Installation service recommendation

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Installation service recommendation

I'm planning on up grading my computer in the near future, video card, more memory, etc, but I don't feel comfortable installing the hardware myself or choosing the appropriate parts for many reasons but two specifically:

1) I have no experience with installation and could easily get myself into trouble.
    2) I'd rather spend my time playing and not fiddling with my PC. I don't mind spending money for labour if the work is done correctly and if another problem arises I can have the problem solved promptly.

Can any one recommend a computer installation service? Should I be looking in the back of my local paper for an independent computer service person who charges by the hour? Or a company like Geek Squad? Or something else?

What are my options?

-Thanks!
    |TG-9th| TheFatKidDeath
    "Born to Party, Forced to Work."
    - Check me out on The Onion
    - I'm on the local news!

Re: Installation service recommendation

I doubt I'll be the first to say this, but it's really not hard to slap some hardware together. If you discuss your upgrade in this forum first, people will ensure you get the right parts. There may be some disagreement on brands and such, but this forum will ensure that everything you are preparing to buy will be compatible AND that you don't forget anything.

Once you have all the parts and you know they're the right ones, putting them together is easy. I don't say this to be condescending, but my 7 year old kid built his computer under close supervision from me.

If you have absolutely no desire to put one together, then I would look for any local computer shop to put it together for you. Make sure you tell them what parts you want to be upgraded to. If you're keeping your HDD, no problem. If you're upgrading your HDD, make sure you take them your copy of Windows to install on it.

I wouldn't say that it's worth more than a couple hundred bucks to have someone build an entire computer from parts. Don't let them charge you for the time spent waiting for the OS to install.

Comment

If it's just ram and GFX cards then it really is simple enough to do yourself even with no experience. It's really a matter of unplugging and plugging new parts in and doing some software deleting and installing and that is all there is to it really. My suggestion is do it yourself but if you still don't want do do it then have the place you buy the new hardware from and have them install it. I know that CompUSA will do it and so will Frys electronics if there is one in your area. Good luck
      sigpic

Comment

I agree that it isn't difficult to put together a computer. It's pretty simple and doesn't involve any kind of complext assembly. You stick the cards in the slots and such.

The tricky part is figuring out any problems and you can definitely see the kinds of problems that others have from past posts. This is where paying to get it done can prevent a lot of stress. You pass off the parts and the computer gets put together with reliability. For regular upgrades like a new video card, you could probably do it yourself without any problems. It's a pretty pain free post physical installation.

The best is probably a local mom and pop type store. You can pay a flat fee for installation or negotiate something. Maybe the chain stores are better but hopefully someone can give an opinion on that. I personally don't give much respect to the Geek Squad but that's more because it seems like a lame thing to have to rely on when you can do it for free.

You might want to check with friends to see if anybody knows somebody that's pretty good with computers. I'm that kind of person in my family. Every time I visit, I end up doing some kind of computer type task. It's mostly Geek Squad stuff too. Since I usually get a free meal out of it, it's a pretty good deal to help out!

- It's who you game with.

Comment

I'm in agreement with Sarc, your best choice is to do it yourself (or have a knowledge friend do it). If not then a local computer shop. They're usually cheaper and friendlier than Geek Squad.
          |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
          TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
          Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
          Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

I've heard countless horror stories about the Geek Squad. So many times I've read of them screwing something up terribly or suggesting quite idiotic things.

I'd go with some local service if you can find anything. But, as everyone has stated already, its really quite easy to do yourself.

Comment

As has been stated, Unless you have absolutely no desire to do it yourself, try doing it yourself.. you've pretty much got a ton of support here and it's not hard to do - Of course that is a matter of opinion though.

Geek Squad = NO WAY. Who knows what they'll do to ya and their customer service is among the worst I've ever witnessed.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by TheFatKidDeath View Post
                1) I have no experience with installation and could easily get myself into trouble.
                This is not true. It would be difficult to get yourself into trouble while upgrading your video card and memory. Heck, it isn't even easy to get into trouble building a PC from scratch...
                Become a supporting member!
                Buy a Tactical Duck!
                Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
                TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Just to jump on the Geek Squad bashing bandwagon, I have dealt with them twice and both times I came away about as mad as I can possibly get.

Second time was trying to return a faulty monitor to Best Buy. It had been acting strange for a week then basically became worthless to play on. Tried to return it but it was past Best Buy's return date so had to ship it off via Geek Squad for repair/diagnosis. It came back unrepaired with them claiming nothing was wrong. So I have to pay for the shipping that Geek Squad was out.

Turns out they did not actually test the monitor under the conditions that it was having problems and Samsung knows the monitor was faulty. Had to go through Samsung to get the monitored replaced. Went back to Geek Squad to get my money back and they would not refund me saying they were not responsible.

I however had prepared for this issue, my parents had bought a really nice Sony Plasma just a couple days ago and had not installed it yet. So that got returned about 15 minutes later, needless to say the Best Buy manager was thoroughly pissed at losing a $4000 sale over $20 in shipping. The guys at Ultimate Electronics across the street seemed pleased though.

So yeah while I still shop at Best Buy occasionally I would never recommend anything that involves Geek Squad.
                  |TG-12th| Sawviper

Comment

I haven't dealt with the Geek Squad yet (been tempted to a few times) when it comes to their actual PC repair services. From the Q&As I've had with a few techs, they were not very friendly though.

Isn't there a lot of computer stores and such in Cali? Isn't there one you have dealt with or heard nice things about FKD that can help you put some parts in?
                    |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                    TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
                    Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
                    Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Originally posted by Acreo Aeneas View Post
                      I haven't dealt with the Geek Squad yet (been tempted to a few times) when it comes to their actual PC repair services. From the Q&As I've had with a few techs, they were not very friendly though.
                      They were HORRIBLE! I tried using them twice - just to ask a QUESTION.. was even going to pay them just to answer a QUESTION that I wanted a quick answer too - never got to talk to a human - which is good, because I never wasted any money.

I've talked to them in stores and they just have the WORST attitude - first of all.. don't talk to me like you are gods gift to computing when you are only capable of spewing the latest sales propaganda you've been told by a manufacturer. Second, when my inquires are above your geek squad head, don't make stuff up or spew sales propaganda fed to you by a manufacturer - Just find out the answer and get back to me. Third, I've got 20 years in I.T. compared to your geek squad 1 or 2 years - I'm not asking the geek squad because I can't find the answer - I'm asking because I don't have the TIME to hunt down the answer and I'm willing to pay for your geek squad time to tell me and/or do it.

Anyway.. enuf rant about them..

Cheers!
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by CingularDuality View Post
                        This is not true. It would be difficult to get yourself into trouble while upgrading your video card and memory. Heck, it isn't even easy to get into trouble building a PC from scratch...
                        Well, if you mean that you can get in trouble handling electronic components I have to agree. I managed to destroy at least one hard drive and two floppy drives by running them on the case (and moving them while running causing shorts). Plugging components into the PCI bus while the computer is shut down but not physically turned off caused another wave of damage (to a card and to my wallet).
                        :madsmile: I am not a hardware guy. That's why we have to call Josť when we need a lightbulb changed. I am a software engineer.

Comment

Originally posted by marstein View Post
                          Well, if you mean that you can get in trouble handling electronic components I have to agree. I managed to destroy at least one hard drive and two floppy drives by running them on the case (and moving them while running causing shorts). Plugging components into the PCI bus while the computer is shut down but not physically turned off caused another wave of damage (to a card and to my wallet).
                          :madsmile: I am not a hardware guy. That's why we have to call Josť when we need a lightbulb changed. I am a software engineer.
                          Doesn't change the FACT you can get better advice and help from the TG Forums than you can from Geek Squad (and probably 'FireDog' too). I just wish I had a guy I could call to change my lightbulb or ask a good computer question 24/7.. When you just don't have time left in your day.. you don't have time left.. simple as that.. but the services these companies are selling are CRAP.

Hell - it's 1:30am and I am finally getting to take the trash out... maybe I should call GS... :D
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by marstein View Post
                            I'm a software engineer and know my hardware. I like to think of it as if you own a car, you should know how to change a tire. If you own a computer, it's good to know how to change your video card.

Although, it's also good to know the number of a good mechanic. :p

- It's who you game with.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                            X