Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Serious" Problems with Core 2 Duos?

http://marc.info/?l=openbsd-misc&m=118296441702631

Found that while forum reading on one of the many game/tech related websites I visit weekly. I haven't read it in detail or bothered to do any background research of my own to confirm the details, so I'm assuming there is some truth to it (even though I don't understand the AI90 and MMU stuff).

Do these "serious" problems with the C2D/C2Q line have a big impact on software currently out or coming out (games especially)? And does anyone else know more about this? One more curious question, was that recent "microcode" fix released by Microsoft attempting to fix/seal these "mistakes"?
    |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
    TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
    Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
    Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Re: "Serious" Problems with Core 2 Duos?

Yada yada yada, I already bought one in my home machine and I found out that my work machine uses a Core 2 Duo as well.

There's not much I can do about it now. I don't want to hear about the problems unless there are fixes or procedures I should take to prevent problems. It's unnecessary worry and it's not my job.

So far, I haven't felt any serious reprecussions of having a Core 2 Duo. Games run great and don't seem to crash any more than on my old PC. Although, I have the most accident prone combination of Vista, X-Fi, Core 2. All I know is it's a computer and it works the way I expect at the moment.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

The only problem I have had since building it 3 weeks ago is getting myself away from my computer :D. Ill look into the problem when I notice one :/.

I love gaming, mmmmmmmm

Comment

Originally posted by =Sarc= View Post
        Yada yada yada,
        I second the motion. Some people really like doomsday scenarios and post half the story, just to start a debate it seems. THE LIST is available from Intel in their specification update document. Similar lists are available for chipsets, memory, you name it.

From the document (highlights are mine):

«Notice: The Intel® Core2 Extreme and Intel® Core2 Duo desktop processor may contain design defects or errors known as errata which may cause the product to deviate from published specifications. Current characterized errata are documented in this Specification Update.»

Intel has always issued these spec updates (and made them available to the public). Other manufacturers might not be as transparent. Complex chip ? More errata. Does it matter ? Not if your PC works. And honestly, not many can read these spec updates and fully understand what they mean.

Happy gaming :D

DB

«That looks like a really nice house except for that horrible bathroom.» Donrhos

| |

Comment

Ah. Okay, so it is just people trying to hurt the reputation of the chip by making a bigger deal out of a usual occurance. Well, glad Dick cleared that up.

Thanks Dick! :D
          |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
          Former 9th & 13th

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Originally posted by Acreo Aeneas View Post
            Ah. Okay, so it is just people trying to hurt the reputation of the chip by making a bigger deal out of a usual occurance.
            That's what I think. Just for fun, look at the list for the 90nm Pentium 4's :icon19:

DB

«That looks like a really nice house except for that horrible bathroom.» Donrhos

| |

Comment

Heh, I'm not surprised. I don't think my Pentium D is much better (it's too hot). :p
              |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
              Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

There was that one chip (pentium pro????) that miscalculated to such an extent they had to recall them, but other than that most chips carry 100s of errata and users typically don't notice.

Comment

Originally posted by Shiner View Post
                  There was that one chip (pentium pro????) that miscalculated to such an extent they had to recall them, but other than that most chips carry 100s of errata and users typically don't notice.
                  You're right. The infamous floating point divide instruction bug.

Interesting story!

DB

| |

Comment

All chips have these kinds of errata. I write embedded software for a living, and I can tell you that intel's C2D errata list is quite light compared to some. Notice how INTEL is the originator of the findings and as of yet these flaws have not been found in the wild.

When errors in silicon like this are found, software writers and tool vendors (primarily compiler vendors) make patches to ensure the sequence of events that precipitate sed errors does not happen.

And yes, the microcode update from Microsoft is one such attempt of a software maker devising a plan to trap these errors and handle them as they come up... if they ever do.

Comment

:) I'm glad the microcode fix was released then.

Originally posted by draeh
                      Notice how INTEL is the originator of the findings and as of yet these flaws have not been found in the wild.
                      So the AMD, Cyrix, and VIA CPUs don't have these flaws? Or are they present but no one bothers to look for them?
                      |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                      Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

:) I'm glad the microcode fix was released then.

So the AMD, Cyrix, and VIA CPUs don't have these flaws? Or are they present but no one bothers to look for them?
                        Lookie here!

I guess people like to pick on Intel :D

DB

| |

Comment

:O AMD too has errata. That is interesting. :D
                          |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                          Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

:O AMD too has errata. That is interesting. :D
                            i never got problems with my amd x2 dualcore 4800 , for two years almost !
                            sigpic

Comment

Oh no, I didn't mean AMD had problems with their chips (which was the implied answer to the question of this thread). It seems most CPU errata doesn't affect the end user much due to the the workarounds and such employed by software programmers and designers.
                              |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                              Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X