Need a new keyboard...suggestions?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need a new keyboard...suggestions?

Okay, so clumsy me, I spilled cranberry juice all over my nice BenQ keyboard. My space bar now is very hard to press (sticky) and my "n", "b", and "m" keys are also sticky. My attempts and cleaning out the sticky keys have failed.

Does anyone know where else I can shop around online for keyboards?

I want something nice for under $25 (before shipping) and if possible something that feels like I'm typing on a laptop (not a must, just preferred).

I've been browsing through NewEgg, but the nicers ones are $25 and above. The cheaper ones are all brands I've used before and the keys rub off in a few months of normal use.
    |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
    TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
    Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
    Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Re: Need a new keyboard...suggestions?

first stick that keyboard into the dishwasher and do the most gentle cycle, no soap. It should work after drying it a couple of days.

I like the Goldtouch keyboards. Very ergonomic.

Comment

Did you have that BenQ X keyboard or whatever technology it's called? I think it's BenQ that makes it. It has keys that have similar push to laptop keys.

I thought I saw them on sale a few months ago for about $30. Maybe you can still nab one from somewhere if we all keep a look out for it.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

all i have to say is get a G15

Comment

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...2E16823121115R

Comment

Originally posted by silenthunter343 View Post
            all i have to say is get a G15
            Cool keyboard but most definitely not in the $25 range.

Comment

Yes I am using the BenQ keyboard with the X-Key technology. After disassembling it to clean out the gunk (which was futile), I was actually shocked how well made it was.

Durability aside, yeah, I don't have the funds for a G15, whether or not it is a nice keyboard (with a load of extra features I don't ever use, namely TS overlay).

Thanks to Sordavie for a nice suggestion. I'll add it to my list of considerations.

Aren't there any other places to shop online besides NewEgg for keyboards?

Edit: I feel at this point, anything that's not more than $31/32 is worth it. I want something that'll hold me until next year or so, but at the same time, that might be nice to last me through my next system too.

God, I wish I hadn't spilled that wholesome cranberry juice over my keyboard.
              Last edited by Acreo Aeneas; 08-03-2007, 10:49 AM.
              |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
              Former 9th & 13th

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

The one I linked to is the Benq with the x structure keys, if you don't mind OEM and open box. It's within your price range and should be the same, if not similar to the one you have.

Comment

It's essentially the same keyboard, without the sliding height adjustment and without the multimedia keys I've grown used to using. So yes, it's basically barebones, but I'm not too keen on "Open Box". I've never had any real good fortune with open boxed items.
                  |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                  Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Originally posted by marstein View Post
                    first stick that keyboard into the dishwasher and do the most gentle cycle, no soap. It should work after drying it a couple of days.
                    I always do it WITH detergent, but make sure it's in the top rack, of course.

I'm not sure what's special about this x-key stuff, but the dishwasher has cleaned up every other keyboard I've ever had. If it's wireless, make sure you take the batteries out first!

And absolutely ensure that it's completely dry before using it again!
                    Become a supporting member!
                    Buy a Tactical Duck!
                    Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
                    TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Well, I can't really use Mar's suggestion, since my family has never owned and currently do not own a dishwasher. Unless taking a hose to it works the same...

All in all, the space bar key is finicky at best and stuck at worst. If the room temperature is warm/hot, then the space bar is smooth as new. If the room is nice and cool, the key becomes stuck every so often.

I haven't had much luck looking for other e-retailers for nice $30-some keyboards, so I ended up adding a MS media keyboard to my wishlist. I'm just not sure if I should just stick to this BenQ keyboard until I can't stand it anymore or spend the $32 on a new one.
                      |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                      Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Originally posted by Acreo Aeneas View Post
                        Unless taking a hose to it works the same...
                        Yeah, just add a drop of dishsoap to a bucket of hot water and pour it on the keyboard wherever it's sticky. Then follow up with a few buckets of clean hot water, then let it COMPLETELY dry.
                        Buy a Tactical Duck!
                        Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."

Comment

I saw somewhere else that another person was looking for a keyboard with that laptop feel. The iRocks brand was suggested. They're on Newegg for $15 (X-Slim technology). If you haven't tried that out, give it a shot. Although, the keys are crammed so you may not like that.

Comment

Originally posted by CingularDuality View Post
                            Yeah, just add a drop of dishsoap to a bucket of hot water and pour it on the keyboard wherever it's sticky. Then follow up with a few buckets of clean hot water, then let it COMPLETELY dry.
                            Okay, would letting it bake in the sun for a whole day work for "drying completely"?
                            |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                            Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Originally posted by Acreo Aeneas View Post
                              Okay, would letting it bake in the sun for a whole day work for "drying completely"?
                              I suppose it would depend on how humid it is there. If I did that here, the keyboard would melt. I would set it near the cool dry output of an air conditioner, or point a fan on it overnight, AFTER shaking most of the water out of it, of course. I always use the edges of paper towels to get between each row of keys before letting it sit in front of a fan. If it's screwed together, take it apart and wipe it down real quick, then it'll only take a couple of hours in front of a fan in a dry environment to be good to go.
                              Buy a Tactical Duck!

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X