Power supply advice

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Power supply advice

I've been thinking of purchasing a new rig in the next few months but I don't know how big of a power supply I would need.

The system specs I'm toying with are:

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E6750
    GPU: 2 Nvidia 8800 GTS running in SLI
    Memory: 2 Gb DDR2
    Hard Drive: Single Western Digital Raptor 10K
    Optical: Single DVD drive

Haven't found a good reference out there anywhere. I'm thinking somewhere in the neighborhood of 850W. Anyone got any tips or ideas?

Re: Power supply advice

You don't need 850W; you can run that system off much less. I highly recommend this power supply. It is the highest rated power supply I have ever seen anywhere (not just talking about on new egg). It has 2 x PCI-Express outputs too for your 2x 8800 GTS.

Comment

How would I know though? Does each component come with an estimated amount of watts required?

Comment

It's hard to really say how many watts are enough. I'm using a 500W with a single 7900GT, 2 harddrives, 4 case fans, and 2 optical drives.

Check slizone.com for estimated requirements on 2x8800GTS. That'll give you an idea for the base requirement. You may want to add 100W to it for growth. Although, there's not much room to grow when you already have 2x8800GTS unless you replace it with a higher end SLI setup.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

A quality PSU with around 600W output should be more than enough to handle your rig. You might be able to pull it off with a 500W one as well, but a 600W would put you in the safe zone.
          |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
          TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
          Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
          Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Thanks for the tips guys :)

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed