COTS gaming box recommendations

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• COTS gaming box recommendations

Forgive me if this has been discussed recently. I couldn't find the thread.

I'm in the market for a new gaming rig. I'm content to leave my box-building days behind me. The box I have now was commercial-off-the-shelf (COTS), and I've been very pleased. I'd like to repeat that process, but, for the first time ever, I'm getting bells and whistles (if I man up and actually go through with this).

That is to say... I'm looking for the fastest processor outside of the "only idiots with too much money they don't know how to spend" bracket, some amount of RAM I'll tell my grandchildren about, and a hard drive that won't slow the other two down any more than it has to. Oh, and a video card that makes the system fans work. Oh... and a quiet system fan (silent isn't necessary, and I don't need a waterfall in the box if it's not necessary).

So, I'm looking for a company from whom I can purchase a beefy gaming rig. I'm content with my 19" CRT, but I'm not necessarily opposed to a new monitor. I love XP (and can install it myself), but I'll jump to Vista if it makes life easier for my new hardware.

Otherwise, I want a fully-functional box. DVD burner, CDRW, etc. Don't care about sound so much. Onboard gets me by. One-year warranty has always been sufficient for me?

Sooo, anyway.... many thanks for any recommendations you can offer or concerns you can raise for me.
    Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Re: COTS gaming box recommendations

I would probably go with a Dell XPS Gaming rig if I didn't want to build one myself. The warranty and overall support will serve you well and you won't really need to think too much about the box other than playing on it once you get it.

$1,700 will get you an XPS with a Core 2 Duo 6750, XP, 2GB memory, 250GB HD, CD/DVD Burner, and a 19" widescreen. The stock video in that config is a 256MB nVidia GeForce 8600 GTS but you can jump up to a 768MB Nvidia GeForce 8800 GTX for another $400.
    Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

Comment

Before I built my last box I STRONGLY considered buying a custom build from Velocity Micro . They come highly rated from HardOCP and MaximumPC, they offer COTS rigs that are easy to customize, and have excellent service and support. MainGear is another high quaility builder that you could consider.
      LoyalGuard

Comment

Don't know if you consider them COTS, but good value and options and you don't have to put it together: http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/

I know a few people with these and they are completely satisfied.
        |TG-12th| tHa_KhAn

XBL GT: Khan58

Comment

DELL's XPS line (like Apophis suggested).

ABS PC also offers COTS gaming rigs.
          |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
          TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
          Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
          Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Another vote here for Velocity Micro. Their build quality is great. If I were to buy instead of build, I'd get a Velocity Micro.
            sigpic

Comment

I got my rig from directron.com a few years ago. I chose them because you basically spec out your parts, including everything from the case to the mobo, etc., and they assemble it all for $40. I was very happy with their service.
              Beatnik

Comment

While i prefer to build my own PC i hear a lot of great reviews on Velocity Micro. I've heard nothing but great things about them, read nothing but great reviews about them, and have even recommended them to a friend who now "Owes me their life" *Or so they said*. So i guess their pretty good. lol
                Oyee

Comment

Don't answer my silly questions unless you just "know" the answer and enjoy answering. I can find this crap on Google. I'm just trying to save myself time if friends already have the answer.

That having been said.......

What's a "physics accelerator" and should I buy one?

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

There are some games that support physics cards (PhysX), but I don't believe its been really incorporated into the mainsteam yet as a lot of games don't support it. From what I can tell, the power on current GPUs is sufficient to offload physics onto them without the need for a dedicated physics chip. Essentially, its a processor dedicated to just processing physics, instead of the CPU\GPU doing it.

Current games supported by the main physics accelerator out there:

http://www.ageia.com/physx/titles.html

FWIW, I don't think it would be a good investment with multiple processors becoming more common. In another 3-5 years that might be a different story.
                    Like the server? Become a regular! TGNS Required Reading
                    Answers to every server question? Yes! TGNS FAQ

Comment

Here's one of the threads on the Phys X card.

Also, Havok, another approach to physics.

Opinions vary :)

DB

«That looks like a really nice house except for that horrible bathroom.» Donrhos

| |

Comment

Sounds like something I could add later. I'll skip it for now unless someone offers a compelling reason not to.

Comment

Originally posted by Wyzcrak View Post
                          Sounds like something I could add later. I'll skip it for now unless someone offers a compelling reason not to.
                          With a PPU you get more particle effects in Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter. Isn't that worth the $200?

Comment

Originally posted by Zoopy_T View Post
                            With a PPU you get more particle effects in Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter. Isn't that worth the $200?
                            Yeah! I could totally spend hours shooting at trees and seeing more wood chips than normal. [/sarcasm]

There really aren't many games using PhysX. If they do, they aren't very popular or don't really add much to the gaming experience. The neat ones like Cell Factor require PhysX but I think it's the only one that requires PhysX anyway. Which means you end up playing the few others that bought a PhysX card.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

I've always been satisfied by on-board sound. If I stay with on-board sound on this really fast system I'm looking at, does the system's reliance on the mainboard for sound appreciably slow down my experience with the rest of the components?

Also, regarding processors, I can get a quad-core Q6600 for about the same price as a dual-core E6850. I realize that most games today (especially the older crap I play) don't use quad-core, but I'm often running stuff in the background while the game is playing, and surely more games (nevermind other apps, and Vista) will use the additional cores in the future?

So, am I way off-base thinking that quad-core is a decent choice for me? A little slower for now, but better in the long run? No?

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X