Odd plasma resolutions - any advice?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Odd plasma resolutions - any advice?

I'm looking at upgrading my 32" LCD HDTV (which I also use for a PC monitor, movie playback and gaming) to a 42" Plasma monitor. Specifically, this monitor:

http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-a...2.html?tag=nav

What I noticed is that the resolution is 1050 x 1080, which is apparently a typically odd plasma widescreen resolution. In the Ben's Bargains thread discussing this monitor, here's what one presumably knowledgeable dude had to say about it.

Originally posted by somedude
    1024x1080 is common with plasmas so is not true 1080P. They have to scale horizontally to squeeze it all in. Not desirable. It is best to feed it it's native resolution so scaling is not required and avoids all the bad stuff that can happen during scaling. A PC is probably the only source that can put this res out. Doesn't make it a bad set though, as I recall the 720P plasmas had similar issues and people still loved them. I don't know why plasmas tend to have weird resolutions. Usually comes down to cost or manufacturing issues.

There seems to be some confusion between screen resolution, signal resolution, and aspect ratio. They are not the same or even tied together. The pixels and pixel spacing can stretched to create a screen aspect ratio that is different than what the screen resolution would suggest. The signal resolution is scaled to use the available screen resolution.
    So my question is... WTF? ;) More specifically, will this oddball resolution distort Xvid/Divx/avi files? Standard PC monitor use (e.g. desktop and applications like iTunes)? Gaming? I'm confused, but if I can get a decent price for my 32" on CL, the increased monitor size and presumably better contrast ratio have me lusting after this or a similar monitor.
    Beatnik

Re: Odd plasma resolutions - any advice?

That is a rather odd rez, and have honestly never heard of it. I dont believe it would distort any media playback unless the files were scaled to the max resolution of the screen and not the files themselves which somehow seems unlikely to me (just dont quote me about that though). Desktop programs are included in this assumption. Although with games I would assume it'd have some effect since they are fullscreen and scale to the max screen size as well as their own resolution. Ill let someone more savvy chime in though.

Out of curiosity though, why dont you look for a 42" LCD, instead of Plasma? Most of the newer models have fantastic contrast ratios and great solid blacks. Not to mention the price difference in that size range.

I my self have a comparable TV/Monitor as yourself, a Samsung 32" LCD with rez of 1360x768
    Focused

Comment

Re: Odd plasma resolutions - any advice?

Cool. Yeah I finally just posted over in the HTPC section of avsforum and their explanation was that the plasmas have more rectangular pixels, which is why a widescreen (16:9) plasma can have a native resolution of 1024x768. A couple people mentioned movies looking decent, but desktop stuff and fonts looking skewed.

I was wondering because I came across a good deal for a 42" Hitachi plasma (something like $900 after rebate), but after digging some more the monitor for whatever reason isn't PC compatible. So I may start looking at Costco - they have a decent Sceptre 42" LCD with a good contrast ratio for like $1100. While it's a couple hundred more than the plasma, it looks like a better fit for multimedia and gaming, given the odd pixel size issue.
      Beatnik

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
      X