This a good RIG ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This a good RIG ?

hey guys im looking at getting a new rig for gaming i was wondering what u think of this ?
    im a newbie to making my own so im going to get one done for me .Yes i no its cheaper to build it but i dont have the time or the skill so im just going to buy it . So what you think of this custom one from NCIX.COM (canada) will this keep me in the gaming for awhile ?

1 x PC ASSEMBLY AND TESTING (PRE-CONFIG OS IF PURCHASED)
    1 x Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 Dual Core Processor LGA775 Conroe 2.66GHZ 1333FSB 4MB Retail
    1 x Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3R ATX LGA775 Conroe P35 DDR2 1PCI-E16 3PCI-E1 SATA RAID Sound GBLAN Motherboard
    1 x Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro LGA775 2500RPM 45CFM
    1 x Corsair XMS2 TWIN2X2048-5400C4 2GB 2X1GB PC2-5400 DDR2-667 CL 4-4-4-12 240PIN Dual Channel Memory
    1 x EVGA E-GEFORCE 8800GTS 500MHZ 320MB 1.6GHZ GDDR3 PCI-E Dual DVI-I HDTV HDCP DIRECTX10 Video Card
    1 x Antec Sonata III Black ATX 16IN Mid Tower Quiet Case 3X5.25 2X3.5 4X3.5IN 500W 120MM Fan
    1 x Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 320GB SATA2 3GB/S 7200RPM 16MB Cache NCQ Hard Drive
    1 x Samsung SH-S183A Black SATA DVD+RW 18X8X16 DVD-RW 18X6X16 DL 8X INT DVD Writer OEM W/ SW
    1 x Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium Edition 32BIT DVD OEM
    1 x Creative Labs Sound Blaster X-FI Xtreme Gamer 24BIT Sound Card 7.1 PCI Retail Box Bilingual
    1 x Samsung SyncMaster 206BW 20IN Widescreen LCD Black 1680X1050 3000:1 2MS VGA DVI-D HDCP
    Flight Simulator X (10) Deluxe DVD OEM *with System Purchase Only*
    1 x D-LINK DI-604 4PORT 10/100 Broadband Router
    1 x LG 16X Black DVD-ROM 48X CD-ROM IDE UDMA33 INT OEM
    1 x nGear Flash Card Reader 3.5IN Internal USB Black CF/SM/SD/MMC/MS/XD 18IN Cable Seperated Connectors
    1 x Microsoft Digital Media Keyboard & Optical Mouse Combo Black PS/2 OEM *With System Only*

Price =$1,832.58

Re: This a good RIG ?

You won't need the Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 if you don't plan on overclocking your processor. Stock cooling is more than enough for the C2Ds.

Why don't you get the LG DVD-ROM in SATA as well? It should only be a few dollars more than the IDE/EIDE one. Plus you'll have better airflow.

Otherwise everything else looks good.
    |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
    TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
    Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
    Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Yeah, you can get away easily with stock cooling so that saves you about $30. Get the Corsair PC2-6400 instead. The faster RAM is worth it. Find a good PSU and not whatever came with the case you're getting. It'll cost more but it is always worth it. You could grab a Corsair 600W for around $135 at NCIX.

I wish there was a better deal on that X-Fi. It's pretty expensive and not really that fully featured. Although, it's necessary when you want that fancy EAX stuff.

Go for a 8800GTS 640MB. It'll be worth it with the monitor you're getting. The 320MB won't be enough for high resolution gaming. You might have to shave some options in order to fit this into your budget.

Ditch that second DVD drive. It's rare to ever need a second one. Yeah, it's sort of an inconvenience when you have to copy a DVD but you'll have a fast HD and lots of space to do a disc copy. I'm not sure if you need that card reader too. You can find way better deals than that. Wait until around Christmas because I've seen card readers like that selling for $1. Maybe even check www.ledshoppe.com cause they have cheap stuff like that. They ship for free from HK and it takes a couple of weeks but they have some pretty good deals.

You can save more by reusing your current keyboard and mouse but that's up to you. I like reusing that sort of stuff since I won't be using the old rig. Or at least get a cheaper combo to use on the old rig. That MS combo is pretty plain jane and not really that cheap. Plus, it's PS/2 when USB would be nicer to have.

I couldn't find the DI-604 router on NCIX but the DI-524 is a similar model but with wireless. It's an alright router. I have both versions. You could probably score a pretty sweet deal at Futureshop on some cheapy router for $25.

Here's my NCIX quick spec based on most of your components:
      Antec Sonata III Black ATX 16IN Mid Tower Quiet Case 3X5.25 2X3.5 4X3.5IN 500W 120MM Fan $119.99
      Samsung SH-S183L Black SATA DVD+RW 18X8X16 DVD-RW 18X6X16 DL 8X Lightscribe DVD Writer OEM W/ SW $35.99
      Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 500GB SATA2 3GB/S 7200RPM 16MB Cache NCQ $115.98
      Logitech G11 Gaming Keyboard Black Silver Programmable Backlit Keys USB $49.99
      Samsung SyncMaster 206BW 20IN Widescreen LCD Black 1680X1050 3000:1 2MS VGA DVI-D HDCP $269.98
      Corsair XMS2 TWIN2X2048-6400 2GB 2X1GB PC2-6400 DDR2-800 CL 5-5-5-18 240PIN DIMM Dual Channel Memory $119.99
      Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3R ATX LGA775 Conroe P35 DDR2 1PCI-E16 3PCI-E1 SATA RAID Sound GBLAN Motherboard $139.99
      Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 Dual Core Processor LGA775 Conroe 2.66GHZ 1333FSB 4MB Retail $218.99
      EVGA E-GEFORCE 8800GTS 500MHZ 640MB 1.6GHZ GDDR3 Dual DVI-I HDTV Out HDCP DIRECTX10 Video *IR-$39* $398.88
      D-LINK DI-524 Wireless Router 802.11G/B 54MBPS 2.4GHZ 4PT 10/100 W/ Firewall $39.99
      Creative Labs Sound Blaster X-FI Xtreme Audio 24BIT Sound Card 7.1 PCI Retail Box Bilingual $78.70
      PC ASSEMBLY AND TESTING (PRE-CONFIG OS IF PURCHASED) $50.00

TOTAL $1,638.47

That's with a 8800GTS 640MB but a crappy X-Fi Audio instead of the Gamer version. You can always find ways to tweak pricing with parts like the the CPU and RAM. The OCZ RAM is a bit cheaper so you may want to check that out. I also put the 500GB Seagate in my quick spec build there. I just can't believe the price of 500GB these days...

- It's who you game with.

Comment

check this out

http://www.tomshardware.com/2007/09/...w_cost_system/
        The Old Guy
        kin3
        sigpic

Comment

On NCIX, are the parts in the system builder the sales price? Also you can't price match individual parts through the system builder off the website (unless maybe you do it in-store. Not sure on that since I don't live in BC).

Comment

I think having two DVD drives is a preference thing. I've always built my systems with a DVD-ROM that I use for installs and gaming and a DVD-Burner just for burning, which allows me quick 1 pass CD/DVD copying and leaves me with a backup drive in case my DVD-ROM fails (which has happened only once in 4 years).

If you don't care much about the EAX effects of the newer Creative cards, you can always opt for another brand and save yourself anywhere from $10 to $100. Or if you want a nice alternative to Creative, try the Striker Omega 7.1 sound card (EAX2, solid-state, $60 USD).
            |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
            Former 9th & 13th

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

how this rig from dell ?

Components
              Intel® Core™ 2 Q6600 Quad-Core (8MB L2 cache,2.4GHz,1066FSB), english
              Genuine Windows Vista™ Home Premium Edition
              2GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 667MHz - 2 DIMMs
              500GB Serial ATA 3Gb/s Hard Drive (7200RPM) w/DataBurst Cache™
              Integrated 7.1 Channel Audio
              768MB nVidia GeForce 8800 GTX
              Single Drive: 16X CD/DVD burner (DVD+/-RW) w/double layer write capability
              22 inch E228WFP Widescreen Digital Flat Panel

$1,949

Sarc u have a link to that rig ? cant seem to locate that pc u did

Comment

Why would they put DD2-667 RAM in with a 8800 GTX... Other than that I think that's fine, although they don't mention the brands of any of the components which might be nice to know. Also no power supply is listed or what motherboard is in there (nice to know if it's got slots for ram upgrades or maybe SLI or what kind of chip support it has).

Comment

The rig I created at NCIX was just adding stuff to my cart. Most of the components were from the weekly deal.

DDR2-667 really shouldn't be in a mid-end gaming rig. You should at least go for DDR2-800. That's what you get from Dell though. They're extremely restrictive with what you can put into your system. Overall, it's quite an expensive system for what you actually get in the system. It's about $75 cheaper if you spec out the same system with a 320GB drive but a 320GB drive isn't $75 cheaper. They're putting a premium on the 500GB drive.

You're better off with a place like NCIX or some other shop near you that will put whatever you order together. You get the good deals on the components, the piece of mind that it's put together properly, and it'll end up costing $50 or $100 for assembly.

Comment

You will also usually get better end parts than what DELL will usually put in their systems (except for the higher end XPS systems).
                    |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                    Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

ok thx guys for the help i will keep working on it will post more rig setups heh............ ohh Ncix they want 100 bucks to ship the dam thing that first rig at top of page was almost 2500 bucks with better card ? what about bestbuy ?

Comment

Best Buy will have some decent prices but don't expect to get any kind of service if something goes wrong. You can get the extended warranty with it but it'll be with some crappy BB tech. Don't expect to customize a system either. They usually have the better prices on regular computers for everyday use.

Try a small mom&pop store nearby. I'd take a chance with that for better service.

Comment

Originally posted by Acreo Aeneas View Post
                          I think having two DVD drives is a preference thing. I've always built my systems with a DVD-ROM that I use for installs and gaming and a DVD-Burner just for burning, which allows me quick 1 pass CD/DVD copying and leaves me with a backup drive in case my DVD-ROM fails (which has happened only once in 4 years).
                          I really like having two drives as well. When you do some of those multi-CD or DVD installs it's nice to be able to put two discs in at once, when the first finishes it just starts on the second on your second drive while you put in the next disc in the first drive.

The unattended CD/DVD copy capability is also nice.
                          Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

Comment

Originally posted by ChopStick View Post
                            Why would they put DD2-667 RAM in with a 8800 GTX... Other than that I think that's fine, although they don't mention the brands of any of the components which might be nice to know. Also no power supply is listed or what motherboard is in there (nice to know if it's got slots for ram upgrades or maybe SLI or what kind of chip support it has).
                            they would put DDR2-667 with a 8800GTX because stock, the frontside bus of C2D or Q6600 will NOT make use of anything more, FSB1066 is Quad pumped. divide it by four and get 266 then divide 667 by two and get 333. you CAN actually OVERCLOCK that CPU with the FSB to 1333 and you will not see any improvement from faster memory. unless you're an overclocker, anything faster then 667 is useless. since you can only optimally run the RAM and the processor at a 1 to 1 ratio. and the RAM does nothing when its running faster then this ratio, besides put more load on the memory controller on timing clock cycles between your CPU, FSB, and ram. no performance gain. the real performance at that point is in latencys, low latency ram is a winner for speed. in essence the C2D can't make use of RAM that fast due to the FSB system. on AMD with the Hyper Transport system it's another story, as far as intel goes............................waste of money if you wont overclock don't get DDR2-800 unless you want to make that hole in your pocket deeper at the end of the day.

RAM is the quickest moving market in Computers, unless you overclock. anything over DDR2-667 isn't going to help your performance. and DDR3 will become the norm soon, so best just to wait for that if you wanna spend $ on RAM.

as far as Penryn goes, Intel's new processor it's up for release Nov. 12th and it uses FSB1333. DDR2-667 will still be all you need unless you overclock (chuckles)

Comment

Originally posted by Apophis View Post
                              I really like having two drives as well. When you do some of those multi-CD or DVD installs it's nice to be able to put two discs in at once, when the first finishes it just starts on the second on your second drive while you put in the next disc in the first drive.

The unattended CD/DVD copy capability is also nice.
                              Right, I forgot about that. I often have multiple CD/DVDs in both of my drives. I'll either be installing two different things at once or reading from one and writing to the other.

Besides, 1 drive looks a little empty to me. 3 open wasted bays (unless you install a fan controller like myself).
                              |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                              Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X