No announcement yet.

And Another PC Build

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• And Another PC Build

I haven't built a new PC in while and my current gaming computer is outdated in every field so I building my computer this time. Below is my build, suggest any replacements for my current build and any way to save money without losing the quality.

279.99-Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 Processor - 2.66GHz, 4MB Cache, 1333MHz FSB, Conroe, Dual-Core, Retail, Socket 775, BX80557E6750, Processor with Fan

X2 53.99-Transcend 1024MB PC4200 DDR2 533MHz Memory

129.97-Seagate / Barracuda 7200.10 / 500GB / 7200 / 16MB / Serial ATA-300 / OEM / Hard Drive

409.97-EVGA GeForce 8800 GTS Superclocked / 640MB GDDR3 / SLI Ready / PCI Express / Dual DVI / HDTV / Video Card

49.97-Ultra Black Aluminus ATX Full-Tower Case with Clear Side, Front USB, Firewire and Audio Ports

239.99-EVGA nForce 680i LT SLI (A1 Version) Motherboard - NVIDIA, Socket 775, ATX, Audio, PCI Express, SLI Ready, Gigabit LAN, S/PDIF, USB 2.0 & Firewire, Serial ATA, RAID

134.97-Power Supplies > 700W +
    OCZ / GameXStream / 700-Watt / ATX / 120mm Fan / SATA Ready / SLI Ready / EPS / Active PFC / Power Supply

46.99-Cooler Master / Hyper L3 / Socket 775 / Heat Pipe / Intel Core 2 Duo CPU Cooling Fan

39.97-Logitech X-230 / 2.1 / 32Watt / Black / PC Multimedia Speaker System

42.97-Lite-On Super-Multi LH20A1H Lightscribe DVD Burner - 20x DVD±R Burn, 16x DVD±R Read, 8x DVD+RW, 6x DVD-RW, 8x DVD±R DL, 12x DVD-RAM, Internal, Black-Beige

Total (without keyboard and screen)
    1,482.77 (CDN)

Re: And Another PC Build

If you're not overclocking, the stock HSF will be fine so that's $45 saved. I'd recommend faster RAM, at least PC2-6400. In fact, for around $100 CAD you could get 2x1GB PC2-6400. It'll definitely improve load times and FPS.

HD space is cheap these days but you can still save a bit extra by going with a 320GB drive. You can even use your old drives if you need more space. You can also put all your games on their own drive for better load times.

By the looks of the PSU and motherboard, it seems like you plan on SLI later on. I don't like SLI since it's expensive and is definitely a horrible upgrade plan. Video cards don't drop in price often. When a newer generation comes out, the older generation tend to sell at the same price as usual instead of dropping in price until stock is gone. You can save by getting a motherboard without SLI.

Ditch the Lightscribe burner and get something without it. You save $5-10 and 50% on blank media (since Lightscribe media can cost around $1 compared to $0.50 for regular blanks). Make sure it's a SATA burner too. They're getting more popular and don't cost any more. Plus, new motherboards are skimping on the number of IDE channels.

Since you posted the prices in Canadian dollars, I'd recommend checking out or for some comparison shopping. Although it may be more hassle in exchanging defective parts, you do save quite a bit. It's great if you're outside of BC since both of those stores are BC only so you save on PST (which can cover shipping, insurance, and save you a bit).

- It's who you game with.

Any recommendations for a motherboard that works well with intel core 2 duo and nvidia cards

Hmm, looks just like the one I'm compiling. Everything looks dandy. :)
        |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
        TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
        Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
        Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Twitter Feed