SP2 for XP Pro...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SP2 for XP Pro...

Anyone here running with SP2? Anyone know if its worth upgrading? thx.

Re: SP2 for XP Pro...

I love the upgrade. running an entire network and having to do ANY reinstall of xp, even with sp1, is a 3 to 4 hour nightmare. sp2 takes a lot of the hassle out of a reinstall, the security center will let you know if your av is out of date, ms has rebuilt the firewall to act more like Zone Alarm (massive improvement... color me impressed on this one) and is easily slipstreamed into a winxp sp1 or 1a cd. already slipstreamed it into an xp home oem, xp pro oem, xp pro retail, and a media center. I hated sp1, but sp2 actually (at least so far) has done way more good than harm.
    Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein
    The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity. -Harlan Ellison

If all else fails: "rm -rf /"

Comment

i cant install sp2.......... ;)
      From Adam Webb

Comment

Originally posted by Overlag
        i cant install sp2.......... ;)
        If you're implying you can't install it because of piracy reasons, you can install it. MS deemed it too much of a risk to not allow unauthorized versions to upgrade to SP2. Why release it if the majority can't install it and continue running full of security holes?

- It's who you game with.

Comment

na from what ive read they still block the 20 most know keys.......
          From Adam Webb

Comment

so.......................

find a new one. you can buy a legal xp pro oem coa for 83.00
            Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein
            The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity. -Harlan Ellison

Comment

DO NOT INSTALL WIN XP SP2 IF YOU HAVE AN ATI VIDEO CARD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

there are some fundamental changes that sp2 makes that causes the catalyst 4.7 driver to enter an infinite loop. my desktop was the only computer affected by the combination. I am yet undecided as to which will have to go, but for now:

sp2+Cat4.7 = :icon24:
              sp1+all updates+cat4.7 = :icon_cool

EDIT...... maybe its just me, but the control panel freaks out with sp2, tried without, and it was better, but still unstable. ATI has updated thier website since this morning to say sp1 OR HIGHER so they have found it to be ok......

as for the activation...... there are ways to get around that........ I refuse to use it, but I will pay microsoft for thier product.
              Last edited by =DdogG=; 08-13-2004, 10:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by =DdogG=
                so.......................

find a new one. you can buy a legal xp pro oem coa for 83.00
                what? a go through the stupid activition thingy for every new piece of Hardware i install? no thanks, i dont need to explain to microsoft that ive upgraded my PC again......

now id buy a winXp without activition........
                From Adam Webb

Comment

Doesn't XP pro have no activation? That is what I am using, and I have never had to activate. I understand it is a lot more expensive to buy a legitimate copy tho ;)
                  Wintermute

Play EVE online. It's like being an accounting addict in space.

Comment

Originally posted by Wintermute
                    Doesn't XP pro have no activation? That is what I am using, and I have never had to activate. I understand it is a lot more expensive to buy a legitimate copy tho ;)
                    That's the corporate version. Companies wouldn't want to activate a few hundred computers so there's a special version that only requires a key.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

DO NOT INSTALL WIN XP SP2 IF YOU HAVE AN ATI VIDEO CARD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                      I have a Radeon 9800 pro

thanks for the warning :)

Comment

You only have to "reactivate" XP if you make more than a certain number of "significant" hardware changes. I don't even think a video card counts, but I think you have to make 5 changes for it to kick off. I think it only counts things like motherboard swaps, maybe processor too (but I don't think so).

Comment

well i went through a stage of upgrading monthly, but lately ive stuck with my current setup for over 8 months, but then thats because i brought top of the range last time, instead of bottom hoping to overclock it to top........
                          From Adam Webb

Comment

it does take 5 hardware changes to make it reactivate. a mobo will do it every time because it changes like 30 or 40 things. a cpu does not count I dont think. anything that can use the same driver (going from a gf4 to an fx or radeon 700 to 9800 etc.) doesnt count either I dont think. but it has to happen ion a certain time frame... 5 changes in a rolling 3 month period or something like that... it might be a year. but there are ways to stop it from reactivating.

Comment

That makes sense, DdogG. Thanks for not making me have to look it up on MS. :)

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X