Newly build machine not starting up

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newly build machine not starting up

So I put together my computer today. Tried to power up and all that happens is the fans spin for about two seconds and then stop. I hear nothing starting up. While the power supply is on, the LED on the mobo is on, so that leads me to believe it's not the mobo. When I take the RAM out nothing at all happens. Anyone have any ideas? Ask me questions if you need clarification. This is really saddening as I was hoping to get it working today :(.

Any help would be mucho appreciated.

Re: Newly build machine not starting up

call a techie.

Comment

I had one do that with a bad power supply once, replaced the PS and everything worked like a charm.

Comment

I don't think it's the PS though because it's powering all the fans. As well as lighting up (it has LEDs) and it's fan is working too.

Comment

Make sure the CPU fan is properly plugged in.

Otherwise, check all power connections. A bad PSU will act like that.

3) Support game play in a near-simulation environment. Where the focus of play would not be solely on doing what it takes to win, but doing so utilizing real-world combat strategy and tactics rather than leveraging exploits provided to players by the design of the game engine.

Comment

I had a similar problem. The cause was me not having all the PSU connections to the mobo that were actually required.
            [volun2]
            NS Game Officer. TF2 Admin. BF2 Admin / Scripter. PM with issues.
            Tempus: Pokerface is nailing it right on the head. Everyone who is arguing against him is simply arguing against reality.
            <anmuzi> it is not permitted to have privacy or anonymity
            <LazyEye> yeah when I play on TG the server digs though my trash

Arm yourself with knowledge: TG NS TF2 BF2

Comment

steps to figure it out, sadly building a computer and it not starting leads to alot of BSing around with it to figure out what it is

Check PSU by connecting it to your current PC if you can, and see if it lights anything up or powers it on. a bad PSU can sometimes power fans etc. but not the motherboard. those where the symptoms when mine went bad.

if this doesn't work try Checking your CPU. assuming its a new Intel on the LGA775 socket pull off the heatsink, unlatch it pull it out. Check the Connectors on the bottom of the CPU. they should be perfectly clean no oils from fingers no scratches (you may notice a small mark where the CPU contacts the Pin, that's okay), also check all the pins on the motherboards socket to make sure they are even lengthed and clean. if this doesn work, then.

One of three things Is wrong

A. Your PSU is bad
              B. Your CPU is Bad
              C. Your Motherboard is bad.

since your motherboard is making no beeps its got nothing to do with Ram and/or vid card etc. (or if its like mine it beeps and shows a certain number LED Error code). Im betting its the Motherboard or the PSU. Processors that are duds are one in.......alot, Each and every one is checked and put through stresses before you get it to make sure it does what it is rated too.

Comment

Doesn't look like it is a basic problem (missing connections, connections not proper). I will probably take it to a local store tomorrow. This is probably beyond my nubby brain.

Comment

Do you have multiple RAM sticks? Try using one stick only and use different slots at first for troubleshooting. Some boards are quite picky about their choice of RAM. It might help if you list out your total specs but otherwise, I hope the local store can figure it out for you. You should get a beep error code or something without the RAM installed. Heck, you should be getting beeps regardless. Best of luck.

Comment

Make sure you used the little red washers when you put the mobo in and also make sure you don't have any risers making contact with your mobo that could be causing the issue also. Definitely check the PS I had a similar problem and almost rammed my head into a wall when I finally checked the power supply and she fired right up. I felt like a complete fool as that was the easiest thing to check. Don't assume anything!
                    sigpic

Comment

Chopstick, perhaps you can provide us with a detail spec list of what parts are in your build (including PSU make and model)?

It could give us more info to work off of and we can therefore give you a possible solution to your problem.

Some basic things to check for:
                      • Motherboard is not in contact with backplating/bottomplating of the case.
                      • Make sure your PSU's 20/24 pin mainboard connector is snug in the socket, 4/8 pin CPU connector is snug (if you are using Intel CPU), and 6 pin connector(s) are plugged (for providing extra power to your gfx card).
                      • Check to make sure your CPU heatsink fan's is seated properly and that the fan connector is plugged in.
                      |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                      TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
                      Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
                      Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

the last rig i built, i forgot to plug the 12v (2x2 plug) into the mobo.... check that u have all the plugs hooked up to the mobo