    TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
                    Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
                    Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

I setup my bios for linked setting, I raised the FSB to 273mhz or 274. It's difficult to really understand, since my multiplier changes under load for some reason, goes from 6x273 to 9x273, I heard its something to do with these cpus using less power when not loading stuff?

What I don't understand is my ram, right now its showing 398mhz so what is the multiplier?

This was alot easier when I had my other comp, 200x4=800mhz fsb, ram was 400mhz, 2x200=400mhz.

Also, I've lost touch with what applications are good for stress testing these days, any recommendations?

Comment

SuperPi and Orthos are some number crunching apps that are used for stress testing.

The multiplier changes because it's an Intel feature. Look in the BIOS settings to disable SpeedStep or EIST. It'll be called one of the two. This will make the CPU run at its full multiplier all the time.

The overclocking principles are still the same. Your old system had a FSB of 200Mhz. The new Intel chips use 266Mhz. The FSB is still quad pumped so the old (200x4 = 800Mhz FSB) method of calculating the FSB still applies for the new (266x4 = 1066Mhz FSB). You've changed it from 266 to 273. Raise it some more and notice that the final CPU clock speed changes.

Your old DDR RAM ran at 2x200 (400Mhz or PC3200). Your new RAM seems to be PC6400 (2x400 for 800Mhz). Most mobos will show the new RAM speed when you change the divider or the FSB while you're in the BIOS. Aim for something around 800Mhz and keep raising the FSB. You might want to check your mobo manual for what's going on with the divider.

Comment

Do you recommend disabling the speedstep/EIST feature?

Comment

It's a matter of preference. Some say it helps with the overclock. I think it's just whether you want the computer running full speed all the time instead of slowing down when it's idling.

Comment

Check out Tom's hardware CPU charts! http://www.tomshardware.com/2007/07/16/cpu_charts_2007/

They also have a ongoing overclock marathon.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X