Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Computer problem, HELP

I'll do my best to enplane the problem

When I'm playing a game like BF2, Company of Heroes or something that takes a lot of PC power. I can play for a wile or all day then out it locks up all I can do is restart my computer
    and it still does it. Here is the information on my PC

Processor 1
    Name: Intel(R) Pentium(R) D CPU 3.40GHz

Manufacturer: GenuineIntel

Caption: x86 Family 15 Model 6 Stepping 2

Version: Model 6, Stepping 2

Current Clock Speed: 3400MHz

Address Width: 32Bits

Data Width: 32Bits

Socket Designation: LGA 775

Processor 2
    Name: Intel(R) Pentium(R) D CPU 3.40GHz

Manufacturer: GenuineIntel

Caption: x86 Family 15 Model 6 Stepping 2

Version: Model 6, Stepping 2

Current Clock Speed: 3400MHz

Address Width: 32Bits

Data Width: 32Bits

Socket Designation: LGA 775

Memory Module 1
    Capacity: 1024MB

Bank Label: DIMM #1

Mem_Type: DDR2-SDRAM

Mem_Bandwidth: PC5300 (333 MHz)

Memory Module 2
    Capacity: 1024MB

Bank Label: DIMM #2

Mem_Type: DDR2-SDRAM

Mem_Bandwidth: PC5300 (333 MHz)

Caption: NVIDIA GeForce 7900 GTX
    Adapter RAM: 512MB
    DriverVersion: 6.14.10.8421
    Verified Hardware Device against Order: VID-EV7900GTX512PCIE
    Connect Power Cable
    Test Video Card

Re: Computer problem, HELP

Sounds like you video card is overheating (or possibly some other component)

Install ATITOOLS (yes it works with nvidia cards): http://www.techpowerup.com/atitool/
    to view the temperature of your vid card.

And the intel thermal analysis tool (TAT): http://www.techpowerup.com/downloads/392/
    This will display the temp of your cpu.

A google search should be able to tell you if your temps are reasonable for your hardware.

Also, you can try taking the side of you case off and position a fan to blow air in and see if you can recreate the problem. While it's open, make sure all your fans are working and they aren't caked with dust.

HTH

Comment

Originally posted by JAMerica View Post
      Sounds like you video card is overheating (or possibly some other component)

Install ATITOOLS (yes it works with nvidia cards): http://www.techpowerup.com/atitool/
      to view the temperature of your vid card.

And the intel thermal analysis tool (TAT): http://www.techpowerup.com/downloads/392/
      This will display the temp of your cpu.

A Google search should be able to tell you if your temps are reasonable for your hardware.

Also, you can try taking the side of you case off and position a fan to blow air in and see if you can recreate the problem. While it's open, make sure all your fans are working and they aren't caked with dust.

HTH
      does not look like it is the video card it does not spike
      as for the intel thermal analysis tool it does not work for my CPU
      thx for the help keep it coming if you can

Comment

Originally posted by Lord_Zarfax View Post
        does not look like it is the video card it does not spike
        as for the intel thermal analysis tool it does not work for my CPU
        thx for the help keep it coming if you can
        Whoops, sorry about TAT. Try speedfan: http://www.almico.com/speedfan433.exe

I don't understand what you mean by your video card doesn't spike. What are the temps?

Did you try taking the side of you case off and see if that helps?

Comment

You could also try removing the side panel and facing a house fan on your PC. It should help with the temps and determine if that is the problem. Then we can figure out which components are overheating. This might be a better method if you can't figure out the temp monitor software or can't get a reading before you crash.

It could also be the drivers, memory or some other bad hardware. We can start narrowing the possibilities with the cheapest (aka free) methods before replacing components. If you have access to borrowing parts, this would really help. The cheapest attempt to fix this is a reboot :p but realistically that'll do squat. Update all your drivers and then reboot. It could stabilize the system just by having newer drivers but I doubt it.

Check the Windows error logs. You may have to google how to find that since I can't remember how to find them off the top of my head. I think it's right-click My Computer then select Manage to access the console where you can see logs, hardware, permissions, services, etc. Look for anything around the time you crash.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

I believe the error logs are kept within the C:/Windows folder.

Install SpeedFan or PC Wizard 2007 and tell us (if you can) what your CPU temp is on load.

I know that my Pentium D will overheat in a mildly warm room when on load (stock cooling). So that may also be the case with yours.
            |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
            TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
            Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
            Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

The quickest way to get to the event logs is to run «eventvwr» (start, run, eventvwr).

DB

«That looks like a really nice house except for that horrible bathroom.» Donrhos

| |

Comment

on what may be a side note, you may want to check out your power supply. That's a decent amount of pull for a normal stock power supply to handle. The ones that come in most cases/with most computers are crap.

a good power supply can smooth out a lot of rough edges when it comes to hardware/overheating issues.

you can't just go by power rating either, a good 500 watter will outperform a cheap 750 every day, just like audio amps.

Comment

sorry the temp that the ati tool gives me does not change much
                  I figured if the temp did not spike it was not the video card
                  does that help

Comment

Originally posted by Dick Blonov View Post
                    The quickest way to get to the event logs is to run «eventvwr» (start, run, eventvwr).

DB
                    Ah, the event viewer is available under Manage when right-click on My Computer. I access it this way since it doesn't involve typing. Plus, the Computer Management consolve has access to a lot of information like the device manager and disk management.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

people thx for the help I think I found the problem "DUST" how bout that in the in the heat sink on the CPU you should have see how much came out. It runs better now and not as loud that should have been a clue the noise the fan was working to hard again thx for the help

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                      X