No announcement yet.

Cannot get multiple clients on a router to connect to Counter-strike: Source

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cannot get multiple clients on a router to connect to Counter-strike: Source

Hey guys, I have been having a heck of a time trying to get both my buddy and I (same apt, same router) onto a game of CSS. It doesn't make a difference whether it's the same server or not.

One can join and play fine, the other joins but immidiately drops with a timed out message. I tried the port forwarding advice on the Valve website, but it didn't seem to work. Nothing works, and it's really a pain. Do any of you have experience with this?

Edit: Forgot to mention that he is on wireless, I am hardlined into the router.

Re: Cannot get multiple clients on a router to connect to Counter-strike: Source

Hmm...

Do you both have the Server Pack 2 installed along with the most current updates from MS?

Are you sure both of your clients are up-to-date (Steam client was recently updated)?
    |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
    TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
    Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
    Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Re: Cannot get multiple clients on a router to connect to Counter-strike: Source

Steam automatically updates when Valve tells it to. This problem has been reported all over the internet, but none of the suggested fixes worked. I would suspect it has something to do with your router or your ISP at this point. Sorry I couldn't keep helping you guys.
      The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. ~
      I have a tendency to key out three or four things and then let them battle for supremacy while I key, so there's a lot of backspacing as potential statements are slaughtered and eaten by the victors. ~
      Feel free to quote me. ~

Comment

It is probably an issue with duplicate ips trying to connect to the server. Your isp assigns you an ip when your modem connects to the network. With an always on connection you will have the same ip constantly with dial-up it will change quite often. Basically, a new ip every time you connect to your isp.

With you and your roommate using the same network connection, via the same router to connect to the modem or into another network if you are at a college, etc., you are both using the same public ip and thus the server sees 2 ips trying to connect and possibly as an anti-cheat measure disconnects the first and lets the second connect.

Just a guess here on this though.

Comment

Well the router changes the ip address but we would have the same gateway.

Comment

Great news! After hours of toiling, sweat and cursing I realized that I need to turn off the router firewall. It will not allow UDP floods, but now it's off. My buddy and I are finally able to play!

Comment

woah really? I've been wanting to do some MP gaming with 2 PC's but figured it was impossible since the router has a single IP address. What kind of connection are you on, cable? dsl? Any details on how to get it to work?

Comment

The bonus with routers is that they have this tricky feature called "NAT", or Network Address Translation. Basically, it picks random ports for your connections and maps them to the correct ports on the correct local machines so that you can have multiple computers making connections from the same IP address.

The problem is when you introduce buggy DRM software like Steam...
                The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. ~
                I have a tendency to key out three or four things and then let them battle for supremacy while I key, so there's a lot of backspacing as potential statements are slaughtered and eaten by the victors. ~
                Feel free to quote me. ~

Comment

Hmm, well that's a little risky turning off your firewall, but oh well, it works. ;)

Well I've never had this issue with playing over LAN with my siblings.
                  |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                  TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
                  Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
                  Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

The risk in turning off his router's firewall is minimal; running ZoneAlarm on your local machine (or pf on the router if it's BSD) is your best option for security AND network performance, at least until consumer-grade routers start shipping with half-decent firewalls.
                    Feel free to quote me. ~

Comment

Originally posted by whistler View Post
                      Well the router changes the ip address but we would have the same gateway.
                      Not exactly. It'll give you guys different internal IPs, (192.168.100.x), but as far as the outside world is concerned you're still operating through a single IP address that you get from your ISP. Your router simply allows you to share it.

I'm sure you could pay your ISP more to get a second IP address, which may not be such a bad idea if you both do a lot of gaming. As stated above, some servers might kick or even ban you for trying to connect twice with two IPs. It'd be nice to not have to worry about it if you're both playing the same games.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                      X