Yet another pc build

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yet another pc build

Right, I live in the UK so not that shops are limited here compared to the USA. Thes best place there is atm is www.overclockers.co.uk as far as i know. But here is my pc build, I am keeping my old mouse, screen, keyboard, speakers (marshall 100watt amp (very dangerous)), and dvd drive. But everything else in teh box is new, so if i have forgotten something and need something else, or two things wotn fit please tell me. Im roughly tryign to spend around £600 ($1000).

Processor, MoBo, Ram (AMD 64x 5600+, Asus M2N-SLi Deluxe, 2GB Corsair XMS2-6400C5) = £230
    http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showpr...339&subcat=944

Case (antec Nine Hundred) = £80
    http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showpr...odid=CA-065-AN

GPU (OcUK GeForce 8800 GTS 320MB) = £200
    http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showpr...odid=GX-054-OK

Hard drive (Western Digital RAID Edition 320GB SATA-II 16MB Cache) = £50
    http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showpr...-103-WD&tool=3

PSU (OCZ StealthXStream 600w Silent SLI Ready ATX2 Power Supply) = £60
    http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showpr...odid=CA-023-OC
    Before you judge a man, try walking a mile in their shoes first. That way your a mile away and you have their shoes.

Re: Yet another pc build

I figure somebody here will mention that WD harddrives suck for reliability but they're A-Ok in my books. I had a WD IDE drive for over 5 years without any trouble. Eventually, I retired the drive just because I had to move to SATA.

The rest of the build looks pretty good. It's similar to what I would have bought before I saw the C2D benchmarks when they came out. What's up with the prices of cases over there?! That's one expensive case... unless it's 80 after VAT.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

If I were you, I'd switch the GPU to this:

ATi Radeon HD 2900 Pro
      http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showpr...=56&subcat=922
      which is faster in most applications than the 320MB 8800 and overclocks like nobody's business.
      sigpic

Comment

thats £80 including VAT.
        thanks, if that card really is better thats a good thing, also it is cheaper which is always a good thing.
        Also aby advice on an os to use, considering im a student and am going to uni next year. Also shoudl I be looking for a 64bit or a 32bti one????
        And finally, will that power supply do?
        Before you judge a man, try walking a mile in their shoes first. That way your a mile away and you have their shoes.

Comment

32-bit Vista. I would leave the 64-bit alone since it has not become mainstream yet.

PSU, for that build: yes. It should work fine even if you swapped the 8800 for the 2900.

If you plan on overclocking the ATI card, I'd advise on replacing the stock cooler with a aftermarket cooler. The ATI cards tend to heat up fairly quickly during load and I doubt they designed the stock cooler with overclocking in mind.

I'm one of those that don't recommend WD if you're going for data retention and reliability. Otherwise, if you don't care and want the shorter write/read times, the WDs deliver (especially the raptors - 10,000 rpm spin).
          |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
          TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
          Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
          Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

how much do you reckon a raptor 10,000 increase pc performance???

Comment

also finally, will i need a thermal compound for my proccessor?

Comment

Originally posted by alexandermottram View Post
                also finally, will i need a thermal compound for my proccessor?
                I believe stock coolers come with a thermal pad. So no. Unless you are getting an aftermarket cooler, then yes.

Comment

Originally posted by Acreo Aeneas View Post
                  If you plan on overclocking the ATI card, I'd advise on replacing the stock cooler with a aftermarket cooler. The ATI cards tend to heat up fairly quickly during load and I doubt they designed the stock cooler with overclocking in mind.
                  The 2900 Pro has the same cooler as the 2900 XT so it should at least be safe to clock to the same speeds as the XT.
                  sigpic

Comment

thankyou for your help

Comment

Originally posted by alexandermottram View Post
                      how much do you reckon a raptor 10,000 increase pc performance???
                      I've never tried one but I don't feel the need to get one. Games loaded pretty fast even on my old IDE drive with 8MB cache. I don't think it's worth the cost of getting a 10,000 RPM drive plus the possibility of making your system too loud.

Comment

Originally posted by =Sarc= View Post
                        I've never tried one but I don't feel the need to get one. Games loaded pretty fast even on my old IDE drive with 8MB cache. I don't think it's worth the cost of getting a 10,000 RPM drive plus the possibility of making your system too loud.
                        I do think you'd notice a difference but I don't think the increase in speed is worth it. Those 10k drives are noisy and they run pretty hot. Just grab a nice 16MB cache SATA/300 drive.
                        sigpic

Comment

I never experienced any difference in load times when I switched from IDE to a SATA drive. It's really not that big a difference but I'm sure the 10,000RPM drive has a better load time. Sometimes I loaded faster in Raven Shield with an IDE drive than someone using software RAID.

Comment

Originally posted by =Sarc= View Post
                            I never experienced any difference in load times when I switched from IDE to a SATA drive. It's really not that big a difference but I'm sure the 10,000RPM drive has a better load time. Sometimes I loaded faster in Raven Shield with an IDE drive than someone using software RAID.
                            For what it's worth. My friend runs a WD raptor raid array. I run a single 7200 RPM sata drive. Map load time difference ? 1-2 seconds.

DB

«That looks like a really nice house except for that horrible bathroom.» Donrhos

| |

Comment

Okay, well I will stick with the western digi cause it is cheaper.
                              now, windows home, premium or ultimate??

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X