Intel Q6600 vs E6850

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel Q6600 vs E6850

So..... I have been giving some thought to purchasing a new pc lately (whether I will do it or not is uncertain yet). The processor is what I am having most trouble deciding on (I don't really know why).

I have narrowed it down to the Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Quad Core Processor LGA775 Kentsfield 2.40GHZ 1066FSB 8MB and Intel Core 2 Duo E6850 Dual Core Processor LGA775 Conroe 3.0GHZ 1333FSB 4MB.

I have no idea how widely supported multi core cpus are yet so I am torn between whether to go dual core or quad. The above 2 mentioned are roughly the same price and is around what I would pay for a processor. I am more interested in better performance now rather then 1 or 2 years from now. So by that logic I would assume the 3gig dual code would be better for the time being.

Someone more knowledgeable enlighten me please :).

I love gaming, mmmmmmmm

Re: Intel Q6600 vs E6850

I'm in the exact same situation as you. I have decided to go with the E6850.

Take a look at some of the benchmarks on Tom's Hardware. The E6850 outperforms the Q6600 in pretty much every category. Programs just aren't designed to take advantage of the four cores yet. I am purchasing a quad core compliant mobo and thus in a years time when quad cores make more sense, are cheaper and faster, I will upgrade. In the meantime however, the E6850 is the same prices and a better performer.

All my points are moot however if you are planning to overclock; I read somewhere (can't find the link) that someone overclocked the Q6600 to 3.7 GHZ w/ 1333 FSB (around that) on air.

Comment

They are preaty much the same. You can over clock a Q6600 to 3GHz easily (or higher with the new G0 stepping model) but the E6850 will perform better almost all games.

Although this makes me think different when applied to Crysis:

What kind of performance difference will we see in Crysis between Single/Dual/Quad/ core processors?

You will see a large performance increase on multi-core processors, especially regarding the worst case frame rates during intense action sequences allowing the player to experience a more stable frame rate through out the whole game. A quad core system should provide the best gaming platform for Crysis.
      Source: http://www.incrysis.com/index.php?op...sk=view&id=411

Comment

I'm tempted to get a Q6600 with the prices so cheap. What stops me is that I want a new video card more and I don't think I need 4 cores. It's too bad we can see some benchmarks with Crysis.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

i will be going with the Q6600 around the end of the month... i do alot of crunching ([email protected], world community grid) theres to many to list lol, the projects that use your cores to crunch data... the more cores the more work that gets done the more credits you earn(which count for nothing but braging rights) and i belong to a team http://www.setiusa.net/

if your not doing anything like this then the 6850 will do you just fine..... its fast enough to do anything you want with it :)

like i said the only reason im going with the Q6600 is because of the 4 cores, more cores, more work done,, more creds for my team :)

Comment

Spent a lot of time on this myself. Sitting on a C2D E6600 at the moment and was really tempted by the E6850, since mainstream Quad-Core gaming (in reality) is at least 8-12 months off (if that). I decided to wait for Intel's "true" Quad-Core architecture CPU's in the form of Yorkfield, coming October-December. The new X38 chipset that is just around the corner will also have had time to "mature" by then, and nVidia's new high-end GPU will (hopefully) also have been released.

I'm guessing the best time to buy a completely new rig would be sometime around X-mas, preferably after, as prices on certain components tend to be lower. I could be wrong, but I made my best hardware/new PC purchase ever last fall when Intel unleashed their Core 2 Duo CPU's onto the market, and I follow the hardware industry headlines everyday (this in part due to having certain financial ties to the industry).
            “The rule is perfect: in all matters of opinion, our adversaries are insane”.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
            X