C++ Gurus

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• C++ Gurus

I took a few intensive courses on C++ and Data structures my freshmen year of college. 5 years later I'm a bit rusty, but have a few requests to critique my logic:

Simple function to remove a node in a list of type list, I think I've got the right idea but I'm so damn rusty on pointers it's killing me:
    Code:
    //This isn't right, but just shows what I'm working with
        struct list() {
            list *next;
            list *prev;
            list *data;
    }

//This is the function I wrote
        void remove(list node) {
    list *nPrev = node->prev;
    list *nNext = node->next;

nPrev->next = nNext;
    nNext->prev = nPrev;

delete node;

return 1;
    }
    USAR

Re: C++ Gurus

You probably want to do some kind of comparison with node and the current node you're looking at. If they are the same, delete it.

This part looks funny...
    Code:
    nPrev->next = nNext;
    You probably want that reversed or something...

Code:
    nNext = node->next;
    nPrev = node->prev;
    So you have your references to nodes on either side of the node you want to delete. Make sure they reference each other and deallocate the memory for the node you want to delete.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

Hm, I thought that was what I was doing? I thought I was taking the node, selecting its next pointer as a node, and then changing the "next" nodes previous to the original nodes previous. And doing the same with the nodes previous pointer.

Or am I just using them wrong?
      USAR

Comment

Ah, I see... I got all mixed up when I first looked at it.

What happens when you run it?

The only other thing that might cause a problem is the function signature. If the function's argument is pass by value, it might not delete when you want it to. You'll have to pass the node argument by reference since the parameter calls for the list struct and not a pointer to a list struct.

Change the function's parameter to
        Code:
        void remove (list *node)
        or call the function with
        Code:
        remove(&node);

Comment

Understood. Right now I haven't been able to run any code, my PC is currently dead.
          USAR

Comment

Ok, what about this:

Code:
            void remove() {
            	list *nNext = this->next;
            	list *nPrev = this->prev;

nNext ->prev = nPrev ;
            	nPrev ->next = nNext ;

delete this->data;
            	delete this;
            }
            USAR

Comment

It looks ok. It also seems like you changed it so that remove() is an operation on a node object. Everything looks ok logically.

Comment

Yeah that's what I did (seems more logical, plus I won't have to check if the node is of type list). Great, thanks for the guidance.
                USAR

Comment

Perhaps off topic, but if you are going to do programming these days you might want to look at either Java or .NET. This way you can safely ignore the pesky *'s.

Pointer arithmetics will be a thing of your past.
                  --
                  VI VI VI - the number of the beast

Comment

Originally posted by PanzerHans View Post
                    Perhaps off topic, but if you are going to do programming these days you might want to look at either Java or .NET. This way you can safely ignore the pesky *'s.

Pointer arithmetics will be a thing of your past.
                    This is a good point. Managed code is much easier to program but... it's managed code. You lose that control you hated so much, which means your program might not run as fast or use the smallest memory footprint.

Managed code would be good for this unless it's a lesson in using pointers. I think it's still good to understand what pointers are and how to use them. Java uses pointers but not in the way you'd think because you never have to think about memory references. This can lead to problems when you accidentally pass a reference to a method instead of a copy of the object or vice versa. You also still need to understand the concept of pointers for linked lists! :)

Comment

This was entirely for a refresher with pointers and linked lists. I've done this all before, but I just needed to wrap my head around it again.

Plus I enjoy the control I get with pointers :) Now if I just remembered how to write in C instead of C++ I'd be in line to create some quick peices of code.

Now Assembly language is where the real speed is at :icon11:, oh my little microcontrollers how I miss thee.
                      USAR

Comment

Whenever I'm using linked lists, I use a 'list *pCurrent' pointer and use that as my main reference point. (the notion of a 'current' pointer gets used a lot in real-time code as well)

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                        X