No announcement yet.

Upgrading soon.

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upgrading soon.

I built my computer last September from a barebones kit off Tiger Direct.

Current specs are:
    AMD 64 3200+ 2.00 GHz (939)
    1GB Ultra PC3200 DDR 400MHz (Before you cringe at 'ultra', I really have never had a problem with them)
    NVIDIA 7300GT 256mb.

And my motherboard is kinda a joke. MachSpeed MK8-939A. However, it's got all the slots I need and came with AC97 (Which I curse, but love at the same time). I built this computer for 500$. It runs PR on Medium with 4x AA, 1024x768. My other games I run on high. Everything is pretty stable and smooth. No problems.

But, for 500 more this year I could get some serious screaming performance. I'm currently looking at buying another stick of Ultra Ram, bringing me up to 2 GB's. The video card I plan on buying is an XFX 8600GTS. I recently built my friends rig with an 8600 GT and it's slick. So I plan on buying similarly. And from what I hear it puts out some massive OC'd performance. Now...the hard part. The processor. 939 makes me want to shoot myself in the foot, but then again the 939's by AMD are still serious in the market.

As of now I'm looking at an AMD Opteron 185 Denmark 2.6GHz. Dual core. While most of you have quad cores by now :p, I really dont need anything more than Dual. And I refuse to buy a Motherboard just to get AM2.

But I have a serious fear that my Motherboard cant support the processor. I pulled out my manual and searched the web to find nothing. According to my manual, the Motherboard supports the following:
    1. AMD Socket 939 (duh!)
    2. AMD 64 FX/64/64 X2
    3. Hypertransport technology up to 2000MT/s Full duplex.

Yes, I am very computer literate, but I really am having trouble with this. I dont want to order the screaming Opteron and find out my Motherboard wont take it... according to newegg's specs...

Tech Spec
    Core Denmark
    Multi-Core Dual-Core
    Name Opteron 185
    Operating Frequency 2.6GHz
    HT 1000MHz
    L1 Cache 128KB+128KB
    L2 Cache 2 x 1MB
    Manufacturing Tech 90 nm
    64 bit Support Yes
    Hyper-Transport Support Yes
    Virtualization Technology Support No
    Multimedia Instruction MMX, SSE, SSE2, SSE3, 3DNOW! Professional
    Voltage 1.30 V/1.35 V
    Cooling Device Heatsink and Fan included

Is that what the 2000 MT/s was about?

Also...the Opteron I'd be ordering comes with a heatsink and fan. Alright, sweet, but...I have a really bad feeling that the fan wont MOUNT on my motherboard. I've seen this happen to other people. If the fan mount is for 939A processors, I shouldnt have a problem, right?

If it's concluded taht my motherboard cant handle the Opteron, whats a good choice otherwise?

BTW, as an edit..
    450W PS.

Re: Upgrading soon.

It is disconcerting that the Opteron isn't listed on the mobo's website. However, I looked up the chipset and Opterons are supported.

I believe the mobo should support Opterons but hopefully somebody else can clarify.

As for the 2000 MT/s (MegaTransfers per second), it's just the effective bus speed you get from the mobo. Normally, the FSB is around 400Mhz and that's doubled for 800 MT/s. I don't know too much about HyperTransport and what the multiplier is for it. So I guess it's normally at 1000Mhz and is doubled for 2000 MT/s.

- It's who you game with.

Re: Upgrading soon.

Thank you. Another thought has come up...Dual core recognision and such with Bios...My board might not have bios out for opterons.

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Twitter Feed