New build frustration

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New build frustration

Man, every time I set out to piece together a system I get fed up with researching and reading reviews and end up just settling on stuff :) Anybody care to take a look at what I'm about to do and make suggestions?

https://secure.newegg.com/NewVersion...tTitle=Game+PC

I already have an 8800 GTS so I'll be running SLI. The only component missing is a PSU and I'm about to go nuts trying to decide which one to get.

Re: New build frustration

If I were you, I'd replace the CPU with this:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819115017

and spend the saved money on this psu:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817139002

And do you really need two cases? ;)
    sigpic

Comment

or alternatively the E6850

Comment

I'm going with the quad Q6600 myself for Cyrsis and other new games in the future.

What have u decided upon so far?
        The Old Guy
        kin3
        sigpic

Comment

4GB is quite a lot of money to plop down right now. I don't think it's necessary right now to have 4GB. Plus, you need an operating system that can effectively use all 4GB.

Go with either of the processors suggested. I suggest the Q6600 just because it's cheaper by a bit but it depends if you use any other desktop apps with multithreading support.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811129017
          The Antec P180 case is a really nice choice too. It's at a pretty good price these days since the P182 came out. The drive bays are removeable and actually slide out from the case without bumping into other parts. I have an older Antec style case and the drive bays slide into the case towards the back, which can be impossible with the length of today's graphics cards.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

4GB is NOT a lot of memory right now as I've learned trying to play games on 2GB with Vista x64 installed. If you're going the Vista x64 route, definitely go the 4GB route. I'm having to dual boot XP just to play POE2.
            sigpic

Comment

Yea, 4GB on a x64 os (Mainly Vista) is a good thing. Luckily i got 2x2GB so i can upgrade with another 2x2GB later. If you can afford 4GB go with it man, too much is never enough.
              Oyee

Comment

I'd go with a Seagate instead of the WD.

As for the PSU, 600W or more and a reputable brand. I also suggest modular cabling if you plan to go with the P180B case. You don't want the extra cabling bunching up at the bottom of the case blocking airflow (especially if you plan on using the bottom HDD rack).
                |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
                Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
                Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Originally posted by Acreo Aeneas View Post
                  I'd go with a Seagate instead of the WD.

I agree Seagate over WD.
                  Iím not racists, I have republican friends. Radio show host.
                  - "The essence of tyranny is the denial of complexity". -Jacob Burkhardt
                  - "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" - Emerson
                  - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
                  - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
                  - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
                  - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                  X