Home design software

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Home design software

I'm going to be buying a house soon and I was thinking that it would be cool if there was a product out there that let you created 3D models of your home and that you could then texture or paint as you like so that you can see how stuff would look. I was thinking mostly in terms of interior decorating/design and landscaping.

Well, lo and behold, as I was walking through Staples, getting school supplies for my kid, I see several products that do exactly what I want!

I was wondering if anyone here had any recommendations in this area, or if anyone could point me in the direction of some good reviews? Tell me if I need to stay away from a product, too!

I found this list to be a pretty helpful starting point: http://home-design-software-review.toptenreviews.com/
    Become a supporting member!
    Buy a Tactical Duck!
    Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
    TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Re: Home design software

I have been using the Punch Home Design Architectural 4000 for a couple of years now and it is an extensive package. It even allows for import/export to Autocad something which would allow you to exchange a design drawing with a professional builders company. It is however not easy to use(at least I don't think it is). Roofs are especially difficult if they are not shaped in a standard way(the house I am working on is added to).
    I enjoy the package's ability to create separate plans such as foundation/HVAC/Plumbing/Roofing and electricity. This allows for detailed and accurate drawings which gives you a strong hand with potentially sloppy craftsmen.
    It has a great interior design support with quite a few user provided models(you can add your own models to the program if you wish).

The package is quite pricey but it is one of the best on the market according to my research(which was done about 2 years ago). The program is kept up and has a living community so I feel pretty safe when I recommend it.

Urls:
    http://www.punchsoftware.com/boxtour/AS4000/tour.html
    http://www.punchsoftware.com/index.htm
    --
    VI VI VI - the number of the beast

Comment

Google Sketchup may do what you want and it's free.
      Retired 6th DB

Comment

Originally posted by PanzerHans View Post
        I have been using the Punch Home Design Architectural 4000 for a couple of years now and it is an extensive package. It even allows for import/export to Autocad something which would allow you to exchange a design drawing with a professional builders company. It is however not easy to use(at least I don't think it is). Roofs are especially difficult if they are not shaped in a standard way(the house I am working on is added to).
        I enjoy the package's ability to create separate plans such as foundation/HVAC/Plumbing/Roofing and electricity. This allows for detailed and accurate drawings which gives you a strong hand with potentially sloppy craftsmen.
        It has a great interior design support with quite a few user provided models(you can add your own models to the program if you wish).

The package is quite pricey but it is one of the best on the market according to my research(which was done about 2 years ago). The program is kept up and has a living community so I feel pretty safe when I recommend it.

Urls:
        http://www.punchsoftware.com/boxtour/AS4000/tour.html
        http://www.punchsoftware.com/index.htm
        I think I bought an older version of this back in high school for a home design project. It was really good back then. The interface was simple to use and not hard to learn. You might think it's scary to use something like Autocad but Home Design makes it simple.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

Originally posted by Wimpinator View Post
          Google Sketchup may do what you want and it's free.
          Yeah, sketchup is GREAT. I was going to see if I could rearange our living room but didn't wanna unplug the entertainment center or hustle couches around if the new layout wouldn't 'work'. So I drew up the living room in sketchup and moved stuff around on my desktop instead. It turns out it didn't fit the way I was envisioning, so I left everything the same! Saved me a bunch of time.

Comment

You can always buy The Sims 2.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse