Damn Video Cards

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Damn Video Cards

I'm in the market for a new video card. my current card, a modest a NVIDIA Geforce 2 mx 400, will not have enough power to chug through the latest titles. or so i have heard. However i have limited knowledge of video cards. i know that for good framerates i need a fast GPU and that the number of megs a card has has something to do with the resolutions you can run at. other than that i have no ideas.

So what i am asking is there a site i can go and read up on this subject. or do any of you guys have any recomendations. i had hoped to spend around 150-200 dollars on this but this is more wishful thinking than anything else. what is the industry standard?
    thanks for your help.
    Last edited by =DdogG=; 07-28-2004, 01:16 PM.
    "The electric Yellow's got me by the brain banana!"

Re: Damn Video Cards

A GeForce 2 MX shouldn't even be able to run last years titles, not even including the fact that the MX series are the NVidia "budget cards".

I got my current GeForceFX 5700 for $150. It runs UT2k4 at fairly respectable frames at full blown (1024x768), although my other PC specs probably make up for more. No matter if you choose ATI or NVidia: I would not spend more than $200 on a card (I shoot for around 170-180).

Comment

i just found out that i need to be able to AGP 4x or somthing.

Comment

Don't worry about AGP 4x. Just get an AGP card as all current cards support 4x. There's 8x AGP but some don't even notice the difference. Be sure to balance your video card purchase for a CPU upgrade in the future. If you're a serious gamer, you'll want to budget as much as possible for the video card and a future CPU upgrade. A 9800 Pro would be a nice purchase but be sure your current processor will make decent use of it. If you want nVidia, stay away from the lower end FX line like the 5200. Those were horrible compared to ATI cards of the same level.

You might want to plan the brand you buy according to the games you intend playing. There are rumours that Doom 3 will run better on nVidia cards and HL2 will be better on ATI cards. Definitely check out any Doom 3 benchmarks. Remember, games of tomorrow will be running on either of these engines.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

Well, It would be helpful to know a little more about your system.

What motherboard are you running as an example? What processor and memory.

Your bottleneck or poor performance may not be just your video card and just an upgrade there may still leave you a little dissappointed. Sorry to stick a wrench in the works but IMO, a look at video card alone is hard to determine if the upgrade even makes sense in your current rig.

That said, a video card upgrade is usually a good move. I personally prefer the ATI Radeon Cards. There are diehards in both the ATI camp and the NVidia camp. You'll get both sides of the debate most likely.

A ATI Radeon 128MB 9600XT would be a good choice. Its a little forward thinking in that it will run on a AGP 8x board if you chose other upgrades in the future.

I think you could find one for in the $175 or less range.

For the semi-serious gamer, there are the big 3 upgrades. Memory, processor and video card. An unfortunate twist is that memory and processor upgrades especially in the Intel line will probably require a motherboard upgrade and possibly a new power supply. My big 3 just went to 5. ;) Items produced in the year 2003 or later will most likely yield you a good gaming machine able to play about anything you like....for now :icon_eek:

Its unfortunate, but upgrades tend to get a little gooey. Its like trying to take your stock Chevelle and do a little work to put it on the drag strip, where do you stop? Ya wanna compete.....or ya wanna win????? :icon6:

Comment

good point here is the rest of my system info

Operating System: Windows XP Home Edition (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 1 (2600.xpsp2.030422-1633)
            Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
            System Manufacturer: Gateway
            System Model: E-4650
            BIOS: Default System BIOS
            Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.00GHz
            Memory: 512MB RAM
            Page File: 170MB used, 1079MB available
            Card name: NVIDIA GeForce2 MX/MX 400

Comment

ati radeon 9800 pro.
              linkage:

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...131-242&depa=0
              Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein
              The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity. -Harlan Ellison

If all else fails: "rm -rf /"

Comment

Not sure what other more technically savy people would say, but one approach you could take is to proceed with your plans to upgrade your video card and see how it goes.

Down the road you could buy a better computer and use your newly acquired video card in it or keep this computer in tact for another family member.

Not sure if budget constraints are a big issue but you could see some decent improvements with a new vid card and another 512 of memory if your system will accept it, (ie a slot available).

Best of luck.

Comment

Originally posted by =DdogG=
                  Ummm that linkage is to a 9600XT ;)

Although I have the 9800 pro 256MB and love it..but its more money!

Comment

oops.. sorry, I meant to link to the 9600xt AND the 9800pro..... sorry

9800 pro link:

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...127-127&depa=0

9600xt link:

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...131-242&depa=0

OR NVidia (dont bother, but if you must):

5700 ultra:

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...130-201&depa=0

sorry about the last post.

any of these will match the 2.0 ghz processor rather nicely... more gpu and the cpu is bottlenecking you, less, and the gpu is still the bottlneck.
                    Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein
                    The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity. -Harlan Ellison

If all else fails: "rm -rf /"

Comment

If you have a store called BestBuy near you, they have ATI 9800Pro's on sale for $179 right now (after rebates, of course).

Comment

i got a 9800 pro 128 and it's good :)

Comment

Same here. I was on a GeForce 2 MX400 for a couple of years (despite what's been alleged here, it WOULD run current titles for the most part, you just couldn't turn on all the eye candy), and I just upgraded to a Radeon 9800 Pro. Sweet card! I upgraded mainly to get ready for the new titles about to come out (Doom 3 and HL2).

Comment

Originally posted by Rampage
                            I was on a GeForce 2 MX400 for a couple of years (despite what's been alleged here, it WOULD run current titles for the most part, you just couldn't turn on all the eye candy),
                            Ah that's my bad. I should have clarified: If I can't run a game at (least) 1024x768 with full blown and not pull 30+ FPS, I won't play it. Hence why I would consider an MX incapable of running these games.

Comment

Well at the time I purchased it, it was about $90. Couldn't beat the price, and it was an upgrade from a TNT2. :)

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X