No Video NVidia 8800GTS

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No Video NVidia 8800GTS

Hey guys, I'm a little stumped. A friend built out a good custom system from New Egg, I was there when he pieced it together.. he took more precautions than I ever do.

Anyway.. I've run into this before with NVidia card but can't remember the fix.. or reason why it happens.

The computer boots but with no video.. the monitor stays in 'sleep' mode with no signal, no wake up. Mine does that ever since I went from ATI to NVidia, but I work around it by turning the monitor on AFTER it begins boot and it works every time.. his doesn't. Any Ideas?
    sigpic

Re: No Video NVidia 8800GTS

Stupid questions first. Is it dual head? If so is he plugged into the correct head?
    Retired 6th DB

Comment

Originally posted by Wimpinator View Post
      Stupid questions first. Is it dual head? If so is he plugged into the correct head?
      What he said, I did that on my old system ><.

I love gaming, mmmmmmmm

Comment

I have a 8800GTS too. Leadtek. It doesn't do that. Sometimes the video goes out while running (like every other month) then I reboot and things are okay. It may be time to call customer support. Maybe you just need a new one. I was thinking about a BIOS flash but for a video card? Doesn't make sense.

Comment

It may not be plugged into the correct adapter on back, the card may not be seated properly or he may not be running power to it (enough).

Could be the motherboard also. Have him check those simple things first, then start taking things out of his pc that are not required to boot - get it down to a bare minimum.

Oh, is he Vista or XP?

Comment

Did you forget to connect the 6-pin PCI-E connector (from PSU) to your motherboard? This is also often overlooked.

Have you tried using a different pair of RAM? Memory instabilities or non-functioning RAM will cause a black screen on boot up.
            |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
            TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
            Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
            Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

On that note, I think Acreo meant to point out the power connector to the video card as well. However, if you built your machine, somehow, I don't think you would have overlooked this stuff.

Comment

If he is on a PCI-E x16 board, there won't be a power connector to his graphics card. All the extra power needed is supplied through the 6 pin connector from the PSU to the motherboard.

The power connector to the card itself is for those of us still using AGP.
                |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
                Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
                Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Originally posted by Acreo Aeneas View Post
                  If he is on a PCI-E x16 board, there won't be a power connector to his graphics card. All the extra power needed is supplied through the 6 pin connector from the PSU to the motherboard.

The power connector to the card itself is for those of us still using AGP.
                  Errmm, I have a 6 pin plug just for video cards (besides the mobo one) from my PSU to my ATI X800 Pro, without it plugged in, it's a nogo. Yes mine is an PCI-X 16 too. PSU is a PC Power&Cooling 500 watt, 2 years old.
                  {Once again, Fetterman wins "Grumpiest Pirate of the Week" award.} "Axis of Eeevil"

Proud Member of "TG-IRR" Since 14 Sept 2007.

Never give up, never give in. Fight until you die, or until you win. Failure does not come from a lack of knowledge or skill... It comes from a lack of will.

"Bittersweet Symphony"

Comment

He's got it all hooked up right.. I'm going to work the video connector angle a little more. He told me yesterday that if he has two Monitors hooked up they both start, but when windows kicks in the original monitor goes dark.. but he swears that if the original (main) monitor is in either header it doesn't power up on boot.

I've had similar experiences with every NVidia card I've used.. I just don't know what the permanent fix is.

He's got a FANTASTIC PSU.. he really researched it well.. the video card is on it's own 30AMP rail.. so power isn't an issue.
                    sigpic

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                    X