Alternatives to Zonealarm?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alternatives to Zonealarm?

Okay, I've basically had it up to my frontal cortex with my copy of ZoneAlarm Pro. I've been a avid user and support of the product for the past 7 years. It has caused me many headaches and issues ranging from mysteriously eating bandwidth, crashing several games, and now it is interferring with my ability to completely load a website. I've basically brushed off some of the initial problems as attributed to other programs or put up with the constant issues.

Are there any good alternative firewalls to ZoneAlarm anyone can recommend?
    |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
    TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
    Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
    Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Re: Alternatives to Zonealarm?

i run the XP one and have never had an issue. Run the XP firewall and a good spyware program like, adaware or Microsoft defendor and you should be good.
    that sounds like a good idea trooper.
    -Vulcan

Comment

I never used the XP firewall but I like the Vista firewall. It seems to provide a bit more flexibility but I suppose they're pretty much the same thing.

When I used XP, I did like Kerio Personal Firewall.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

XP firewall works good. In conjunction with a hardware based firewall it's not a bad solution.

You could even go download the CheckPoint SecureClient/SecureRemote package. It's actually supposed to be a VPN client for the CheckPoint firewall, but when you install it gives you the option of installing either of those two products. The SecureClient product includes a software based firewall that's halfway decent.

FWIW: I hate ZoneAlarm too.
        Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

Comment

I use the Kerio/Sunbelt firewall, and it seems to work pretty well. I don't have Apophis trying to stress-test it or anything though, so take my recommendation with a grain of salt.

(No, Apo, that was not an invitation.)
          [volun2]
          NS Game Officer. TF2 Admin. BF2 Admin / Scripter. PM with issues.
          Tempus: Pokerface is nailing it right on the head. Everyone who is arguing against him is simply arguing against reality.
          <anmuzi> it is not permitted to have privacy or anonymity
          <LazyEye> yeah when I play on TG the server digs though my trash

Arm yourself with knowledge: TG NS TF2 BF2

Comment

Err, yeah, I hope Apo wasn't thinking about bombarding my network... :p

I think I'm going to go without a firewall for a while. I've used Kerio on another system and the thing has a huge learning curve. I'm just tired of having to set and reset settings for every program manually because the software firewall blocks a program from running properly.
            |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
            Former 9th & 13th

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

I am currently using the Panda AV and FW suite.

Comment

Yeah XP Firewall is good, Virus scanner maybe Bit defender to block programs connecting to IPs.. And run both Spybot and Adaware2007 every few days....

Comment

I personally use Outpost Pro Firewall since I normally hate all inclusive AV/FW suites. After testing several firewalls since ZA6 screwed things up badly, I ended up with Outpost but I honestly don't think it's really friendly for the non-tech type person. Kaspersky's FW/AV suite is pretty good however if you want a bundle. I haven't tried Nod32's AV/FW suite which is in beta currently however. Neither have I checked Outpost's security suite.

Comment

Does Outpost offer any free products?
                    |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                    Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Outpost Firewall does offer a version of it's firewall for for free but I do not recommend using that version at all.

For free firewalls, the ones that are mentioned most often I think are Comodo Personal Firewall and Jetico. Both firewalls are rated pretty highly among the software firewall category and are comparable to shareware/retail products available in terms of protection. They are also actively developed but they may lack stuff like parental internet controls however but those can be handled via other means (like using OpenDNS.) I haven't tried any of the latest versions of either but I've definitely been meaning to.

Honestly, I keep coming back to Outpost Pro myself so I highly recommend it if you decide to try it and like it as it offers a great all around protection.

Comment

Hmm, okay. I've been running Comodo off and on for the last week. I keep turning it off when it annoys me while I'm working.

I'll look at Outpost and Jetico sometime later. :)
                        |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                        Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Does anyone know of a very lightweight firewall? I want something which will impact system resources as least as possible, and doesn't have too many bells and whistles. Preferably free, but not neccessarily.

Comment

I've used AVG for the last two years. Never had any problems whatsoever, never had anything corrupt my system.

As for lightweight, AVG only takes a couple of seconds at boot to load up on a subpar machine. I'd say it's pretty close to what you're looking for, but it isn't free.

Comment

Originally posted by mentholated View Post
                              Does anyone know of a very lightweight firewall? I want something which will impact system resources as least as possible, and doesn't have too many bells and whistles. Preferably free, but not neccessarily.
                              I think that Tiny Personal Firewall was designed to fit that bill! http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/fil...scription.html
                              Become a supporting member!
                              Buy a Tactical Duck!
                              Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
                              TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X