teach me about power supplies

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• teach me about power supplies

I am looking at an 8800 gts with 640mb, do I need two power supplies if I go SLI or would 1 1100 watt supply work fine? Also, Nvidia is boasting quad sli, whats that? :)

Any help would be nice. :)

Interested in listening to guitar playing and a good conversation, look for me on TS.

"Hope is for the weak. I hope for nothing. I work for things. That is the only way for events to unfold." -Cleverbot

Re: teach me about power supplies

1100W is more than enough for 8800GTS SLI. Check out http://www.slizone.com/ for some recommended wattage requirements.

Quad SLI is 4 video cards or two GX2's (a GX2 is two video cards in one).

- It's who you game with.

Comment

Originally posted by =Sarc= View Post
      1100W is more than enough for 8800GTS SLI. Check out http://www.slizone.com/ for some recommended wattage requirements.

Quad SLI is 4 video cards or two GX2's (a GX2 is two video cards in one).
      I know of the GX2, but do you think an ''ASUS L1N64-SLI WS Dual L (1207FX) NVIDIA nForce 680a SLI MCP SSI CEB AMD Motherboard'' would work a 4 card set up and does this new board suport the AMD FX-74 processor and does 4 cards mean you need 2 power supplies or just one with MANY power connectors?

Interested in listening to guitar playing and a good conversation, look for me on TS.

"Hope is for the weak. I hope for nothing. I work for things. That is the only way for events to unfold." -Cleverbot

Comment

get on pcmech.com and ask them...but I think they will tell you that 1100w is overkill. Corsair makes a really quality psu.

Comment

2 PSUs? That would be usually for server setups and redundancy.
          |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
          TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
          Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
          Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

When you run out of connectors, you start using splitters and 4-pin molex to pci-e converters. Video cards usually come with these parts.

I wouldn't recommend the AMD 4x4 (2 dual core CPUs and 4 video cards) setup with that Asus L1N64. It uses a lot of power and is insanely expensive. You might as well by a pre-built Alienware or such.

Comment

Well, the rig I would build would total ~$2260.99- $2665.99 and that is if you buy all of those components off of Newegg.com.

Comment

With that kind of budget, you'd better have a GPU better than a 8800 GTS. That's a HUGE budget.

Comment

2200 on new egg can buy you alot of computer. ESPECIALLY if you're not going to buy the OS or monitor. If you don't have a roaring beast with that kind of budget, i might cry.
                  |TG|Switch

Better known as:
                  That noob who crashed the chopper.
                  That noob who ran over the mine.
                  That noob who TK'd me with a sniper rifle.
                  That noob who hit that APC at 300m with light AT! Our APC...

Comment

SLI/Crossfire isn't worth the extra cost or power consumption. You could easily pull off better framerates on a 8800 GTX or a better card (when they release a better card) than going with a SLI setup now.

As far as PSUs are concerned, I usually recommend a name-brand product (Seasonic, Antec, Corsair, Fortron Source/FSP, BFG, etc.). The components are of a higher quality and usually don't have to worry about hardware failure due irregular power flow from your power supply. As important as wattage is, look for PSUs with at least 18A on the +12V1 and +12V2 rails.
                    |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                    TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
                    Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
                    Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

PC Power and Cooling may cost a bit more, but they are the best: http://www.pcpower.com/home/

And they're made in my hometown.:row__523:
                      |TG|Melee
                      Clear Eyes, Full Hearts, Can't Lose!

Comment

thank you for this info. I do not plan on buying any of the parts yet, because of needing to finish the building up my computer funds. I do need to consider the parts then. :)

Comment

4 vid cards??????? people are starving all over this nation.
                          "Everyone makes fun of us rednecks with our big trucks and all our guns........until the zombie apocalypse"

Comment

Originally posted by Acreo Aeneas View Post
                            As important as wattage is, look for PSUs with at least 18A on the +12V1 and +12V2 rails.
                            Yep, watch your AMPS - oddly, I ran across an NVidia GTS that recommended 28A. Only found 2 PSU's that supported 28A at the time.
                            sigpic

Comment

helpful link for psu's jonnyguru.com

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed