Trimming the Fat: New Build

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trimming the Fat: New Build

So I'm building a new 'puter and I have decided on the follow parts (prices in CND funds, as listed on NCIX.com):
    LG GSA-H62N SATA DVD+RW 18X8X16 DVD-RW 18X6X16 DL 10X Black OEM DVD Writer W/ SW ($35.99)
    Intel Core 2 Duo E6850 Dual Core Processor LGA775 Conroe 3.0GHZ 1333FSB 4MB Retail ($308.99)
    EVGA E-GEFORCE 8800GTX 575MHZ 768MB 1.8GHZ GDDR3 Dual DVI-I HDTV Out HDCP DIRECTX10 Video Card ($599.99 - 30$ MIR = 569.99)
    Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium Edition 64BIT DVD OEM ($123.98)
    Silverstone Zeus ST75ZF 750W ATX12V 24PIN Power Supply W/80MM Fan Active PFC Quad SLI Cert ($164.99)
    ASUS P5N32-E SLI Nforce 680I SLI LGA775 Conroe ATX DDR2 2PCI-E16 PCI-E1 2PCI SATA2 RAID Motherboard ($253.08)
    Antec P182 ATX Black Mid Tower Case ($135.99)
    Crucial Ballistix Tracer PC2-6400 2GB 2X1GB DDR2-800 CL4-4-4-12 240PIN Dual Channel Kit W/ LEDs ($143.10 - 25$ MIR = 118.10)
    Western Digital SE16 320GB SATA2 7200RPM 16MB 8.9MS Hard Drive OEM (2 x $78.99 = 157.98)

Total (before tax/shipping/fees) : $1,924.09 - More than I was hoping to spend.

Here's where your help is needed: where can I cut back in this build? I was originally planning to do a RAID 0 setup. Now that I look at it that adds ~200$ to the build (compatible Mobo + additional HD). I would like to keep SLI availability (to be upgraded to later) as well as the 8800GTX... Is there anywhere else I can save a few bucks?

Re: Trimming the Fat: New Build

I would recommend ditching SLI unless you're getting it immediately. It's costly to have SLI or even the option of having it. It's the price to pay to power a high resolution display. As an upgrade path, you'll have to be prepared to find a used card or still pay quite a bit for one at a store. The 7900GTX was king last year and it's not even listed on NCIX anymore. Search the site and you'll get a bunch of mid-range to budget stuff from last year. I believe it's better to sell the old card and buy a new one (RedFlagDeals is a great place to sell items, especially if you're from Toronto). The 8800GTX should have pretty good resell value in a year. Then you can upgrade to the next flagship card.

RAID 0 is also overrated. You'll be stuck with mobo RAID. While you think it's hardware, it's not. One of my friends had RAID for a while and sometimes after a hard crash, his RAID array would have to be checked. Nothing would be wrong with the data but his drives would be in heavy use for about 45 minutes. Plus, I loaded about as fast as him in some games and, oddly, faster when I built my new system while using the same drive.

You're probably getting a 750W PSU just for the SLI option. You can drop to a 600W if you're not doing SLI. It's not saving a lot but it adds up to saving from the SLI based hardware. You can easily save $100 on the mobo by dropping SLI.

If you get a E6550 instead of the E6850, you can try overclocking to the 3.0Ghz mark. Unless you wanted the E6850 and overclock that to something higher. That's a huge savings there since getting the newest and best will be expensive.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

Originally posted by =Sarc= View Post
      I

RAID 0 is also overrated.
      I second that. My friend has a sata raid 0 array. I run a single sata drive. We have similar machines and drives. He loads a map 1 second quicker than I do (20 vs 21 seconds). Not worth the cost.

DB

«That looks like a really nice house except for that horrible bathroom.» Donrhos

| |

Comment

Originally posted by ChopStick View Post
        So I'm building a new 'puter and I have decided on the follow parts (prices in CND funds, as listed on NCIX.com):
        LG GSA-H62N SATA DVD+RW 18X8X16 DVD-RW 18X6X16 DL 10X Black OEM DVD Writer W/ SW ($35.99)
        Intel Core 2 Duo E6850 Dual Core Processor LGA775 Conroe 3.0GHZ 1333FSB 4MB Retail ($308.99)
        EVGA E-GEFORCE 8800GTX 575MHZ 768MB 1.8GHZ GDDR3 Dual DVI-I HDTV Out HDCP DIRECTX10 Video Card ($599.99 - 30$ MIR = 569.99)
        Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium Edition 64BIT DVD OEM ($123.98)
        Silverstone Zeus ST75ZF 750W ATX12V 24PIN Power Supply W/80MM Fan Active PFC Quad SLI Cert ($164.99)
        ASUS P5N32-E SLI Nforce 680I SLI LGA775 Conroe ATX DDR2 2PCI-E16 PCI-E1 2PCI SATA2 RAID Motherboard ($253.08)
        Crucial Ballistix Tracer PC2-6400 2GB 2X1GB DDR2-800 CL4-4-4-12 240PIN Dual Channel Kit W/ LEDs ($143.10 - 25$ MIR = 118.10)
        Western Digital SE16 320GB SATA2 7200RPM 16MB 8.9MS Hard Drive OEM (2 x $78.99 = 157.98)

Total (before tax/shipping/fees) : $1,924.09 - More than I was hoping to spend.

Here's where your help is needed: where can I cut back in this build? I was originally planning to do a RAID 0 setup. Now that I look at it that adds ~200$ to the build (compatible Mobo + additional HD). I would like to keep SLI availability (to be upgraded to later) as well as the 8800GTX... Is there anywhere else I can save a few bucks?
        The EVGA 680i Motherboard is on sale right now for $116 at NCIX if you still inclinded to go that route.
        http://www.ncix.com/products/index.p...6&promoid=1042

I personally would get the ASUS P5KC as it supports both DDR2 RAM and DDR3 for when you upgrade in the future.
        http://www.ncix.com/products/index.p...1&promoid=1042

You could also knock another $100 by going with the E6750.
        http://www.ncix.com/products/index.p...8&promoid=1042

I know this doesn't trim the fat, but I felt compelled to offer an opinion

Comment

The evga 680i is a great price. Unless there's some kind of affinity for the ASUS board layout, the evga version is a huge cost saver.

Comment

Originally posted by =Sarc= View Post
            The evga 680i is a great price. Unless there's some kind of affinity for the ASUS board layout, the evga version is a huge cost saver.
            Yeah, I nearly crapped in a sock when I saw that. I almost ordered one just to have in case :)

Comment

Originally posted by JAMerica View Post
              Yeah, I nearly crapped in a sock when I saw that. I almost ordered one just to have in case :)
              LOL. I almost ordered one just because I couldn't believe the price!

Comment

SLI: I got it but don't use it. Whenever the prices for the second card come down enough, a new card comes out that by itself is faster than SLI.

RAID0: Live dangerous. If one disk fails you're toast. Backup with Acronis or Ghost frequently. Even then you may not be able to restore. I could not restore to RAID because of no support for my RAID (ASUS) from Ghost. With RAID0 load times in BF2 were 15s faster (1:30 vs 1:45) than without.

I don't think you need a 750W PSU - 550 is prob enough (unless you use 2 GPUs).

What about sound? Under Vista you have to be careful. Creative seems to not yet have it's act together - certainly not for anyhting less than X-Fi and there people complain.

Graphics under Vista is also not great - you take a FPS hit and there is frequent slowdowns. Look at the nvidia (mobo and GPU) forums to get a feel for complaints people have.

M

Comment

Right now, I would maybe consider buying XP with a Vista upgrade option. That way after drivers for Vista have been really tweaked and made to be excellent rather than iffy you would have the option to upgrade to Vista then.
                  Although I have not done this option myself, I heard you only have so long to upgrade to Vista before it can no longer upgraded from the XP? Not sure, maybe somebody else can clue me in just in case I decide to do this myself.
                  The RAID0 would be out of the question for me as well, I personally think that if you want to have 2 HDD's then place your games on one drive, O/S on the primary, maybe partition the second drive for storage and archive it to the center of the HDD. That way you will speed up your load times faster. Use something such as Disktrix UltimateDefrag for doing that, I do with my old computer w/ 2 HDD and it loads PR map pretty quicky.
                  Another option is settle for maybe 3 HDD to come to about the same price as what you have linked above, O/S HDD would not need to be anywhere around 320Gb...a 20 Gb would be fine and then one HDD for games and one for stoarge. I would do something like a 40Gb and two(2)200Gb-400Gb HDD's. Split the difference of what you were going to get 3 seperate ways, the cost of the priomary(O/S) HDD then 2 identical HDD's.
                  Also, Seagate has a 5 year warranty over Western Digital's 3 year warranty. All a matter of preferance in that though. I truthfully have always used WD HDD's and had only 1 fail me... but can still access it to get any info I had on it easily.
                  Also, Antec is nice and all but surely you can find a cheaper case that has about the same features for less?!?! That one sure has the a lot of places for cooling fans though...5-120MM fans that can be placed in there, WOW, I believe that would cool down the sun!!!! Just make sure it has some reputation to the companies name. Just do a lot of searching and reading customer reviews before committing on anything you WANT, you may find they are not as great as what you and advertisements make them out to be. Look for maybe some combo deals that will help out as well and do some searches to find maybe a better price just make sure if you buy from a company that offers something cheaper figure in shipping/handling to see if it really is cheaper as well as the reputation of that company as well.
                  I put a lot of thought in what I buy and where I buy it before I actually buy.

Also before I forget... Intels Quad Core Q6600 has dropped down in price. Maybe that would be something to look at as well. Might keep you from upgrading a little longer when some games really start using the quad cores. Only one I can think of right now does-Supreme Commander I believe it is. http://www.ncix.com/products/index.p...ufacture=Intel Combo deal!!

Comment

So I have sat down and updated, taking all of your advice into consideration. I decided to ditch both the SLI possibility and RAID. This meant a cheaper mobo & PS as well as only needing 1 hard drive.

I'm still going to stick with the E6850 over going for the Q6600 however, as the E6850 outperforms the Q6600 in everything I intend for the build (even in Supreme Commander - a game built for multiple cores - according to Tom's Hardware), so I'll wait.

Intel E6850 Processor ($308.99)
                    BFG 8800 GTX OC ($589.99 - 30$ MIR = $559.99)
                    Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium Edition 64BIT ($123.98)
                    Mushkin 550W ATX Power Supply ($69.99)
                    ASUS P5KC ($158.98)
                    Corsair XMS2 2X1GBDDR2-800 4-4-4-12 Dual Channel Memory ($139.99 - $40 MIR = $99.99)
                    Western Digital 320GB SATA2 7200RPM 16MB Hard Drive ($78.98)
                    LG SATA DVD+RW ($35.99)

Total (before tax/shipping/fees): $1642.85 - $70 MIR = $1572.85
                    Over $300 less! Thanks to all.

P.S.: Does anyone know the difference between the Asus P5K and the P5KC? The only difference I see is DDR3 compatibility.

Comment

http://www.infonec.ca/site/main.php?...detail&id=8465

You can get the P180 for a bit cheaper if you want to save a bit more money. Also, check out DirectCanada for more savings. They have cheaper prices and you still save on provincial tax.

Comment

Comparison shopping, let it be your friend.

Comment

You might consider buying the case at a local store. It would safe on shipping. Cases are quite heavy.

Comment

If Chopstick buys out of province, an entire PC build would be cheaper to ship than to buy locally. Since he wouldn't have to pay Ontario taxes, it can easily cover shipping and insurance. The only worry is RMA problems and shipping back. Although, NCIX does have RMA insurance that will make shipping items back free.

Comment

I still reccommend the 2 hard drives, just not RAID0. First for the O/S and the second for games. One hard drive will take a little longer to read and load lets say maps for PR.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X