Need a little help diagnosing a loss of sound

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need a little help diagnosing a loss of sound

Howdy, I no longer have sound on my PC. In the space between having sound and not, I've put in a new PSU and a HD2900XT.

It's an integrated sound card, and it's entirely possible that I forgot to reconnect something to the power supply, but since the sound is on the mobo and everything else is fine, I'm stumped. Any hints?

Oh, it's a Core2 e6400 running Vista, if that's necessary info (hp pavilion m7760n)

edit: This loss of sound is nothing to do with my speakers -- headphones don't work either -- and affects both the sound output on the back of the machine and the one on the front.

tiny update: master volume was set to zero somehow, but all I'm hearing seems to be coming from an onboard speaker (little "bings" when I adjust the volume slider)
    2142: |TG-Irr| Silverfish
    BF2: |TG-Irr| Maus

Re: Need a little help diagnosing a loss of sound

D'oh! This is actually some completely different issue. When I got my speakers, they overrode my Plantronics headset and I could never get it to work again. Until now -- and now of course the speakers don't work instead. Feh.

Move along people, there's nothing to see here ;)

Comment

Glad we could help.

Comment

Seriously, you guys are awesome :P

Oh man though, I have to blurt about this somewhere: I totally didn't appreciate how much of a difference a video card upgrade would make. From 40fps on medium settings and 800x600 in FEAR to 120fps maxed out. This is sweet - now I just need Bioshock and nobody will ever see me again.

Comment

Yea in about a week I'm building my new comp (E6850, 8800 GTX). I'm upgrading from a 5+ year old comp (1 ghz athlon, 32 mb vid card). Going to be sweet.

Comment

I just did that (new rig put together last night...finally built my first computer!) after my old 5 yr comp got too slow. Man, what a difference, Quad-core is awesome! I was transferring about 90GB of data from my other computer to this one, downloading about 3GB worth the Windows Updates, and installing MS Office and I was STILL able to listen to some music without studdering.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
            X