Memory/Ram question.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Memory/Ram question.

Ok I have the Asus P5n SLI motherboard. It says in the specs that it is Dual-channel DDR2 667/533. Does that mean I can only put 667 MHZ ram in it or can I go to like a 1066 MHZ in it.

I never have understand the hole Memory thing with computers, I have two sticks of Kingston KVR667D2N5/1G 1GB 667MHz DDR2 Non-ECC CL5 DIMM. I was wanting to go to like 4 stick of corsair ram but I do not want to buy a higher MHz if my board well not accept it.

So if anyone can help me on this it would be nice.

Snowman out

Re: Memory/Ram question.

The highest you can run in that board is 667MHz. If you want to run anything higher you gotta change your motherboard.
    sigpic

Comment

You maybe able to put in 1066 memory, but the memory will only clock in at 667.
      |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
      TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
      Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
      Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Originally posted by Acreo Aeneas View Post
        You maybe able to put in 1066 memory, but the memory will only clock in at 667.
        It's probably ok to put in faster memory. But yeah, it'll run at 667Mhz. You can always downclock RAM speeds without any trouble.

The issue is checking for any problems with certain types of RAM and particular motherboards. Asus probably has a RAM compatibility checker. If not, the RAM manufacturer's website might have something.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

Originally posted by =Sarc= View Post
          It's probably ok to put in faster memory. But yeah, it'll run at 667Mhz. You can always downclock RAM speeds without any trouble.

The issue is checking for any problems with certain types of RAM and particular motherboards. Asus probably has a RAM compatibility checker. If not, the RAM manufacturer's website might have something.
          What advantage would there be to putting in faster memory if it is going to down clock to 667 MHz? It sounds like a waist of money but if there is an advantage too it I certainly would like to know what it is. Thanks
          sigpic

Comment

There really isn't any advantage, unless you happen to have a board that might make use of faster memory after a BIOS update (rare).

Building on what Sarc has said about memory compatibility, some motherboard manufacturers may not test for memory compatibility. In which case, you might find compatible memory by looking up your motherboard brand and model on the memory manufacturer's website (ex. Corsair, Kingston, Wintec, etc.).
            |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
            TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
            Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
            Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Thanks alot for all the Answers here, been working hard all week and did not get time to come back and check tell tonight.

Snowman out

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
              X