wireless adapter/network

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wireless adapter/network

well as some of the guys in the 7th may know my connection speed has become pretty woeful. I currently use an older model of this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16833124158 . My connection has degraded over the last two months, to the point of random disconnects, and semi frequent lag spikes. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16833124010 again I use an older version at least two years old. now getting a direct connection from my comp to router is pretty out of the question as my parents wouldn't like to see a ethernet cable running from my room to the basement, they also don't plan to get it wired through the house for me anytime soon. So I need some suggestions on how to improve my connection, please be simple as my networking knowledge is comparable to a 1st graders next to my normal pc knowledge.

Re: wireless adapter/network

Buy one of those MIMO wireless things and see how they work. You can return them if it doesn't.

To diagnose your problem it would be helpful to see how strong the signal is that you are seeing. The adapter probably comes with a tool that displays SNR, signal strength and stuff like that - at least the number of bars...

Wiring is always the safer option. Theoretically wireless should be fine, but if you send your data through a wired connection it will always be safer and just ... better. Take a look at http://www.vpi.us/cable-sf-cat6.html - flat cable you can put under the carpet. Next time they're out at the opera or a play don't invite your friends - lay some unnoticable cable.

Comment

Well, you could always get a new router and adapter card. If you have narrowed the problem down to both pieces of hardware, then getting new replacements would be the better option.

Try getting this PCI b/g adapter: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16833158017 to replace your current adapter.
      |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
      TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
      Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
      Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

I would second Acreo on the PCI adapter. I noticed significant performance increase and almost 0 drops when I still lived at home. Router placement is also key. Try to find the most direct path with the fewest walls and electronic interference. Again, when I lived at home I moved the router further away from my room to avoid it being so close to the dryer, which caused havoc when running.
        |TG-12th| tHa_KhAn

XBL GT: Khan58

Comment

I order the adapter and I'm going to check with my parents if it's ok to get a new router, also does anyone know a good place to buy 200+ feet of networking cable? I looked on newegg but their selection around 200-400 feet is slim and is supposed to be low quality. I'll just have a cable through the house when my parents aren't around as they are only home on holidays.

Comment

In case you question the linked MSI one, I have two of them in use. One is on a XP machine about 200 feet away from my hub (which is behind me) and behind a drywall and a 3-layer brick wall. I get a nice 76% signal if the brick wall is in the way, otherwise if I have it on the window sill (so the signal only travels through the drywall), I get a strong 92% signal. I have not gotten any dropped packets since installing it on the XP machine last month.

The other one is sitting in the Vista HE machine next to me and gets a perfect 100% signal (6 feet away). The Vista drivers work fine, though they were not included with the CD and I had to download them from MSI's site.

My Router: Linksys WRT54GL

L10N, if you live near Westmont, you can go to the Micro Center there and get all the Cat5E/Cat6 patch cabling that you need (they offer them in huge rolls). The cable is off good quality manufactured by a company that produces networking cable products.
            |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
            Former 9th & 13th

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

didn't know it would work that well. I will test it out, I guess I live nowhere near Westmont as it sounds completely unfamiliar. I'm about an hour northwest of Chicago, pretty close to the Wisconsin border.

Comment

Originally posted by L10N View Post
                well as some of the guys in the 7th may know my connection speed has become pretty woeful. I currently use an older model of this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16833124158 . My connection has degraded over the last two months, to the point of random disconnects, and semi frequent lag spikes. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16833124010 again I use an older version at least two years old. now getting a direct connection from my comp to router is pretty out of the question as my parents wouldn't like to see a ethernet cable running from my room to the basement, they also don't plan to get it wired through the house for me anytime soon. So I need some suggestions on how to improve my connection, please be simple as my networking knowledge is comparable to a 1st graders next to my normal pc knowledge.
                Honestly if I were you I would consider buying a new router and adapter, especially one of the 'draft-n' routers. I know it's not the cheapest solution for you, but I'm sure it beats running a long ass cable down to the basement. I would highly recommend the Belkin Wireless Pre-N Router and its desktop adapter. I have both of these products and can vouch for it's excellent speed and range. I wouldn't worry about being in the basement either as I often take my laptop down in my basement and it still works like a champ. It never goes below 'very good' on the windows signal strength indicator.

Here's a little review of some Wireless N routers in which they have that Belkin router ranked first.

http://compnetworking.about.com/od/w...1nprenhome.htm

Comment

A couple of hours and you could easily run an ethernet through the duct work of your house.

Comment

How many feet of cabling do you need? You might spend about as much just for the cabling alone compared to getting a new PCI adapter card.

And if the problem lies in your router, a direct connection may not solve any packet loss issues (unless your wireless connection signal is weak now).
                    |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                    Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                    X