so im pondering the thought of building a new rig,
    but im stuck on my choice of CPUs
    should i go with a quad q6700.. or a duo 6850,
    • quad/duo core
    • 2.66/3.00 ghz
    • 1066/1333 fsb
    • $319/$299 price
    • $400/$450 ram price

i only use my rig for gaming, i use windows XP (until vista64 comes out)
    i dont know which is better... 4 slightly slower cores.. or 2 faster cores
    when it was 1vs2 cores... 2 slower cores were better
    when it was 32vs64 a slower 64bit proc was better, is quad the way to go?
    powered by Windows 7

. . . .

Re: 2 processors or 4

Neither, Both are ripoffs in the greatest sense known to man.

Go with the QX6600 or the C2D E6600, they overclock just as well as the 6800/6700 and they don't cost a grand

Depends, on a multithreaded program such as Flightsimulator Quad all the way. on a program that uses one core like BF2 clockspeeds are in favor of the slower

Both the processors u named however will very soon be outdated and the ones i mentioned above will lose you about 2FPS and about 15 seconds while encoding a video. if that 15 seconds means alot to you however, use that grand =)

Comment

he's talking about the Q6600 and E6850, which cost ~300$. Personally I went with the E6850, because for now it performs better with games and is faster. Once the quicker quad core come down in price (which they will if the Q6600 is any evidence), then I will upgrade.

Comment

I'm not up to speed on multi core processors. Let me ask this simple question: Right now with my single core processor, if I leave three programs open, and then try to play certain games, I'll lag (even on single player games, so it's not a bandwidth issue). Would a quad core alleviate this problem, or are there other bottlenecks likely involved?

Comment

Originally posted by IceCold View Post
          I'm not up to speed on multi core processors. Let me ask this simple question: Right now with my single core processor, if I leave three programs open, and then try to play certain games, I'll lag (even on single player games, so it's not a bandwidth issue). Would a quad core alleviate this problem, or are there other bottlenecks likely involved?
          in most cases, yes. you could say

Encode a Video on 2 cores, and then play a game on the other two. both very CPU intensive but the Quads will handle it.

Comment

Uhmm, I'm pretty sure 64-bit Vista has been out this whole time, so no wait time on that.

Comment

This will give you some more insight and a extra hand in deciding:
              http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu...uad-q6600.html

Benchmarks and reviews on both...
              Oyee

Comment

I'd go with a dual core for now. The performance is pretty close right now but the dual core seems to be a bit better in gaming. There just aren't many games that utilize multi-core processors. I'm not sure why you list the RAM prices as different. The processors use motherboards that use the same RAM. Are you looking at DDR3 RAM or something?
                Originally posted by IceCold View Post
                That sounds like your computer can't handle that game due to RAM. Unless the programs are doing something in the background, you're more likely to tax out your RAM instead of processor. If it's something like running a web browser while playing a game, I doubt a multi-core will help with gaming framerates. What are you running in the background that causes fps problems?

- It's who you game with.

Comment

Originally posted by stickyjeans69 View Post
                  Neither, Both are ripoffs in the greatest sense known to man.

Go with the QX6600 or the C2D E6600, they overclock just as well as the 6800/6700 and they don't cost a grand
                  both the processors i listed are ballpark $300

Originally posted by =Sarc= View Post
                  I'm not sure why you list the RAM prices as different. The processors use motherboards that use the same RAM. Are you looking at DDR3 RAM or something?
                  the 6850 uses 1333mhz ram, and the quad uses 1066,mhz ram

Originally posted by Black_V!per View Post
                  This will give you some more insight and a extra hand in deciding:
                  http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu...uad-q6600.html

Benchmarks and reviews on both...
                  awsome link, thankyou.. from what ive seen there ( under the 3d game section) quads arent really worth it unless they are overclocked, which i havent had much luck overclocking my current amd 4400 x2, i can only get it +15% before it doesnt post.... temps are fine, voltage seems normal.. no luck tho (any pointers... as i hyjack my own thread)