No announcement yet.

Upgrade existing system?

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upgrade existing system?

Here's my current system. I know, I know... Dell XPS. Every time I get a new system I see-saw between building one and just buying one pre-built. The last time I bought one I was in a lazy mood and got a pre-built. Every couple of years I splurge and spend a wad of cash to get something new. Sometimes I get a great system, sometimes I don't :)

So... this machine plays old BF1942/DC & CSS Source okay, but I get some real FPS problems in BF2, POE2, and BF2142. I'm getting really tired of it and want to upgrade, but if possible I'd like to upgrade my existing machine and avoid getting a whole new system. If I upgrade my graphics card will I see enough of an improvement to stay with this system for awhile?

System Information
    Operating System: Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 2
    System Manufacturer: Dell Inc.
    System Model: Dimension XPS Gen 3
    BIOS: Phoenix ROM BIOS PLUS Version 1.10 A02
    Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.40GHz (2 CPUs)
    Memory: 3070MB RAM
    Page File: 571MB used, 3878MB available
    Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS
    DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
    DX Setup Parameters: Not found
    DxDiag Version: 5.03.2600.2180 32bit Unicode

Display Devices
    Card name: RADEON X800 XT
    Manufacturer: ATI Technologies Inc.
    Chip type: RADEON X800 XT (0x5D57)
    DAC type: Internal DAC(400MHz)
    Display Memory: 256.0 MB
    Current Mode: 1600 x 1200 (32 bit) (60Hz)
    Monitor: Plug and Play Monitor
    Monitor Max Res: 1600,1200
    Driver Name: ati2dvag.dll
    Driver Version: 6.14.0010.6587 (English)
    DDI Version: 9 (or higher)

Sound Devices
    Description: SB Audigy 2 Audio [CCC0]
    Default Sound Playback: Yes
    Default Voice Playback: Yes
    Manufacturer ID: 1
    Type: WDM
    Driver Name: ctaud2k.sys
    Driver Version: 5.12.0001.1196 (English)
    Driver Attributes: Final Retail
    WHQL Logo'd: n/a
    Date and Size: 8/11/2006 15:45:38, 499584 bytes
    Other Files:
    Driver Provider: Creative
    HW Accel Level: Full
    Cap Flags: 0x0
    Min/Max Sample Rate: 0, 0
    Static/Strm HW Mix Bufs: 0, 0
    Static/Strm HW 3D Bufs: 0, 0
    HW Memory: 0
    Voice Management: Yes
    EAX(tm) 2.0 Listen/Src: Yes, Yes
    I3DL2(tm) Listen/Src: No, No
    Sensaura(tm) ZoomFX(tm): No
    Registry: OK
    Sound Test Result: Not run

Re: Upgrade existing system?

You probably have a AGP card. There's not much you can upgrade to from the X800 on AGP. The best is probably a X1950 Pro and that's a couple hundred dollars. It'll run what you currently play but the games coming out now and tomorrow won't run very well. You'll eventually want to upgrade within another 6 months or a year.

- It's who you game with.

If your still using AGP, best card right now is I think 7950 GT according to tomshardware.. but if you have more $$$ get a new mobo and welcome the new PCI-E cards but the price gets higher...

My old dell had a 6800gt until new comp, but I could of upgraded to 7950 but the way games are going now to DX10 and more use on DX9 graphics, might have to get on the bandwagon and do complete upgrade next year.

Ah, but the X800 XT is PCIe :) The only issue I might have with upgrading is power... my supply is 460W. I'm probably gonna get an 8800 GTS 640MB based on the reviews at Tom's. *If* I get better FPS out of it then it will be money well spent in holding off a new system for quite awhile.

you might have to upgrade that PSU. Firstly, im not sure about the gts, but i know the gtx's have 2 six pin PCI-e connectors. Seeing as your card is PCIe, you prolly already have 1. The second one you could emulate using a 4 pin power connector splitter that usually comes with the vid card. However, 460w might not be enough. Check the card maker's website for specifics. My old 500w couldnt power my 8800gtx so i got a 700w OCZ extreme and it runs great now.

Also, if you upgrade to a gts, i would consider getting a new procesor as well. The P4 is prolly gonna hold back that card. I just got a core duo 6850 oc'ed to 3.6 ghz to replace my 4800X2 2.4ghz. I have an 8800 ultra. MAN! what a difference! Ive been getting around a 15-20 fps boost in all my games now. An aging processor can and will bottleneck a great vid card, so theres no point upgrading the vid card without considering the CPU as well.

You got a lot of ram so thats good, but you might want to think about an overhaul. You can prolly get everything you need for around 500-600 dollars if you get some deals. Good luck.

Having PCIe changes everything. I wouldn't really wait since that X800XT is pretty old now. The 8800 GTS is a good choice and the 460W might be enough. I think the 8800 GTX requires at least a 450W according to nVidia. So I'd bet the 460W is good enough.

- It's who you game with.

Most reviews I have read about the 8800GTS is they reccommend at least 550W PSU, I think you may be taxing the your hardware a little to much. I have an AGP X800Xt right now, and I am planning on a whole new build in about 5-6 months. I heard a rumor that Nvidia was to release a new video card in November, any others hear any word about this cause I searched the internet with no success in finding any info.

Ah, too fookin' late. It is ordered.

No matter... if it is too much then I'll just get a new PSU.

If there's one thing I've learned with computer/component purchases: never look back or too far ahead :)

I wanted a better gaming experience now w/o buying a whole new system. If this card gives me a 10 FPS increase then I'm good. It'll bump to the point of playability. If not... then I won't be a happy camper and will fork out more quan for other upgrades until the itch is scratched.

I finally found something on the next Nvidia chipset. All the rumors I read confirm a November realease date, but you know how that goes. Be released sometime in Q2 of 2008 probably.

Built-in audio? Hrmmmm.

BTW... I received the 8800 but I'm leaving it in the box for the moment because it may go back :)

I have changed my mind and will build a whole new system. I hate doing this because the research takes so long but wth.

I've been looking at the 8800 GTS SLI numbers on Tom's and since I'll be running at 1600x1200 I may go with that. I'm even tempted to send the 8800 GTS back and get a couple of 8800 GTX :)

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Twitter Feed