DVD drive issues

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DVD drive issues

Ok, a few weeks ago I went to write a few music files to a cd and decided to just do it some other time and shut down my PC. I boot up the next day to play some BF2, but the DVD isn't functioning correctly, it still wants to write those files to CD. So I clear them out to see if that'll fix it. No dice, the drive still won't read any discs. Haven't found any working DVD drives in the basement to replace it, but I'm 99.999% the discs are fine. So, any clue why the drive is all of a sudden crapping out? I've done some googling to try and find a solution, but none have seemed to work.

So anyone have any ideas? I'm pretty sure the drive is still under warranty, but would rather see if its a software issue before I RMA it and deal with no drive for some time.

Re: DVD drive issues

Have you tried "removing" the drive drivers from the Drive Properties and then rebooting (which let's Windows reinstall their generic drivers)?
    |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
    TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
    Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
    Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

I've switched the drive, disabled it through device manager, completely taken it out of the system and rebooted without it. Haven't tried changing drive letters on it though. What the hell, I'll give it a shot and see what happens.

Comment

Were you trying to write it with Windows Explorer or with a third-party burning program? Have you written those files to CD yet?

- It's who you game with.

Comment

Window's Explorer. The files are gone from the queue, but XP still wants to write them it seems.

Comment

You can try disabling or restarting the IMAPI CD-Burning Com service. Do this by going typing 'services.msc' in a run dialog (Win-R hotkey). Look for the IMAPI CD-Burning Com service and disabling it in the properties.

In the future, I wouldn't recommend using the built-in burning feature. It's not really that great since you don't get enough feedback from the burning process.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

Yeah I hate using it, this was just something I was trying to get done wicked fast and didn't have any burning software installed at the time. I'll give that a shot, thanks.

Comment

There are some nice free ones like: Burn4Free (get it off of CNET) if you ever need an alternative to the XP burning tool.
                |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
                Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
                Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

I've got a few different software packages, I just hadn't installed them yet, didn't realize it at all!

CD burner XP-Pro or something along those lines is a good free-ware one that does .iso's and a buncha other stuff.

Comment

I use CDBurnerXP Pro for all my burning needs. Except for Dual-Layer DVD's.

"Everytime I read your posts I do it with Morgan Freeman's voice in my head as if he is narrating your life" - Aimed

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                    X