Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How can I run standard screen on a widescreen monitor?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How can I run standard screen on a widescreen monitor?

Adjust the monitor so a 4:3 resolution image is centered and with (possibly) black bars on both sides of the image? I don't like how the 1680x1050 resolution in Project Reality kills my video card (9800 Pro).

Re: How can I...

You have a 16:10 ratio screen. If you mean having the game center to a 4:3, it currently is not possible unless you run the game as a window rather than running it fullscreen.
    |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
    TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
    Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
    Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Check your video card settings. The last time I used ATI drivers there was a setting for monitor scaling. Make sure it's not set to scale and to provide the source aspect ratio. You may get black bars on top as well to the side depending on the game resolution you use. 1280x1024 is probably the biggest non-widescreen resolution that will fit but it's 5:4 and still quite a high resolution for a 9800 Pro.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

Is that possible with nVidia drivers too? Is that the one with the arrows in the corner within the control panel?
        |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
        Former 9th & 13th

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

In the nVidia control panel, there's the Display category. In there is the Change flat panel scaling. There are several options (NVIDIA scaling, NVIDIA scaling with fixed-aspect ratio, display's scaling, and none) to choose and it also shows your current resolution and native resolution.

Comment

Ah that. I've never touched it since I've always bought/used 4:3 / 5:4 aspect ratio displays. Will have to remember that whenever I get a widescreen.

Well Paper, I hope Sarc nailed that question down. :)
            |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
            Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Ah, well, I'll try and monkey through my CCC settings later, for now my quick fix is to run at 1024x768 in a window.

Comment

It's also useful for 4:3 and 5:4 displays. Some games don't support 5:4 aspect ratios... well, it's just 1280x1024 that it might not support. So you don't really want it stretched when running 1280x960. It's also useful if you can't run at the monitor's native resolution and you want the image scaled to the monitor's size.

Comment

you can right click your shortcut on your desktop and goto the target and add the following at the end of the line +szx 1680 +szy 1050 so it should look like this

"C:\Program Files (x86)\EA GAMES\Battlefield 2\BF2.exe" +modPath mods/pr +menu 1 +fullscreen 1 +szx 1680 +szy 1050

I dont see why you couldn't use whatever resloution you want just put yours in where I have 1680 and 1050.

Enjoy see you on the field!

Comment

Originally posted by =RedBull0808= View Post
                    you can right click your shortcut on your desktop and goto the target and add the following at the end of the line +szx 1680 +szy 1050 so it should look like this

"C:\Program Files (x86)\EA GAMES\Battlefield 2\BF2.exe" +modPath mods/pr +menu 1 +fullscreen 1 +szx 1680 +szy 1050

I dont see why you couldn't use whatever resloution you want just put yours in where I have 1680 and 1050.

Enjoy see you on the field!
                    Maybe because the OP said a 9800Pro can't handle 1680x1050...

Comment

The OP? Huh?

Well in game, the 9800Pro can't handle that resolution. If it was just desktop, it should handle it fine. The max resolution supported for the 9800 Pro: 2048 x 1536.

And wouldn't defining it within the shortcut stretch the picture? Or does defining it within the shortcut perform just as if you scaled the picture to a resolution?
                      |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                      Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Originally posted by =Sarc= View Post
                        Maybe because the OP said a 9800Pro can't handle 1680x1050...
                        Correct he did say that.

Thats why I stated he could put whatever he wanted to in place of my 1680X1050.

Example: +szx 1280 + szy 960

This would give him a true 4:3 aspect ratio.

Comment

as a side note most widescreen monitors have the ability in their menu to set them to a 4:3 ratio. This makes any video card adjustments unnecessary. Working with over 20 brands and models of monitors I have only come accross 1 that did not have this ability built in.

Comment

Originally posted by =RedBull0808= View Post
                            Correct he did say that.

Thats why I stated he could put whatever he wanted to in place of my 1680X1050.

Example: +szx 1280 + szy 960

This would give him a true 4:3 aspect ratio.
                            He may want the black bars though instead of scaling the image to fit the monitor. Scaling the image could distort it or make things look fugly. But there are also options in the graphics drivers to scale the image while maintaining the aspect ratio.

Acreo: OP = Original Poster

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...