Time for vista upgrade?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Time for vista upgrade?

Now that vista has been out for a while id like your opnions on which version to purchase, or is it even worth it to upgrade yet.

Sarcoma
    Sarcoma.

Re: Time for vista upgrade?

Has SP1 even come out yet? I'm contemplating the change once I get my new system going, but I definitely won't go Vista unless SP1 is out by then. So I suppose I'm in the same boat as Sarcoma here, looking for opinions and all.
    [squadl]
    "I am the prettiest african-american, vietnamese..cong..person." -SugarNCamo

Comment

im sure others will get more into detail, but quick and dirty, from my experience -

DX10. This is prolly the main reason gamers will upgrade. Not too many visual upgrades from dx9 aside from some very pretty volumetric lighting, however it allows more performance, which in turns allows you to crank up the graphics more. Not too many dx10 games out and if they do have dx10, arent fully optimized for it. The only game that ive played with dx10 and great performance is World in Conflict. Seeing that game with everything maxed will make you want to upgrade by itself. And Crysis is on the doorstep. Plus a lot more games in the future will no doubt be dx10. Basically dx10 is the future. Im sure dx9 will stay around for a while, it will get phased out eventually but thats prolly not gonna be for a while.

Other than that, its got some nice UI tweaks and visual flair. The search feature on everything you do is great. Security seems to be better. And i download stuff a LOT quicker than on XP. I mainly use it for DX10 though. So other users will likely tell you other features that i dont use.

As for which version, most liekly youll want premium at the very least as basic doesnt give you a lot of extra features that premium does. You can find a compare chart on microsoft's webpage.

And if you do get it, get OEM as its much cheaper.

So basically, if you want dx10 and faster d/l speeds, get it....if youre happy with dx9...XP will do you just as good.

As for SP1, the critical updates that will be included in SP1 are found here -

http://www.extremetech.com/article2/...2177716,00.asp

they really help the stability and performance of vista, so if youre waiting for SP1, theres really no reason to wait anymore.

Comment

I'm staying the hell away from Vista until they pry my XP from my cold dead hands.

Or until I absolutely, positively, must have a game that will not work otherwise.

Comment

I don't see anything wrong with using Vista right now. I've been using it almost since release. I find the stability to be on par with XP. It isn't slow and is quite normal to use. If you need to buy a new OS, you might as well get Vista. Otherwise, you're going to pay again when you want/have to upgrade to Vista.

It seems a lot of users don't want to upgrade because they think it's a cash grab by MS or the OS is utter crap. There are substantial features in Vista that's worth the upgrade. One of them is a push towards more friendly gaming. I really think MS is moving in the right direction to make PC gaming a bit easier and more enjoyable. The new sidebar is pretty cool to have but definitely not necessary.

The main problems I've had is obsolete hardware not being supported. It's bound to happen and I think it's ok. The other problems are with the USB drivers. For some reason, my desktop has severe trouble with certain USB devices being recognized. It takes several attempts to get the device installed correctly. Oddly, my Vista laptop has no problems at all.

Main perks: DX10, sidebar, games explorer, support for future games

It's not really a big list of noticeable perks but I wouldn't recommend moving to Vista if you already have doubts and can reuse your current copy of XP.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

32bit or 64?

Snail is right on the OEM...MUCH less expensive.

sarcoma
            Sarcoma.

Comment

If you're getting 4GB RAM (I think that's too much right now), you need 64-bit. However, 64-bit isn't really stable on the drivers. There are still some shaky bits that might make you want to stick with 32-bit.

I'm using Vista Business on my desktop and Home on my laptop. There doesn't seem to be much difference from a gaming perspective. The difference in features doesn't really affect a gamer.

Comment

roger that Sarc.

Thanks for your time everybody.

Sarcoma
                Sarcoma.

Comment

Originally posted by =Sarc= View Post
                  If you're getting 4GB RAM (I think that's too much right now), you need 64-bit. However, 64-bit isn't really stable on the drivers. There are still some shaky bits that might make you want to stick with 32-bit.
                  Does 64-bit work well in any sort of 32-bit compatibility mode? I know that games are eventually going to be 64-bit, but I believe it's a ways off and are staying 32-bit for now. If I upgrade to Vista, I want to make sure I don't have to jack around with stuff more than absolutely necessary, and I've read it can be a big pain in the 64-bit version. In a sense, I just want my games to work. Better off staying with 32-bit for now? (keep in mind that upgrading/money later isn't a problem, I work for a University tech department)
                  [squadl]
                  "I am the prettiest african-american, vietnamese..cong..person." -SugarNCamo

Comment

Just from reading tech support forums for the various games I play, the 64bit version of Vista usually gets a hell of a lot more posts about various problems.

Comment

If you get the retail version of Vista 32-bit, you can get the 64-bit version from Microsoft for like $20 (or if you get the retail Ultimate, it comes with both)

Comment

I'd be careful with OEM, have heard weird lisence issues were you can only install it a few times before needing to buy another activation key. Don't quote me on it, but I would go and read MS's fine print before buying the OEM.

Comment

Originally posted by SmokingTarpan View Post
                          Does 64-bit work well in any sort of 32-bit compatibility mode? I know that games are eventually going to be 64-bit, but I believe it's a ways off and are staying 32-bit for now. If I upgrade to Vista, I want to make sure I don't have to jack around with stuff more than absolutely necessary, and I've read it can be a big pain in the 64-bit version. In a sense, I just want my games to work. Better off staying with 32-bit for now? (keep in mind that upgrading/money later isn't a problem, I work for a University tech department)
                          We're still probably a few years before 64-bit becomes worthwhile in the home market. 32-bit works just great right now so I don't see a requirement to move to 64-bit just yet. We'll have to see how the RAM requirement goes as that's probably one of the more important reasons to move to 64-bit. As it stands, I think 2GB is perfect for gaming and should be sufficient for the next couple of years.

Comment

I love my Vista. Had it since release nearly. The OS itself just seems much more streamlined and even a bit quicker. It handles RAM MUCH better then XP does, even to the effect of using FlashRAM if you've got it. Pagefiles are also much better dealt with.

Another big thing is... it doesnt crash as much to me. It seems to recover and break out of locks a lot easier then xp did, then again... that coulda been due to my prior system.

Windows Media Center for Vista is a pretty slick tool. If you've got a built-in TV tuner then you've got your DVR right there with that software.

Burning CD/DVDs is also a bit easier and quicker with Vista as well compared to XP.

There are a LOT of other neat trix Vista does, I havent learned them all yet by any means. Definitely worth the purchase IMO. Dont waste time with XP.

Comment

I have Vista premium on the floor next to my tower collecting dust until Crysis comes out and I still to this day October see majority of game forums vista problems are guys with 64 bit, I want to use 64 bit because of my processor so still on the fence on installing Vista right now... And plus talking to reading all the posts from the gaming forums is my best info on vista other than standard "sale of vista" from tech sites..

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X