NEC DVD Drive doesn't recognize some DVD's

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NEC DVD Drive doesn't recognize some DVD's

This is so weird. My DVD drive currently recognizes only some DVD's. Specifically, ArmA works, nothing else does (BF2, HL2, COD2). I'll load the BF2 DVD in the drive, the light flashes for about 10 seconds, I hear the drive working, then it stops. If I explore the drive no files show, but properties show the DVD has no empty space on it. All DVD's work fine on another PC.

Any ideas?
    Last edited by Shafik; 09-08-2007, 01:41 AM.

Re: NEC DVD Drive doesn't recognize some DVD's

It's a discerning drive, and only wants you to play quality games ;)

Comment

lol. Just flashed the updated firmware, still nothing.

Comment

Hmm usually a firmware update will fix such problems.

Try another DVD drive to see if the problem is elsewhere.
        |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
        TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
        Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
        Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

This is getting worse. It got to the point where a restart would recognize the DVD, but now that doesn't work either. I've been sitting here for the last 20 minutes opening and closing the tray hoping for a miracle.

Comment

http://tdb.rpc1.org/
            http://liggydee.cdfreaks.com/page/
            Far as possible firmware to try. Drive might of died though.

Comment

I had that happen once,sometimes it would see all dvds/cds and sometimes just certian ones and othertimes nothing, sometimes it showed at boot and othertimes not. on the third replacement drive I was gettng very ticked, then it hit me, maybe I had a bad cable, lo and behold, that fixed my problem.
              {Once again, Fetterman wins "Grumpiest Pirate of the Week" award.} "Axis of Eeevil"

Proud Member of "TG-IRR" Since 14 Sept 2007.

Never give up, never give in. Fight until you die, or until you win. Failure does not come from a lack of knowledge or skill... It comes from a lack of will.

"Bittersweet Symphony"

Comment

or the ide channel could be going. I like the trying a different cable though... great idea. cheap fix.
                Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein
                The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity. -Harlan Ellison

If all else fails: "rm -rf /"

Comment

Originally posted by Shafik View Post
                  This is getting worse. It got to the point where a restart would recognize the DVD, but now that doesn't work either. I've been sitting here for the last 20 minutes opening and closing the tray hoping for a miracle.
                  I have a couple evil starforce protected games that I'm pretty sure cause my drive to do this occasionally. Starforce can cause your drives to revert to PIO mode instead of DMA where it belongs.

I use this fix on it when I see it acting wierd, but you may want to read the documentation first.
                  New to TG?

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                  X