Steam and WinXP user privileges

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steam and WinXP user privileges

For several years, I have happily used Steam under a restricted user account in WinXP. After installing under admin privileges, I simply added my user account in the security settings for the Steam tree and everything worked perfectly; adding games, updating Steam, launching apps etc.

Yesterday, I rebuilt my system and suddenly I can't get it to work. To the best of my knowledge, I didn't do anything different and the Steam support forums suggest this is the proper way, not that they are very helpful on the subject. Google gave no extra clues.

Obviously, I'm overlooking something here. I can still update Steam and install games as a restricted user, but hl.exe crashes to desktop on launch after a short glimpse of the title screen, no error message. It's not drivers or firewall settings, running as admin works just fine.

Suggestions, anyone? It would help with a crash report, but I can't seem to find one.

Re: Steam and WinXP user privileges

Wait...so its the same HDD right?

Specs? Current video drivers?
    Skud

Comment

Same physical HDD, yes. Fresh partition, though, but user has same privileges as last install.

7.7 ATI Catalysts and I don't think it's drivers. Everything runs fine under my admin account. For some reason hl.exe just crashes to desktop under my user account without an error message. I can launch it with "run as..", but that is not really an acceptable solution, for obvious reasons, plus it messes with my mouse settings.

Anyone know how you get crash reports from Steam?

Comment

Cain, do you see something logged in the event viewer ?

DB

«That looks like a really nice house except for that horrible bathroom.» Donrhos

| |

Comment

No, nothing. Can someone confirm that they have it working with the latest Steam client?

I tried reinstalling windows, just in case, fresh partitions and everything. Also, I dug up an old version of the Steam installer, but no luck. I guess this is yet another work of the windows-pixies that I just have to live with.

Comment

This might help you:

Mini-dump Files (for Steam Crashes and Game Crashes)
            Mini-dump files will only be generated by crashes.

Steam crashes: The mini-dump file will be located in your Steam installation folder (C:\Program Files\Valve\Steam\ by default)

Game crashes: The mini-dump file will be located in your game installation folder under the Steam installation directory
            /SteamApps/ (your account name) / (game folder) /

DB

«That looks like a really nice house except for that horrible bathroom.» Donrhos

| |

Comment

Oh, I got a bunch of those, but I don't speak fluent assembly so they tell me nothing. I opened a support ticket with Steam and attached one of the dumps. Perhaps they can figure it out.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
              X