GPU cooler?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GPU cooler?

I am thinking about building a new rig this fall. I hadn't thought about a GPU cooler until I read an article on TOM's Hardware about a new cooler. Thinking about a GeForce 8800 GTS or GTX.

Do you use a GPU? Comments?
    The Old Guy
    kin3
    sigpic

Re: GPU cooler?

Yes, I use a GPU but not a third-party GPU cooler. :p

It's not really necessary unless you want to overclock. I don't really find overclocking too helpful. It's a lot of time (also could be a lot of work) to gain a few FPS.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

I had used one for my 7600GT because it was bloody noisy.

I have an 8800 GTS and it's really quite quiet. It does make a bit of noise when playing games, but then I have my earphones on anyways.

I wouldn't worry about it until after you buy it and you either can't stand the noise, or can't get enough cooling.....they almost always can be added on afterwards.

Comment

Thanks guys.
        The Old Guy
        kin3
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by =Sarc= View Post
          It's not really necessary unless you want to overclock.
          I don't know about that. The first generation 8800GTX video cards with stock cooler idle at 60-65C. To me that is just ludicrous. Under load though, they only jump up to about 85C with a manufacturer max limit of 125C!
          Being an old timer, I have never had a GPU idle so high. So, I for one am looking into 3rd party cooling.

Comment

Just build a new rig, 8800gts and it idles at 55-57 which I think is fine for a Graphics card. I think most cards should be fine with stock cooling, however some people just feel uneasy with these temperatures :P. You may feel better knowing your card runs cooler but for me personally I don't think it's worth the extra money.

I love gaming, mmmmmmmm

Comment

Graphics cards tend to run hotter than CPU's these days. So idling at 50 or even 60C is quite normal. If it doesn't run properly with stock cooling at stock speeds, I'd be more concerned with a defective card. Why pay more when it runs fine?

- It's who you game with.

Comment

Biggest change w/ a GPU cooler (3rd party) is being able to get a couple more frames through overclocking and reducing noise level/temperature. Zalman makes several excellent coolers if you need any. Hope that helps. :)

"Do not touch anything unnecessarily. Beware of pretty girls in dance halls and parks who may be spies,
                as well as bicycles, revolvers, uniforms, arms, dead horses, and men lying on roads -- they are not there accidentally."

-Soviet infantry manual, issued in the 1930's

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                X